Author Topic: Idea: Defence  (Read 5167 times)

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Idea: Defence
« on: January 20, 2016, 03:40:21 am »
I had an idea,

I have seen a lot of really cool and interesting competitive and community events lately and I thought of a new idea.

If this idea has been thought of before, feel free to report this thread to a moderator and they can remove it.

Anyways, the idea:

A 2v2 or 4v4 layout. (have not seen many 4v4 events so this could be an interesting one)

4v4 layout:
  • There will be 2 teams of two ships.
  • Each team will consist of a mercenary and a trader.
  • Each team will have to defend their trader form the enemy mercenary.
  • Teams will gain points per trader kill.
  • Mercenary's will not gain points for killing other mercenary's.
Lets say for example, a mercenary kills 6 traders and defend their trader. They will gain 60 points but gain no points for killing mercenary's.
Now, lets say for example a trader gets 4 mercenary kills, they will gain 40 points.

• Overall, Mercenary's will gain points for killing traders and Traders will gain points for killing mercenary's.
  • The overall point is for the mercenary's to defend their trader from other mercenary's.
  • a 50 point bonus will be given to Mercenary's who successfully prevent their trader from dying. A further 50 points will be given to traders for surviving without a death.
  • Obviously there is a kill limit so teams will be advised not to team up with other teams in game. Your kills, your score.

2v2 layout:
  • There will be 1 team of two ships.
  • Each team will consist of a mercenary and a trader.
  • Each team will have to defend their trader form the enemy mercenary.
  • Teams will gain points per trader kill.
  • Mercenary's will not gain points for killing other mercenary's.
Lets say for example, a mercenary kills 3 traders and defend their trader. They will gain 30 points but gain no points for killing mercenary's.
Now, lets say for example a trader gets 2 mercenary kills, they will gain 20 points.

• Overall, Mercenary's will gain points for killing traders and Traders will gain points for killing mercenary's.
  • The overall point is for the mercenary's to defend their trader from other mercenary's.
  • a 50 point bonus will be given to Mercenary's who successfully prevent their trader from dying. A further 50 points will be given to traders for surviving without a death.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:45:00 am by The Mann »

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Defence
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 03:42:06 am »
If anyone wishes to make an event out of this idea, go ahead.

I do not wish to deal with the stresses of event organisation, planning and so on.

Anyone is welcome to use it.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:29:07 am »
Nice idea Mann, similar to the Aerodrome (I think it was the Aerodrome?) in some ways although sans cargo mechanic. One problem I can see with your reasoning although not with the format is:
"Obviously there is a kill limit so teams will be advised not to team up with other teams in game. Your kills, your score."
Basic game theory, GoI massively rewards teamwork, especially in 4v4, unless you know your enemies are going to split up you are well advised to form a spontaneous 4 ship team since getting half the kills in a 12-10 is going to get you way more point than in a 12-3 game. Since forming a 4 ship team always increases your likely kill rate it is a stable equilibrium, you wont get teams splitting. Only exception is if one team was so good they thought they could carry on their own, then they should try to get all 12 kills.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:02:23 pm »
The two similar tournaments I can think of would be Aerodrome and SAC VIP. Aero I think would be the closest to what you are describing, especially taking lore into account. Gilder Unfettered is the player that runs Aerofrome if you decide to go forward with this idea, he may have some insight for you.

Once Alliance comes to main game this would be easy to do using the Defense and Retrieve modes. (But all participates would have to have the alliance DLC). Or maybe see if there are enough player interested (that have dev app and alliance) and see if they'd like to do a tournament style event in dev app. Unfortunately, seeing as it's dev app and not finished you'd have to accommodate for those issues but maybe fun none the less.