Author Topic: Fully Customizable Ship Components  (Read 10601 times)

Offline Lu Lu

• Salutes: 12
    • [zl0t]
    • View Profile
Fully Customizable Ship Components
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:51:18 pm »
I have always loved this game for the ability to customize ship load-outs, but it always struck me as odd, that other than guns, the ships were exactly the same component-wise.  I would like to propose a method to address this.  In ship customization, we add 4 more slots.  A slot for turning engines, main engine, balloon, and hull armour. 

For turning engines a customizable option may be allowing a +/- 25% change in angular acceleration, at the expense/benefit of a +/-25% change maximum angular velocity.   

For main engines a customizable option may be allowing a +/- 25% change in linear acceleration, at the expense/benefit of a +/-25% change maximum linear velocity.   

For balloons a customizable option may be allowing a +/- 25% change in vertical acceleration, at the expense/benefit of a +/-25% change maximum vertical velocity.   

For  hulls a customizable option may be allowing a +/- 25% change in hull armour, at the expense/benefit of a +/-25% change maximum hull health.

The current values would be considered the default values for each component.  Therefore, each component would have 3 settings.

I think this would allow captains to fly more towards their own tuning of their ships.  After all, this is post apocalypse, gone are the ways of standardization, and in are the days of innovation.  Just my thoughts at least, i  would love to hear feedback!

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Fully Customizable Ship Components
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »
I appreciate the craving for more variety, but this will only add even more balancing problems; it's better as we have it now, it's fairly logical and believeable (except for pyramidion for obvious reasons).

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:37:08 pm »
Sorry, but I can't help but automatically think "ew, no". The ships are very predictable. You know the limits of each one, and so does your enemies. Adding a new variable like that, where every ship is different would be such a mess. It would also feel super complicated for new players, and it's something that would totally be in a pay to win game. Do not like.

That said, I'm as starving for content as the next guy, so I understand where this sort of idea comes from

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:10:19 pm »
There would be easy meta choices which would unbalance ships. For junker you're always gonna buff armor at the cost of hull, and mobula you'll buff turn acceleration at the cost of speed. For balloons you'll always buff acceleration because all ships have the same vertical speed
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:32:35 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:31:44 am »
We've been through this. This is a no-no.

Now we wait for a boarding thread

Also: Since Muse has literally no availible resources what-so-ever you have to give a very distinct reason why you think something should be good addition to the game. The "more variety lol" is not good enough apparently, because we beg for new maps since... always?... and so far we only get re-sized versions of the same maps. And maps can't fuck up the balance of the whole game within minutes.

Offline Lu Lu

• Salutes: 12
    • [zl0t]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 08:50:59 am »
I'm sorry guys, perhaps this wasn't as good of an idea as I originally thought, sorry everyone.  I just that it would've been neat, but yeah, you guys are right, this would create more problems than it would be worth.  Sorry for wasting your time guys.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 08:56:42 am »
Nah, don't worry. At least you didn't asked - milionth time - 'hey what if we introduced boarding? AAAAWEEESOOOOME'. Because that became boring long before I came to this game, not to mention forum.

And we never accused you of taking part in holocaust, being either left or right bollock of Adolf, nor of being a prankster, so you don't have to say sorry that much. :p

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:12:36 am »
We are just assholes, don't mind us. We've just seen better, more needed and easier to implement ideas ignored, so we react in such way. I mean, literally, when I'm giving an idea on this forum it usually can be implemented by changing one-two variables in the code. You can't get much easier than that.

Also, devs don't always read the forum so you can contact them directly via feedback@musegames.com, they'll sure be happy to hear from you.

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:54:18 am »
Alliance mode can possibly profit from this idea.

Offline Keyvias

• Salutes: 83
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 12:16:55 pm »
Yeah, Disaster has it a little right. Our resources are pretty thin with work in Alliance mode which makes large ideas for skirmish slow to move on (at the moment) especially if it doesn't solve a major problem in the game.
I also agree with need more and new maps in skirmish mode. This is something the entire team wants and our next big step is all the new maps for Alliance mode (which we have more than a handful) that have new elements (such as destructible walls, lightning storms, and other new elements we're working on) into skirmish mode maps.
It is definitely design cheating to take a 4v4 or 3v3 and just trim it to a 2v2, but it's very light work and its at least another location to play on. We want to do more and the alliance work is starting to get to a point (looking good) where we can start looking at pulling them into Skirmish battles. So keep an eye out because we're looking at a massive bump in playable PvP maps.

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 12:47:05 pm »
@dementio, you'll see skills follow this idea.  ship parts we're holding constant so far, but it is definitely possible to make them upgradable as well. 

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 05:31:45 pm »
I'm liking this new trend of devs back on to forums.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 06:03:25 pm »
Yeah, Disaster has it a little right.

Holy shit, senpai has noticed me and actually told I may be right! I must screenshot it because nobody will believe me :D Finally I'm not literally the left testicle of Hitler*

*joke stolen from Schwalbe

I'm liking this new trend of devs back on to forums.
We all are :) And we're glad to hear that new maps are actually considered/in works/in serious plans. New features for maps also sound pretty cool.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:20:02 pm »
I like the idea of destructible environments. Would be kinda funny to collapse a building or cliff on top of somebody.

Are you taking ideas from Battlefield Bad Company 2?

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 12:11:27 am »
Yeah, Disaster has it a little right.

Holy shit, senpai has noticed me and actually told I may be right! I must screenshot it because nobody will believe me :D Finally I'm not literally the left testicle of Hitler*

*joke stolen from Schwalbe

I already told that you are not, because you are the right one. (Pun intended)

*also, this joke is stolen from TearofGrace, so yeah, we truly behave like stereotypical Poles - stealing all that is not bolted to the ground.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:21:03 am by Schwalbe »