Author Topic: The First Ship You Flew In When You Came Out Of Novicehood  (Read 30227 times)

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
The First Ship You Flew In When You Came Out Of Novicehood
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:04:05 am »
I still remember it, after one of my last novice matches where me and some friends ended up against a full-Russian galLion, I took that exact same design (4lionguns and 2 gats) and started wrecking shit for some time.
I really fell in love with the galleon then.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: The First Ship You Flew In When You Came Out Of Novicehood
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:28:07 am »
I played a lot of flame gat pyra. Gunner on the flame and greased gat. It's a ramming build and in those days extinguisher was useless and flamethrower OP

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:31:56 am »
Everytime I see a low level player flying galleon I want have that superpower of punching people in the face through internet connection.

My first ships I flew after leaving novicehood were either pre-nerf blenderfish, pre-nerf pyramidion or gloriously glorious mobula (mobula OP). I wrecked some shit with junker back in novicehood, until suddenly one day a patch came, and my levels 3-3-3 in old, pre-matchfaker system suddenly turned into 7-10-8. throwing me away from novicehood instantly.

Edit: But it was long, looong time after leaving novicehood, because I though I don't actually know shit about the game, and I wanted to get better at both engie and gunner first.

I hate galleons. They are truly embodiment of 'MURRICAN spirit: big guns, enormous fat piece of shit. The inertia of this ship is just fucking unbearable, to stop in place in order to fire weapons steadily one must go full backward and moonshine for a second, and then reduce it to stop. It's bloody annoying, especially that I'm used to mix bravado charges with careful positioning, and just the inertia of this ludicrous fuckload of shit makes it almost impossible to pull it off, or retreat behind cover, because when you try to cover behind building in Paritan galleon's ass emerge against your will from the other side of the building. #trueStory

I played a lot of flame gat pyra. Gunner on the flame and greased gat. It's a ramming build and in those days extinguisher was useless and flamethrower OP

Good times. I remember going full flamer pyra against low level unwielding chemspray players. Looking on match chat was fun with all the whining.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:35:55 am by Schwalbe »

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:44:17 am »
When I piloted after novice I liked to fly a pre-nerf Pyramidion with a Hades and light flak up front. Decent mid to long range build. Then I started flying a Squid.......

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:24:40 pm »
Everytime I see a low level player flying galleon I want have that superpower of punching people in the face through internet connection.

I hate galleons. They are truly embodiment of 'MURRICAN spirit: big guns, enormous fat piece of shit. The inertia of this ship is just fucking unbearable, to stop in place in order to fire weapons steadily one must go full backward and moonshine for a second, and then reduce it to stop. It's bloody annoying, especially that I'm used to mix bravado charges with careful positioning, and just the inertia of this ludicrous fuckload of shit makes it almost impossible to pull it off, or retreat behind cover, because when you try to cover behind building in Paritan galleon's ass emerge against your will from the other side of the building. #trueStory

You truly need to want to know  and like the ideal a ship expresses, to drive it well, slow and bulky is something for some people, while glass cannons are for others, while racing airships are for other more.
Just, if you want maneuverability, don't take the galleon. Schwalbe, from what I read of you in the forum, you like mines, maneuverability and speed, the galleon is just the opposite of you,

As much as I hate mankind, I rely VERY much on my ally to fly the galleon, I give him cover, he protects my blindspots, I disable, he kills. Moreover, when both my bottom-deck engineer and my gunner have a good aim, hearing both hwachas firing at the same time, with also the left side gatling, is just truly a beautiful sound.
I also never balance the continuous movement of the galleon, I just roll with it and keep slowly moving, and never stop.

And I have your same reaction when I see new player driving the Goldfish, imo, the newbies capable of driving well a Goldfish are a rare breed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:26:12 pm by Crow of Cainhurst »

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:19:06 pm »
Honestly, my favorite style of playing is either sniper mobula, gat-artemis pyra, sniper spire or hwachafish. When I need to vent myself I bring more funny builds, like full-banshee/full-flamer mobula, double gat pyra or munker.

Well, we have quite the contrary feeling about ships indeed, but I can say, that my hatred towards scrub galleons is backed with huge and unpleasant experiences.

Also from what I see around forums, I can tell I like your attitude. I can teach you something when I'll pop in game, y'know. ^^ Though I'm not omniscient about this game, so some of my teachings might prove wrong. :P

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:10:16 pm »
Junker, flamers on lower deck and harpoons on upper deck. Mercury on the front for chasing enemies and sniping engines.

2012 was a good time

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 07:27:38 pm »
Carrofish. I still fly it.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 07:35:18 pm »
While Novicehood wasn't a thing when I first joined, I think the first ship I ever flew after my first couple of matches was a pyramidion, don't remember the loadout exactly, but I think it was double flak front pre-arming time.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 03:25:04 pm »
Like Piemanlives, Novice matches were not a thing when I joined. The first game I ever played was as an engineer on a spire. They had me camp the hull back when it was down by the bottom engines. I didn't get a good look at the ship. The first game I played with a competent captain was on a flame squid. The first game I a played as a captain was on a gat flack metamidion (back when that was meta).

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 05:18:04 pm »
When came out of novice I actually had my pilot level highest and engi lowest. I still love piloting my Junker today - I was using front banshee, left hades & artemis and right double gat - It was actually very nice non-meta build and I played it very aggressively. You probably won't see anyone else doing Junker like I do.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 05:46:58 pm »
I remember my brawl junker - left side flamer + carro, right side banshee + gat. I had quite a blast with that back in the day.

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:10:31 pm »
During Novice, I was all about that metamidion. I came from the youtuber promotion, so naturally the only ship that seemed to get reliable kills was the one I went for. Once I left novice, I tried a brawly galleon set up and immediately realised how more guns does not equal a better ship.

Then we discovered dual gat-mortar-hwacha spire and fell in love.

It's funny, these days spire is my absolutely least flown ship. My most is probably a double gat mortar ambush mob, because I haven't sold my soul to hades double art yet (quite possibly my least favourite thing in the meta and present).

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 07:37:11 pm »
I was an engineer on a pyra. The pilot rage quit on first death and Silverst who at the time was the highest level player I had met told me to take the helm, we won and he played on my ship for hundreds of matches after...