Author Topic: Suggestion: Ships tilting more when turning  (Read 6291 times)

Offline Pete

• Salutes: 3
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Ships tilting more when turning
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:24:09 pm »
Hi all,

I suggest that when ships turn, they tilt a lot more.
Also when it is rammed by other ships, outside physical objects (e.g buildings) or minotaur gun

The tilt should be proportional to the ship's size, weight and height.
Also to the force applied to tilt the ship

By adding tilts, the game will change:
1. Allow pilots to turn strategically so broadside guns can shoot up or down
2. Forcing pilot to avoid turning to help gunners aim their guns
3. Making gunners time their shots well based on tilt of the ships
4. Making minotaur guns far more useful
5. Allow more strategic harpooning
6. Allow more strategic ramming
and many more

Please comment with feedback

Thanks

[AI]Pete
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:26:05 pm by Pete »

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Ships tilting more when turning
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:05 pm »
I always thought it would be a neat thing to have. I noticed that the ships sort of tilt when going down or up really fast.

Offline Skymonger

• Salutes: 22
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:18:19 pm »
Something about this doesn't sit right with me....physics wise anyway.
I'm all for a more dynamic type of airship ride but...think about it.

The turning power is generated from the back of the ship via turner engines.
The force is pushing the ship forward just with one side engine pushing with more force than the other, causing the ship to turn.
How can this cause "tilt"?  Tilting would imply that a force is being directed at the side or lower areas of the ship causing it to "swing" up and down  while hanging under the balloon.

If the two turner engines are pushing the ship forward, that wouldn't cause the ship to tilt...but rather "twist" the ship unequally left or right...right?

Please help me. I'm speaking on pure conjecture.

That doesn't make sense to me.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 10:39:22 am »
The force is pushing the ship forward just with one side engine pushing with more force than the other, causing the ship to turn.
How can this cause "tilt"?  Tilting would imply that a force is being directed at the side or lower areas of the ship causing it to "swing" up and down  while hanging under the balloon.

I looked this up, because I've long been curious (especially since I once attempted to code up a slightly more realistic set of airship controls in Unity).

Blimps (and thus I'm assuming zeppelins) CAN roll, just not that much. This is due to the force of the turning engine being affected by the drag of air, specifically on the parts farthest from the engines, much in the same way that the hull of a boat is subject to water drag, causing the boat to roll into turns. So realistically the ship WOULD turn slightly into rotations, although I'd imagine not a hugely significant amount given the force the engines have to put out (to move that much metal) vs. the weaker resistance that air provides over water.

...and you have no idea how hard that was to confirm. There's basically no information easily accessible on the mechanics of blimp / zeppelin flight.

Offline Pete

• Salutes: 3
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:39:32 am »
Maybe there is another way we can add this tilt/roll mechanic.

These ships are airborne, thus they are subject to wind.
Similar to ships on water, they are subject to forces from the waves

What do you guys think about having ships roll back and forth/left and right in the wind when they are idle?
Maybe also when they are mobile, but not as much due to acceleration forces and momentum.

That will make gunning and piloting a lot more interesting.
Galleons may be able to shoot directly up if the gunners time their shots right

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 02:47:58 am »
What do you guys think about having ships roll back and forth/left and right in the wind when they are idle?
Maybe also when they are mobile, but not as much due to acceleration forces and momentum.

That will make gunning and piloting a lot more interesting.
Galleons may be able to shoot directly up if the gunners time their shots right

Given that this is effectively randomized if it's not tied to the pilot's control, I'm incredibly opposed to it. Nothing would be more annoying than being in the perfect position at the perfect time and losing the engagement because window you can't really predict blew your gun arcs off.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 02:51:16 am »

I looked this up, because I've long been curious (especially since I once attempted to code up a slightly more realistic set of airship controls in Unity).

Blimps (and thus I'm assuming zeppelins) CAN roll, just not that much. This is due to the force of the turning engine being affected by the drag of air, specifically on the parts farthest from the engines, much in the same way that the hull of a boat is subject to water drag, causing the boat to roll into turns. So realistically the ship WOULD turn slightly into rotations, although I'd imagine not a hugely significant amount given the force the engines have to put out (to move that much metal) vs. the weaker resistance that air provides over water.

...and you have no idea how hard that was to confirm. There's basically no information easily accessible on the mechanics of blimp / zeppelin flight.

Yup, and keeping that in mind it should be worth noting, ships do get effected in game a little by this.

Most noticeable on a gold fish, lower altitude while reversing will.give the furthest downward gun arcs possible on a goldfish, the side ways tilt on most ships is not very noticeable, but it is there, too much more would be exaggerated.