Linked Events

• BTB!! Wk 1: January 31, 2016
  • BTB!! 2.1: February 07, 2016
  • BTB!! 2.2: February 14, 2016
  • BTB!! 2.3: February 21, 2016
  • BTB!! 2.4: February 28, 2016

Author Topic: Back To Basics!! A new weekly event!  (Read 10027 times)

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Back To Basics!! A new weekly event!
« on: January 18, 2016, 04:45:34 pm »
Hello Hello!
I wanted to let everyone here know about a new event starting up soon. Back To Basics!! A quick and clean practice event. We'll be starting on January 31st, and we'll be doing it again every Sunday starting at 2pm EST.

The plan is to have every team play two matches a day. Two best of one match ups if you'd like to think of it that way. One thing we WON'T be doing however, is a tournament bracket. That's right, no ladder to climb, no prizes to win, no championship matches.Just good practice. Matches will be streamed, but this is to allow teams to review their performance. Our goal is to make this as casual and simple as possible, so that teams have a safe place to practice.

On that note: If anyone wants to use this as a warmup for SCS, just let us know and we'll do our best to get your matches done quickly so you're not negatively impacted by the time.

While we're organized around 2v2 deathmatches, teams are encouraged to sign up both as single ships and as double ships! We'll do our best to make sure everyone can participate. The current ruleset can be found HERE!
Bunches of thanks to KitKat for doin' all the hard work so far ;) and thanks BoCA for making this possible!

Signups start next Tuesday, January 26th. The plan is to have a supernacular 31st so I hope to see everyone then!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:42:54 pm by Agent Sylka »

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Back To Basics!! A new weekly event!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:53:08 pm »
I really like this idea. Hopefully it will bring more people into the competitive community. My only issue is that it is the same day as SCS. I know Saturday is busy with Cronus, so there isn't any real options. Perhaps move it to Saturday once Cronus is complete, this way there is more options for people who simply cannot participate on Sunday because life.

I like this idea because, despite the lack of brackets and finals etc. . ., it is still organized in nature. This is a great for organizers to get into the mindset that is necessary to establish any kind of long term, stable, and reliable team for a competition. Newcomers will learn the basics to organizing events.

I myself see this as a opportunity to try casting an event. Hopefully there is a spot. Likewise, others might see it as an opportunity to ref. This is a great idea.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:13:28 pm »
Thank you Skirmisherbucket for such positive feedback. Definitely send in an e-mail with what weekends work best if you want to try out casting. The time will probably be moved up an hour earlier (1pm EST) the second week to allow for teams to have down time before the SCS. As far as moving it moving to Saturdays once Cronus finishes will probably just depend on how the community feels and if another competitive event is happening on Saturday. Seeing as this is a practice event we want to stay flexible for the communities input.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 03:43:40 am »
Casting practice?

Sounds interesting :)

I would like to give it a try

Not really interested in casting long events such as SCS but had alot of fun casting the smaller Mini Game Madness.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 08:48:41 am »
I really like this idea. I should be available to cast/stream if you need it (although I'd still recommend the better casters/streamers first).

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 09:29:14 am »
Psh no way. The better ones can have scs. Let new guys (me) try so there is a larger pool of competent, seasoned, and confident casters in the future.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:23:23 am »
Thomas don't be ridiculous you make for a fine caster. Depending on availability of the more experienced casters maybe we can get some co-casting going on with 1 experienced caster and 1 newer caster. Our community needs more casters that are exciting to listen to and knowledgeable about what is happening in matches. Hopefully this allows for knowledge to be passed on to the newer casters so organizers don't have to struggle as much to find 1-2 casters that are available every "x" day for "y" weeks for their events.

We appreciate all the positive feedback and offers for casting. Next week hopefully we see just as much excitement from teams signing up so you guys have some great matches to cast!

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:59:00 am »
As KitKat says if we are looking to have a practice event it might well be worth giving the casting duties to folks looking to break into it. The big events usually recruit specific experienced casters that suit their tournament style well, and for regular things like the SCS having a regular caster makes life a lot easier on the organizer, letting casters get distracted with pesky things like other games (or worse real life!) one Sunday can leave them struggling to recruit a replacement.

I'd certainly listen to Mann for an hour on Sunday. Heck if he wants a co-caster I'm probably available.

Offline Chase.

• Salutes: 2
    • [RAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 09:48:17 am »
So how does the 'signup' work? Me and the rest of a 4-person crew would certainly drop by. We go by [RAYS] / Raytracers.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 02:45:07 pm »
So how does the 'signup' work? Me and the rest of a 4-person crew would certainly drop by. We go by [RAYS] / Raytracers.

Sign-ups will actually be posted a little later this evening on the community event forum.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 06:45:47 pm »
Chase here is the sign up link