Author Topic: Cronus League Week 8!  (Read 12270 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Cronus League Week 8!
« on: February 22, 2016, 12:29:16 am »
Cronus League Week 8 is almost here! Week 8 and week 9 are the last of the regular matches, this is every team's final chance to get into the top 4! Follow the link below for the pairings for week 8. Go to the 'week 8' tab on the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wbh1ATjh3L_ddCPECpgHHoajWfmxjHj3JDoPiMSUXnU

Remember to let me know asap if you see any issues/mistakes. If there are any concerns about the weeks previous matches (last second swaps, ally letting the enemy win purposely, etc), bring it to my attention as soon as possible.

Best of luck to all the teams!

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
Re: Cronus League Week 8!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:19:11 am »
So Green Sun Rising, at 19th place in Week Seven, takes a break for a week... and their substitute team, Rhea, along with Skyborne, win all three matches... and now Green Sun Rising is in 9th place for Week Eight. No one has an issue with this besides me? And no, I'm not bringing it up because Green Sun Rising is my ally this week. It was nonsense from the beginning, when we faced Rhea and Skyborne in Round 1 of Week Seven.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:32:32 am »
So Green Sun Rising, at 19th place in Week Seven, takes a break for a week... and their substitute team, Rhea, along with Skyborne, win all three matches... and now Green Sun Rising is in 9th place for Week Eight. No one has an issue with this besides me? And no, I'm not bringing it up because Green Sun Rising is my ally this week. It was nonsense from the beginning, when we faced Rhea and Skyborne in Round 1 of Week Seven.

Yea, doesn't make sense that GSR take points that Rhea won. Might want to look into that, Thomas.

Offline The Cunning Linquist

• Salutes: 2
    • [AFNC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:39:13 pm »
Ya that must be a mistake.  That wasn't how it worked for us when we were subbed in week 1.  We came in at 858 in week 2.

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 01:04:38 pm »
God forbid there be more complaining.

Anyway, yeah. Probably shouldn't work like that. Feel free to rank us how you want.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:25:47 pm »
Well, when AFNC was subbed for, your sub team lost every single match and you would have started at 700 some-odd points. Since the rules aren't specific on what happens when a team is subbed for, I've chosen to go with extremely lenient.

Now we can certainly have GSR have earned 0 points. But then we can also have teams complain about losing points to the subbed team. Should those teams have lost point? Does Skyborne deserve to have those points from the matches they won? We could argue that we should just nullify all those point losses/gains and say those matches were just for entertainment.

We can also argue that Unlgorious Rastorz not showing up prevented Kajiggrs from earning any points. Should we award Kajiggrs points? Do other teams deserve to have won points because Kajiggrs/Unglorious Rastorz couldn't play?

Take your time.

Offline The Cunning Linquist

• [AFNC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 08:20:51 pm »
Since the rules aren't specific on what happens when a team is subbed for, I've chosen to go with extremely lenient.

Well, when we were subbed for, we lost 5% of our points every game, moving us from 1000 points to 858.  Wouldn't this be the precedent?  That was a situation where we a team asked for a break and a sub WAS found.  I'm looking at rule 18.b:

"If no substitute team can be arranged, the matches will count as a loss. No points will be deducted from the ally team and only 5% points will be deducted from the team on break"

It seems like in our case you treated this rule as what happens to a team on break regardless of whether or not a sub is found.  I realize that's not quite how the rule reads, but that's what the precedent is.  I don't believe GSR should be awarded points for not playing and I believe there should be a 5% penalty (as was applied to us) to discourage teams from taking a break.

As to your second point, I believe in that same case you let the winning teams still keep their points, so I would let SkBo keep their winnings from the week.  It doesn't seem necessary to nullify the match.  Give points to SkBo and deduct points from the losing teams as normal and track the points that the sub team got.  If they ever enter the tournament they can enter with their current score based on their winnings this weekend.  Again, I believe this is what you did in week 1.

To your third point, we should not award Kajiggrs points. Rule 16:

"If a team is a no-show, the match will count as a loss for their pair. All points lost will come from the team that did not show (20%). The winning pair will receive points as if they had won 10% from each team."

In one of the weeks we had No Hug Me I'm Scared not show and I don't believe their partner team was awarded any points.  When we didn't play 6th week because NHMIS dropped out, we weren't awarded any points.  I believe the precedent would be to keep Kajiggrs at the score with which they entered week 7.

TL;DR
1) GSR should lose 5% of their week 7 score per game
2) The matches should not be nullified and SkBo and all other involved teams should have their scores adjusted accordingly
3) Kajiggrs score should not change.

I hope none of these teams take any of these statements personally.  I promise that everything here was said in a spirit of openness and fairness and I certainly don't mean to offend.

-Cunning

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 08:40:02 pm »
Let me try this again.

You (A Fine Nights Curse) SHOULD have started week 2 with 729 points. In my moment of charitable goodwill, you instead started with 858. Your ally and sub team got stomped. On the other hand, Skyborne and GSR's sub did quite well, so you want me to give them the shaft.

Overwhelming pettiness or not, the points will stand.

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 09:14:54 pm »
Honestly, given precedent, I'm fine with a 5% deduction for us, and full points for Skyborne, who amply deserve it. I am grateful for Sky Slicers for subbing for us, and my personal investment in actually winning this tournament is pretty much null. I'm playing because I enjoyed playing to the best of my ability in something more competitive than pubs.  I gladly willing to state that there are simply ships and clans out there that are currently simply *better* than us. I do not intend to scrape for points in a desperate attempt to stay in the running for finals.

Not having the chance to be in the finals will not negatively affect my experience, so let's aim for consistency, instead. I'm pretty rusty, and this just isn't my meta. (Have I mentioned I hate midrange combat? Because I hate midrange combat.) I've still had fun, and GSR always enjoys a chance to compete with, and partner with new clans.

That said, I will gladly still fight for the title of "above average ship."  :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:18:08 pm by DrTentacles »

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 11:05:30 pm »
In all honesty, this is Thomas' event. I feel that someone who has the dedication, knowledge, and resources to establish and maintain an event on the scope of the Cronus League should not have their judgement questioned. This is a great event that has gone relatively smooth. Every team involved is being treated in a fair and polite manner. I have not seen any instance where a team's inquiry was not answered justly and appropriately.

The scores are the way they are because of careful and thoughtful consideration. I personally find it a bit concerning that there are any complaints. Let us not forget that this event should foremost be about fun. The scoring helps to determine who performed the best but it certainly does not determine who had the most memorable and entertaining moments of gameplay.

I respect your decisions, Thomas. I find them fitting to the given situation. After having looked at the scores I feel that it was a good choice on your part. I read through the rules that were posted. However, those rules should be subject to interpretation, especially by the event organizer. It is his job to ensure a fair and fun competition.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 03:55:40 am »
Thanks for your answer Thomas, those are fair points.

Not all of us can read the organizer's mind. I have no idea how much thought he has given for his decisions until his reply. With that said I still think the subbed team should not be receiving/losing points. However, both ways are reasonable and it is indeed the organizer's call.

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 06:02:25 am »
Just a heads up, with the patch for some changes finally out I have updated the in-game leaderboard with all the teams (the top 10 will be shown for each week).

Offline -SkBo- Skylord Bobo

• [)FL(]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 10:03:32 pm »
Maybe if a team doesn't show, and doesn't find a sub team to replace themselves, they forfeit 3 games to their ally. That way there is punishment for skipping a week and not finding a sub, and it would take away the setback of not being able to win points in a week because your ally doped out.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:49:36 pm »