Author Topic: Get rid of vet game. Get rid of novice.  (Read 10687 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Get rid of vet game. Get rid of novice.
« on: February 11, 2016, 06:38:58 am »
Neither serve any purpose.

Think of a better system muse.

Offline Lu Lu

• Salutes: 12
    • [zl0t]
    • View Profile
Re: Get rid of vet game. Get rid of novice.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:30:21 am »
I agree, though personally i feel both vet games and novice matches have the right idea of splitting levels of play.  However, with the current state of things,  I must say that they are almost pointless.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:52 am »

Think of a better system muse.

novice keeps away some of the novices, I like that
we don't have enough players to use the vet-game system regularly atm

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 03:20:53 am »
Good system hampered by too low a player count to see the positive effects. The majority of vet matches I have seen have been the least tactical and tryhard matches thus far, because it's just a group of players that know the game taking stupid shit and being social.

Novice takes too short a time to be locked out of, but would be a good system if there were more players. During sales, I think the novice system has a use, but with Muse locking ships to novice players, people choose to switch it off because fish, pyra and junker are hardly the most exciting looking things to fly. The problem isn't with the premise, it's with circumstance and execution.

Not much point in removing these things, though. They don't exist to the detriment of the game.

Offline Captain Scrobeard

• Salutes: 11
    • [ooc]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 07:11:53 am »

I disagree. At least partly.

When my friends and me started playing, we enjoyed fighting the novice games with one of the recommended (unlocked) ship-presets. It helped us getting a feeling for the mechanics without getting ripped apart by experienced players. Although we would have been happy to play on more than only two maps ... I have to mention that we started during a sale though.

Besides that I now still like the feature because it improves the quality of higher ranked matches (at least a bit) by filtering out all too inexperienced players. That's good for both, novices and advanced players. Teaming up and teaching other new players is more fun when they at least have played a couple of games and got familiar with the basic mechanics.

Relating to the vet games I have to say, that I rarely had the opportunity to play one unfortunately. But the few ones I played were quite fun (and also challenging). That might have been because of the huge number of friends playing there though.

In summary that means, the novice matches are a very useful yet slightly improvable (e.g. ships & presets, maps, levelcap) feature which I advocate 100%. I don't have an idea for a different system which gets around the limited player count problem. Regarding the vet games ... I'd really like to play some more before judging them.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:56:01 am »
Perhaps the level requirement for vet games is too high? Maybe it can be slacked and lowered to 25/20. The role of vet games should be to filter novices or players who are still learning the basics.

Offline Fynx

• Salutes: 30
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 08:48:45 am »
Lvl 25/20 players are still learning the basics.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 08:52:40 am »
Fynx: if someone is still learning the basics by 25, they're learning wrong.. Sure they may not be familiar with every ship but the thing to remember is, they're vet games, not.competitive tournaments..

Without the availability to more players the vet games will.stay a rarity..

Though I will say level 25, not 20...

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 11:37:35 am »
I still see level 25 pilots flying on the same plane as the enemy.

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 12:28:03 pm »
id say keep them, and id also say make them mandatory, not optional.

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 01:05:29 pm »
id say keep them, and id also say make them mandatory, not optional.

I don't think that that is going to work. We don't have enough players. Novice should be mandatory if available. And I do enjoy playing with certain non-vets. On the other hand I want to play in more vet games, maybe one should make them the default option. Swap the 2 buttons of the matchmaker maybe.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 01:24:34 pm »
The problem with vet matches is that they're opt-in and it can be intimidating for captains to press the Vet Matches button. Instead it should be opt-out where if you're in a crew form with all 30+ it automatically searches for vet matches, but with the option to opt-out

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 01:40:27 pm »
The problem with vet matches is that they're opt-in and it can be intimidating for captains to press the Vet Matches button. Instead it should be opt-out where if you're in a crew form with all 30+ it automatically searches for vet matches, but with the option to opt-out

that's basically what I said/ment sorry if this wasn't clear

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:09 am »
Just wanted to update everyone; I've received a reply for my suggestion to lower vet level to 25. Here's their rationale:
Hi Zanc,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this matter. As much as I and the rest of the team understand those points Ceresbane points out, we have taken steps to limit the availability of this type of game mode so as to always provide more players for the general match pool. There will always be only one vet lobby at any given time, be it custom match formed or match made and will be made available to all who join that. These lobbies will only ever be available if more than 50 players with a level 30+ class are online, otherwise it keeps the player pool consolidated.

Hopefully that clears up our reasoning for this logic for you, if you have any other questions about it don’t hesitate to ask!

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 04:49:39 am »
There will always be only one vet lobby at any given time, be it custom match formed or match made and will be made available to all who join that. These lobbies will only ever be available if more than 50 players with a level 30+ class are online, otherwise it keeps the player pool consolidated

Ugh. This explains a lot. And why I avoid them.