Author Topic: The First Ship You Flew In When You Came Out Of Novicehood  (Read 30202 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: The First Ship You Flew In When You Came Out Of Novicehood
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 06:36:07 am »
Meta Pyra because I was smart and knew it was the right counter for that given match of the time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:37:48 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 08:41:59 am »
First game I played I piloted a Mobula with the default load-out on raid on refinery, got 2 kills died once and won. There was no such thing as novice matches back then. =)

Offline Erom Gary

• Salutes: 4
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 04:03:13 am »
After novice when I lost Its title, for me the metajunker was the masterrace of GoIO (well, not really). It was basic.
Gatlings on bottom side guns, mortars on top.
I started off by having a merc on front gun, since I had an odd playstyle of snaring a ship from a remote distance to later on bring the wrath of starboard/port side. Which in this case worked surprisingly effective, until I realized it was a stiff build because it had a lack of arcs. But still I remember. I had a ton of fun with that build.

I left the junker in the junkyard and moved on with a flakspire that I used when I was maybe at lvl 15-20 as a pilot. Damm, it was a beast. Merc and gatling on top deck, and flak with artemis on bottom deck. I assigned one engineer on bottom on artemis, one on mercury. disable and crush the armor of a ship in a distance and wipe it off the board using a flak. Close range engagements: Top engineer would ignore merc and move to gat on right side. It was effective until I reached the level where players found out the strategy to counter it.

What I fly now: Pretty much squid and spire. Maybe occasionally junker and/or galleon.

Sadly I've never been hooked on mobula. When I've first flown it after novicehood I found that ship pretty stiff to fly with and couldn't find any fun strategies and builds to squeeze from it.

I came from the youtuber promotion

Even if I find all of them annoying now, I can't fully blame them since they were the ones enticing me to play this game in the first place.

Offline GrimlockWarlock

• Salutes: 2
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 12:52:14 pm »

Even if I find all of them annoying now, I can't fully blame them since they were the ones enticing me to play this game in the first place.

Agreed Thank you Yogscast!!! My first ship That I flown out of novicehood ,was the spire. Didn't end too well haha :D

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 04:23:28 pm »

Agreed Thank you Yogscast!!! My first ship That I flown out of novicehood ,was the spire. Didn't end too well haha :D

Every sale brings in toxic milk, with just a little cream on top that stays around. I came from last year's May-ish time promotion, and am rapidly approaching 1k hours, with 1.8 matches under my belt. Obviously not much to a lot of vets, but still. Maybe the fact that the reason I got this game is a source of extreme prejudice from an unnamed few within the community, is why I make it almost a duty to be twice as patient with struggling newbies as some others.

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 04:44:48 pm »
I came from a youtube promotion in Summer 2014.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 05:43:43 pm »
No novice when I started. No Hades. Spire and Mobula were brand new.

I joined with a few friends. I was pilot. My first ship was the Forty Five Special, a Pyra with Merc right, Art left, and a Flak Banshee side. We did quite well, easily crushing all the medamidians around. I still fly that exact build once in a while. My friends left over the next week, liking games more like ARMA and such. Going solo, I created Jeeves, a Galleon with double Hwacha/gat left, double Carro right, and Art rear (to be changed shortly to another Gat). I flew mainly Jeeves for the next few months, learning exactly how to throw his weight around and do crazy shit nobody expected out of a Galleon.

Offline Jamini

• Salutes: 2
    • [NEV]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:52 pm »
The first ship I ever flew on, as a raw novice, was a goldfish. Standard-issue Hwachafish.
The ship I learned on was a metamideon with a friend pilot I met in-game. He was a solid pilot, and we won way more fights than we lost.
The first ship I piloted properly was a blenderfish, complete with ramming all day, every day. (Mostly on purpose)
The ship I really learned to love to fly is my mobula.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 02:27:55 pm »
Psst. Since when do you RAM with a blenderfish?

Offline Skybox-

• Salutes: 6
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 10:28:31 pm »
After I got out of novice I went through several stages of Galleon-ing with friends. We worked well as a team and soon enough we were unbalancing matches.

First I flew your basic Hcarro Hwacha Gat brawling galleon.

Then I put 2 lumberjacks and a hades on the left side. Balloons cried and died.

And now I take metagalleon.

I threw in many different mobulas into the mix too, but my favorite mob was the fast-action dual gat mortar mob.

Still, my favorite ship was and will always be the Galleon.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 09:41:14 pm »
My first ship I flew was back during release where we had no novice games. It was the pre-nerfed Flakfish with flamethrowers on the side. Thing was deadly back then where one stack of fire disabled guns and the flak can strip armor and still kill.

Offline Red-Xiii

• Salutes: 32
    • [-§ɱ-]
    • View Profile
    • Steel Meridian
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 09:19:07 am »
My first love was Mobula.  Good old Merc, art, banshees.  It ended up being easy to start flying, difficult to master dodging effectively.  But really what it did was give me the confidence I needed to try flying other ships.  For that, the mobula will always be my favorite ship. 

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 04:59:58 pm »
Technically, the first ship I flew on was a Junker to learn the different ammo types on in practice mode all by my lonely self...I learned what Lesmok  and Heavy did (and back then, heavy was a good clip...oh and 1 stack fires bumped you off your gun, so heatsink was a need for gunners.)

My first crewed ship I ever played on was a Hwatcha Spire (and this is before you could get 4 guns pointed at anyone.)
I was a gunner...I don't know who the person piloting was but they said something like "woah....you're pretty good, 'cause I was able to hit from a distance 'cause I used heavy clip (it worked for spread on gatling gun, so why not hwatcha?)

The first pilot I remember was NateDawg and his Squid.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 06:42:40 am »
First ship I ever decided to use was a Pyra.

It had a Mine launcher on 1 and a Flamer on 2.

I decided to name it Nautilus Mk 1 - (Nautilus was the name of my Pyra before I renamed it recently to Hippie Van)

The ship was mainly useless... Well, to the crew that is. Pyra's used to kill ships virtually instantly when rammed.
We rarely hit another ship with the mines... We normally hit ourselves...  8)

On a different note, the flamers used to be poorly optimized so the crew of the enemies used to be frozen when rammed into...

Good times  :'(

Offline Skymonger

• Salutes: 22
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 11:47:41 am »
The first ship I ever flew was the brawl spire.

Despite coming out of novice, I didn't fly a ship until I was a level 25 engineer and a level 12 gunner.
Since then, I "picked" up some things from flying with good captains, ship builds, flight tricks, friendly banter.

Now I fly a variety of things. Though I will never fly a mobula or junker.