Author Topic: The Everyone Think Really Hard And Make Rangefinder Useful Thread  (Read 78631 times)

Offline OverlordEgg

• Salutes: 2
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Re: The Everyone Think Really Hard And Make Rangefinder Useful Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2016, 05:33:14 pm »
Well it seems we're all in agreement -- how can we make this happen?

If you want to help out more you can email feedback@musegames.com and bug them reference this thread, although during the dev fireside chat yesterday when I asked "are you going to do anything with the rangefinder anytime soon" they replied with a surprisingly definite "yes" so it's possible they've already been reading this thread. Still, it can't hurt to try anyway just in case.

Offline Akagify

• Salutes: 0
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2016, 01:31:13 pm »
Well I like the idea with arcs, but what about having the rangefinder show the horizontal and vertical angle to the enemy ship in relation to your ship?

One idea could be to give the ships center points, and no matter where on the ship the rangefinder would be used it would give the angles between those fixed points on the ships.

I also like the thought of making the rangefinder work somewhat better on already spotted ships as some have mentioned earlier in the thread, maybe by then relying the information to the whole ship or just directly to the person on the helm when clicking a marked target... Possibly as a timed effect, like 5 secs or something before needing to be done again? Then whether or not it would be too much to let that limited effect last the time out even when dropping the rangefinder for a second I can't tell.

That would help the captain keep the ship in a position where the guns would be in arc and would in some cases make builds with very slim/focused arc possible so I just thought it could be interesting =X

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2016, 11:10:10 am »
most players (even noobs) can shoot accurately at 700m. Having help at that range and below is so pointless.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2016, 03:49:01 pm »
I disagree max. In a blenderfish duel every millisecond counts. In the end it comes down to twitch reaction and ping.. but having a rangefinder can't hurt.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2016, 05:55:29 pm »
I disagree max. In a blenderfish duel every millisecond counts. In the end it comes down to twitch reaction and ping.. but having a rangefinder can't hurt.

Heavy clip, lochnagar and heavy carronade nerfs have kind of ruined blenderfish duels. But yes, it once had a very good niche for it.

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2016, 09:36:31 pm »
I don't mind the rangefinder bringing up the distance between yourself and the target. If it brings up the target hull and armour health bars up as well, that would be sweet.

I don't find it a problem for the rangefinder to highlight a projectile path of a given weapon the shooter is operating.... as long as it only shows the path that normal ammo would take, doesn't calculate the leading required to hit a moving targeted, nor calculate for the Coriolis effect if your ship is moving. If a ghost projectile path is too powerful, what about a ghost projectile instead? The spotter would have to keep a continuous bead on the target for the gunner to see the path that the ghost projectile takes, otherwise it disappears and the spotter can't go off to repair.

Because it would simply be bullshit if this tool allow newbie gunners to hit a squid going at full throttle from 1500 meters away while their own ship is being rocked about from minotaur fire. You want to make this tool more useful, not overpower it. Maybe give the rangefinder a minimum zoom level where it would discourage or at least make impractical to use at close range. Ie powerful binoculars to read a sign that is only ten meters away
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:04:14 pm by Mr.Bando »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2016, 04:53:00 am »
Thematically the range finder was never used to assess damage on a ship.

It was the spy glass that was used for that. Plus the vagueness of a ship's condition is kind of an important factor in combat. If we see every kind of information in the game, its all just boring number crunching as opposed to a far more interesting game of probability.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2016, 07:24:18 pm »

It was the spy glass that was used for that. Plus the vagueness of a ship's condition is kind of an important factor in combat. If we see every kind of information in the game, its all just boring number crunching as opposed to a far more interesting game of probability.

Thematically the spyglass was never used for combination forward looking infra red, infra red search track, multiple target tracking and identification with radar applications.

But that's what it does at the moment.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2016, 12:44:13 am »

Thematically the spyglass was never used for combination forward looking infra red, infra red search track, multiple target tracking and identification with radar applications.

But that's what it does at the moment.

actually, all the spy glass does at the moment is ruin immersion, Gomer. It would be nice if the GOIO community could get a utilitiy tool that did not give a distinct advantage to the "try hards' of the community. The spyglass is seriously the equivalent of chemspray. The only people that know how to utilize it properly are tryhard Ryder clans (you, Gomer) and stacked 45 lobbies.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2016, 02:46:49 am »
I lol'd at Gomer