Author Topic: I am begging, please add minimum level requirements to pilot...  (Read 137758 times)

Offline FranckM

• Salutes: 2
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
Re: I am begging, please add minimum level requirements to pilot...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 01:16:27 pm »
I agree with a kicking option but only if it requires 85-90% approval and anonymous on what everyone voted of course.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:22 pm »
To clarify there shouldn't be a level requirement in novice matches or for the pilot class specifically. If there were a requirement it would be for joining the captain slot in non-novice matches. The maximum reasonable requirement would be to graduate from novice (level 7 in any class). Requiring level 25 or over 100 matches is excessive. I'd say even just level 3 in any class would be enough to join the captain slot in non-novice matches.

New players should be able to pilot but brand new players shouldn't captain in a regular match. Better tutorials and fixing novice mode would help but those need work from Muse. My goal is to prevent brand new players with under 10 matches from captaining in a regular match.

The vast majority of new players listen to advice and it's only a small but memorable minority that cause problems. Too high a requirement might turn off new players and I doubt it would fix anything. There are two other problems with captain requirements: difficulties during low population, and Muse will be against any type of restriction.

Regarding kicking Muse has stated they are against it in any form. Calling in a moderator isn't an option because there's no system for it. You need to know that a moderator is online and call them in. Even then the moderator won't do anything unless the player is blatantly trolling and they observe it in a match. You used to be able to spam recommended loadouts to get trolls to leave but that ability was removed. I have had many discussions with Muse and their opinion is that everyone should be able to play how they want regardless of how disruptive it is. The conversations I had with Matthew and Howard about trolling being acceptable blew my mind.

On a side note joining the captain slot should automatically switch you to pilot class with the ability to switch to engi if you choose. Just like recommended loadouts should be automatic with the ability to change.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:12:29 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 04:57:15 pm »
One of the problems with blocking content like dangerous pilot tools is that the game was designed around having all tools available on day one. Games designed around unlocking tools usually make higher level tools slightly more powerful or modify game play in a way that only an experienced player can understand. I think if anything should be blocked it is as the OP stated: Block the pilot class for non novice matches until players have had a chance to see what a pilot really does.

The shock factor for new pilots is intense. My first time resulted in sweating and increased heart rate. We lost 5-0 with an average engagement time* of under 8 seconds. Going from "Yarr I'm a pirate swab the deck me hearties" to the chaos of 3 people yelling at you while taking hits is a lot for some people.

*time first hit to dead

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 06:30:31 pm »
No to the level 8 gunner. That would cause the over eager to pilot players to either quit each time there is more than one gunner on a crew or to not accept a loadout.

Otherwise, not a bad idea. I would make it a match completed requirement, though.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:29 pm »
Going from "Yarr I'm a pirate swab the deck me hearties" to the chaos of 3 people yelling at you while taking hits is a lot for some people.

That is, unless you have voice chat disabled, and not enough brain power to read the text chat in left lower corner and play the same time.

Have in mind - this states person suffering from Attention Defficit Disorder, so actually the person who shouldn't be, in theory, to be able to do so himself. And yet - I do.
So I guess there's no justification, because people that retarded won't be able to use computer properly anyway, not to mention playing any computer games. Hence, I call purposeful trolling.

Muse will never give us tools to get rid of bad players. They think we should teach them. And we do, so it's quite insulting for us, players, that we have no fucking way to get rid of obvious trolls, who put our nerves on balance. Great. Just fucking great. And maybe they are surprised there's an outflow of players?

Recently I played a match with newbies, I was fortunate to actually get some guys willing to listen and learn and it was a pleasure. Until that lvl 20 engie arrived on our goldfish. He used a moment when I was tapping my hwacha with wrench, and he got on my hwacha. He stayed there. Entire. Fucking. Match. Not exchaning a fucking word by any means.
I wasn't the one to yell for kickvote there - only newbies, who felt fucked because of a trolling shithead. I added those to friends, guess what - they are offline since then.

GG.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 07:31:53 pm »
Yeah guys don't fly goldfish or you're bound to end up with crew problems. There was a whole thread dedicated to crew trying to take over the front gun. The solution is simple: don't fly goldfish with crew you don't know. Goldfish is the least interesting ship to engi on and it's rude to make them do it. If you bring goldfish expect crew to be bored and want to shoot the front. Don't be rude and selfish, or don't complain when your goldfish crew trolls because it's your own damn fault

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 07:41:54 pm »
I was gunner aboard that ship. It wasn't mine. I was only advicing and explaining, what's what. I wasn't rude, I wasn't selfish. Pilot wanted an easy to handle ship that isn't as sluggish as nerfmidion, what was I to advice for quite a new pilot? Change your tone Pies, I deserved none of your shit. Also, you just went full AWKM. Also, contrary to you I usually TRY to teach, and as far as I remember you were bailing out immediately everytime you got a low level player aboard.

I KNOW that you just DON'T get fish with people you don't know.
I get it.
I get the concept.

Mr.Disaster, I told you - that if I were to speak anywhere, I'd be treated like an equal to Hitler's left testicle or Antichrist.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:46:31 pm by Schwalbe »

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 07:49:40 pm »
I'm sorry but I don't wanna hear people complaining about trolling on goldfish. That's what happens

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:18 pm »
Off topic to the original post, but on the subject of Goldfish as a teaching ship, I think it's great. I've never had problems with it. Tell one engy to repair the right/bottom of the ship (turning engines, hull, right gun, front gun) and tell another engy to repair the left/top of the ship (main engine, balloon, left gun, front gun, hull when absolutely necessary). Just put interesting guns on each side and actually use them. Give the gunner a spanner. Have the gunner help the hull when red, have the engies help the front gun when red. I usually put a gatling on the right side near the hull and a flamer or carronade or banshee on the left side. Have the gunner fire the front gun, then phoenix claw to the left to use the right gun, back to the front gun, phoenix claw to the right to use the left gun... everybody gets some action :)

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 08:04:55 pm »
Also, contrary to you I usually TRY to teach, and as far as I remember you were bailing out immediately everytime you got a low level player aboard.

I don't know why you believe these two things and particularly that I bail with low level players. The only time I bail is if in the previous match a player didn't listen, or if in the lobby a player doesn't accept the recommended loadout (or offer an explanation). Level has nothing to do with attitude. Anyone who has played with me knows this so if you have an example I'd like to hear it but otherwise I don't want others to get there impression I don't like new players.

I get mad when people talk about trolling on goldfish so I don't wanna hear it, and I don't want people to believe the above quote unless you have any reason to validate it.

Offline Coiler

• Salutes: 10
    • [B&C]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 08:40:16 pm »

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 08:59:21 pm »
Votekick in any form isn't gonna happen. I urge everyone to find other solutions

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 03:24:15 am »
Okay so let me get some clarification here.

As far as I can tell MM no longer defaults to looking for novice matches rendering the whole concept pointless.

Vet game isn't by default searched on veterans rendering that pointless besides grinding for a dumb achievement.

If muse is gonna introduce modes like novice and vet game, then you better set it up so that they are naturally used in the game eco system. If you aren't doing that, then clearly the feature is flawed and hence should remove it entirely.

and from there start again and create a better system.

One thing for certain though with server browse back the block function is now pointless as blocked people can join your game via server browse.

Plus one feature I've always wanted was the  ability to block MM when you are satisfied with your crew composition. Like readying means MM no longer sends you people. But people who you haven't blocked can join you via join crew

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 03:34:06 am »
Off topic to the original post, but on the subject of Goldfish as a teaching ship, I think it's great. I've never had problems with it. Tell one engy to repair the right/bottom of the ship (turning engines, hull, right gun, front gun) and tell another engy to repair the left/top of the ship (main engine, balloon, left gun, front gun, hull when absolutely necessary). Just put interesting guns on each side and actually use them. Give the gunner a spanner. Have the gunner help the hull when red, have the engies help the front gun when red. I usually put a gatling on the right side near the hull and a flamer or carronade or banshee on the left side. Have the gunner fire the front gun, then phoenix claw to the left to use the right gun, back to the front gun, phoenix claw to the right to use the left gun... everybody gets some action :)

there it is again. That social stigma that vets  are just conscripted teachers.

No. You play the game or you leave. Its the fact that they don't PLAY the game is exactly why people leave. I refuse to hold baby's lil hands and make him feel like a special little flower. No. You play the game like you're meant to play.

You play or you lose. You learn by going by how the veteran tells you to play and then guess what happens. That hwacha suddenly completely disables the enemy ship. You get that hull break from that side gat and you get that kill shot from that 2nd hwacha volley on your fish.

I will teach those who I feel have the potential to be excellent players and those that aren't are just training dummies to my recruits. I've been around novices and memorised every noob excuse to know which are the type to nurture, BUT I SHOULD NOT HAVE THE OBLIGATION/EXPECTATION to do so.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:38:34 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 07:53:26 am »
Also, contrary to you I usually TRY to teach, and as far as I remember you were bailing out immediately everytime you got a low level player aboard.

I don't know why you believe these two things and particularly that I bail with low level players. The only time I bail is if in the previous match a player didn't listen, or if in the lobby a player doesn't accept the recommended loadout (or offer an explanation). Level has nothing to do with attitude. Anyone who has played with me knows this so if you have an example I'd like to hear it but otherwise I don't want others to get there impression I don't like new players.

I get mad when people talk about trolling on goldfish so I don't wanna hear it, and I don't want people to believe the above quote unless you have any reason to validate it.

Ok, you got the point. To be honest it's been a long time since we played together, it actually might be the case of my memory failing. Whatever the case: I'm actually sorry for that accusation.

However, I felt you completely missed my point: even new players feel harmed having discovered that one fucker can ruin their game and they have NO means to deal with the bastard.