Author Topic: Planes in the world: designs and inspiration.  (Read 7923 times)

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
Planes in the world: designs and inspiration.
« on: March 14, 2016, 05:17:16 am »
In some recent writing in the Cantina, a doubt came to me: that aircrafts in the Goio world.
Are they inspired more by WWI or WWII? From what nations?
Now I will annoy y'all with my opinions.

Angelan Republic:
since apparently Anglean cities are mostly underground, there shouldn't be a lot of space for aircrafts to take off. For this fact I believe that carrier-transported fighter could be more fitting, since they need reduced space to take off and land.
Especially something like the Sea Hurricane Mk II C.
That fighter craft was very stable, light and manoeuvrable, characteristics that would make it fitting to fly around the mountainous places of Anglea.
Also its weaponry fits perfectly Anglea: 4 Hispano cannons.
As one could guess, cannons deal more rough damage than a machine gun, but are also more difficult to fit in an airplane. So the Anglean Superior Engineering could be why this craft has this kind of firepower.
Manoeuvrability, speed, firepower- Anglea.

Yeshan Empire:
Always empires need something to scare eventual dissidents, so what better kind of craft could be fitting for Yesha than the German crafts?
I say that the models Yeaha would use are the Bf 109 F-1 and F-4 and the JU-88 "Screaming Death" Stuka.
AKA Flying propaganda and terror craft.
Yesha is an extremely big faction, with a lot of people, and so also a lot of soldiers.
While essentially the common pilot could be equipped with an F-1, elite pilots could have the F-4, that had better performances all around and could also carry extra guns.
"Why exactly these two?" You may ask. Well, I think both these craft are fitting for Yesha because they can reach high cruising speed, climb quickly and hit with surgical precision; all characteristics that fit perfectly Yeshan geography-> mountains and various flatlands.
The Stuka, with it's screaming sounds when diving can easily be used en masse to make a nice show of force to say "The Empire is strong!"
Also, ground assaults, Yeshan troops are many, but every infantryman likes friendly air strikes.

Fjord Baronies:
The fjords require capable dog fighters and planes that can readily turn.
Given that, and given the fact that the Barony territory is quite impervious too, I think that Japanese planes are the ones fitting this faction.
The famous Mitsubishi A6M Zero would be perfect for it, an extremely fast turn time, good energy retention, great acceleration and weaponry that could be easily mass-produced by a state like the Baronies.
The baronies value maneuvearvilityabove speed, beacuse, given their landscape, too much speed can make you crash either on a fjord or on a mountain. While if you have enough manoeuvrability and stability you could easily dodge them, and not crash.
Baronies: like the angleans, only with less.

Order of Chaladon

Weeeeeeeeeell.........
*uuhing intensifies*
I don't know, maybe something like the American XP-55 Ascender?
Or the Japanes Kyushu 7W?
"Muh peaceful people. Muh ingenious engineers."
Really, I have no idea about them.

Neither I have any idea about Arashi or Guild planes.
The Arashi shouldn't use planes in that sandstorm-filled land of theirs.
The Guild is so money filled that they could use every mercenary in the world and still have wealth to spare.
Maybe they would use beastly planes like the German Do-217J, or the American P-38 Lightning.
Both have enough forward fire power that an frontal engagement with them would be a free death sentence.
"Muh muny."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:41:55 am by Crow of Cainhurst »

Offline C r o w

• [Lock]
    • View Profile
Re: Planes in the world: designs and inspiration.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:39:57 am »
Inb4 Alliance mode testers already know the design of each faction's planes.

Offline C r o w

• [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:44:53 am »
I also suppose that the independent cities, like Anvala,
(AKA "That place filled with a whole bunch of guns), would have American designs.
Muh mass prodaktion, muh gunz.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:33:42 am »
There is a thread somewhere where one player gives their opinion on why the planes should not look WWII but should look WWI, find that thread you should get more details...

But ultimately they look more WWII.

Offline C r o w

• [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 11:27:54 am »
There is a thread somewhere where one player gives their opinion on why the planes should not look WWII but should look WWI, find that thread you should get more details...

But ultimately they look more WWII.
I actually read it a few days ago and I find it truthful.
But at the current moment, the look in-game WWII-ish.

Probably their line of thought about the plane design was:
"We have skywhales, so why the flak shouldn't we make the plane look WWII-ish?!?"

Here, I was just theorising what real planes could be fitting for the various states in the GoI world, basing on their geography, fighting style and specs.

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »
the conflict that sets the high water mark started more or less ww1 tech, but it evolved as the war went on for decades. it stands to reason then that the airplane combat technology would have imporooved a lot since open topped bi-planes.

id love to jump in on the whole which airplanes for which faction discussion but i know most of nothing about the subject, so i can really only offer what i've already posted on the culture and relative values of the various factions in other posts.