Author Topic: PRINT Guide to Guns of Icarus Online  (Read 19388 times)

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: PRINT Guide to Guns of Icarus Online
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 01:39:07 pm »
well I'm ready to throw money at you as soon as you tell me to

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 02:09:32 pm »
Truth be told I sort of eyeballed everything based on when I manned the weapon myself; I didn't actually count the degrees of traverse or the rate of fire or reload time. It would be a pain to do and difficult without more experienced peer reviews on the matter but I would be willing to alter that.

The other thing is that the scope of the guide itself, and the number of pages that appear per weapon. Before I started I made it a point to set aside a two-page spread for the guns: one for the gun itself, and the other for the ammunition types that best work for it. Including too much information is not a problem when you're working online with infinite space, but far moreso when you're working on paper.

That being said I'll add it to a list of changes I intend to apply for a version that does go to sell; it all depends now on the demand for it.

I provided links to resources in your original post: ship stats, gun stats, gun damage

One page is plenty to include all necessary info. There's plenty of padding on the gat page. The first paragraph for example just says it's good at breaking armor and has "mediocre" range

There's demand for it because you spent the effort making it look great. The buyers don't care if it's accurate. It's up to you if you want it to be

Offline Arrow Windwhistler

• Salutes: 3
    • [CPNX]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 03:06:13 pm »
Accuracy is important to me, so it's gonna be as accurate as it can be before I'm forced to put a content lock on it and send it to the printer.

I honestly didn't think to mention projectile/raycast weapons for two reasons: firstly, based on the wiki, there are only two raycast weapons to begin with. Secondly, the wiki doesn't even define what a raycast weapon is. I'm figuring it's different than a hitscan weapon, but I can't find any definitions on it.

I'm also not entirely sure how to best phrase things like arcs and whatnot; while it makes sense to have particulars (65 deg. left/right) most people aren't going to use protractors and actually see for themselves. The difference between, for example, 65 degrees and 60 degrees is to me anyway so negligible that it's more informative to simply use vaguer words like good/average/poor.

That's what I was thinking, anyway. Are you saying that the exact number of degrees, the exact damage types, etc. is important to you? Does it matter if I use the wiki terminology when it doesn't appear anywhere else, last I checked?

Again, not being argumentative, genuinely curious

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 04:02:31 pm »
The raycast guns are gat, banshee, flame, artemis, carronades, hwatcha, minotaur, and flare. Raycast shoots in a straight line and accuracy is determined by the jitter. Jitter is the dispersion of shots

Good/average/poor can be used to describe arcs, and I might add a few categories like below/above average and best/worst (or equivalents). 50 degrees is average and 60 is good. 5 degrees makes a difference and can be enough for its own category. For example the carro has 55 degrees which makes a difference on ships with tight arcs (perhaps above average). If you wanna keep it simple with only three categories then that's ok, but the gat should be listed as average horizontal arcs. The gat down arc of 50 deserves the highest category (same has hades), but the flare has by far the best arcs so maybe it shouldn't be compared to the rest

Keeping it simple is the purpose so it's not necessary to list exact stats. Easily comparable terminology is perfect. I do think that exact damage types should be listed but as long as it's clear what the purpose of the gun is then it's not necessary. Use whatever language you think is best to explain the info, but make sure the info is accurate
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:10:40 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 12:22:58 pm »
Sign me up for purchase :D

• [CPNX]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 03:01:50 pm »
Okay I have a changelog I intend to implement and two people on the line to buy this thing.

Just a quick update, I've sent out a copy of my current version to my graphic designer, and we're going to have a go at GOIO again in a few days in order to bring information to update.

Offline Letheliah

• Salutes: 7
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 09:25:38 pm »
This is amazing! I wonder if the devs will have one for their events like conventions and stuff? It'd be nice to read while waiting for a seat to play, and especially helpful to novices and intermediate players want to learn more in depth information.

• [CPNX]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 11:08:47 pm »
I've offered one to them, but they haven't said anything about wanting a copy, nor have they given me a shipping address or anything for it. They certainly deserve a copy for free, I think.

And since you put it that way, I would be able to get my name out there in conventions. Even if I did give it to them for free, asking them to bring it to conventions and help get my name out there would be more than a fair deal in my opinion. (P.S: I'm looking for a job doing this professionally)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:10:41 pm by Arrow Windwhistler »