Author Topic: Suggestion: Increasing Playerbase  (Read 16162 times)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Increasing Playerbase
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:38:50 am »
It is a lot easier to get out of novicehood than it used to.

EXACTLY

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 05:45:03 am »

EXACTLY

And this is bad. Bad.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 05:48:21 am »

EXACTLY

And this is bad. Bad.

The longer it takes the faster the Novice plays opt out...

What does not help is the idiotic notion (as advertised by your beloved JonTron..) That being Novice is a bad thing...

That people seem to think the Novice tag is an insult to their intelligence (which if they're offended it is a lack of intelligence..) And skill.

"Herp derp, yoloswag bruh dem Prix in devs call mi novice, IMA show dem how MLG 360noscopepro I am!" - Every opt out novice who rage quit.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 05:50:25 am »
Being novice is not a bad thing; being either stupid or prick is...

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 05:55:22 am »
Being novice is not a bad thing; being either stupid or prick is...

If only someone would teach JonTron and all his fans who seem to be offended by that little tag in the corner that, that'd be great...

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:38 am »
Like you could ever teach anything an idiot; all you can do is punching until such expires... -.-

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 07:00:33 am »
The biggest issue, as discussed before, is that people seem to have a misconception about what the game is. While the Polaris stuff is pretty good on a base level anything else tends not to be. Our tournament videos also don't show the crew interactions, simply showing what the final result is (IE: Whether or not a ship is destroyed during an engagement). The interplay between ships can be explained but crew dynamics are in the dark, which is why introducing someone to the game through those videos doesn't give you the whole picture. In addition, most youtubers seem to be content to mess about and not show the game as we, the community, know and see the game.

Now the misconception that I've witnessed, is that people don't understand the depth of team work this game requires. A lot of people are content to let things happen as they happen, not vocally communicating on what needs to be done. An engineer might be fixing the engines but what really needs to be fixed is the balloon, a gunner might be firing on the wrong target, the captain isn't maneuvering to give their crew the advantage, positioning for the guns or moving out of harms way so the engineers can repair the ship. Captains may not be discussing how and when their going to engage, putting vessels out of position to assist each other. All these sorts of things that tie into being a cohesive team. From the videos I've watched they don't show any of that, and, whether or not they have an audience this is bad.

This doesn't even go into the players that don't actually play as their roles as they are intended to. Gunner pilot? Pilot on the main guns? Engineer with only Buff and extinguishers? I mean yeah sure some of our events have had some weird combinations but in those cases they were agreed upon formats, and I mean veteran players have done some really stupid things, I've flown backwards on a squid with mines an entire match, the munker is a staple of tomfoolery, WE HAD SQUID RACES AT ONE POINT! Messing about is only accepted if everyone is one board. In general play if one member of a crew is out of sync that means you have effectively 3 crew members, and one of them might not even be the pilot.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:03:31 am by Piemanlives »

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 04:41:22 pm »
What if we dropped the "Novice" tag and instead gave people a "Veteran" tag? That way new players wouldn't feel as noob-ish, and who knows, they might actually listen to someone labeled "Veteran". Same basic idea in the background (players without a Vet tag have all the distinctions of a current "Novice") but we use positive reinforcement instead of negative. You gain something by playing, instead of being stuck in a probation mode. There'd need to be some way to show that someone was a Vet, maybe a new color for names?

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »
The thing is that even now the "Novice" label isn't shown in game to anyone else but yourself. "Veteran" label will not have any effect, honest to God.

We know that somebody is a novice, because we can physically see that person level.
And Goddammit, if I see somebody with for example levels 1-30-1 and 200 matches because "hurr durr achievements pro mlg 720 achieve hunter", there's no way in hell I'm gonna call that person a bloody veteran.

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 06:26:35 pm »
*Rolls eyes*

Then come up with another word for it.

The biggest issue with new players is that alot of them don't end up actually learning the game. I'm sure this community has missed out on plenty of great players. Part of the issue is that, while WE know everyone's level, a newb might not understand that's a thing. They might just see that they're a "novice". Part of the solution could very well be making Novice/Non-novice (or Vet/not-Vet) visible. If it gives even one player a chance to get on the correct ship, the ship that will show them what Goio's about, I think we can all agree that will have been worth the effort (or for that matter calling someone a "vet")

Sidenote to Schwalbe: You should read Don Quixote. Buried in it is a rather interesting point about something you put in your post.

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »

Sidenote to Schwalbe: You should read Don Quixote. Buried in it is a rather interesting point about something you put in your post.

If it's buried, it will be difficult to find, and this Cervantes' book is no easy read.