Author Topic: I am begging, please add minimum level requirements to pilot...  (Read 138147 times)

Offline Hypnopotamus Rex

• Salutes: 10
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: I am begging, please add minimum level requirements to pilot...
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2016, 09:36:50 pm »
Just played a few matches with novice pilots - put up with more than a few awful builds, but they were communicative enough to be taught a decent layout (for a Galleon, at least).
I find it really fun giving the newbies encouragement and feedback. Even though we'll end up getting steamrollered, they'll learn a valuable lesson.

Offline Red-Xiii

• Salutes: 32
    • [-§ɱ-]
    • View Profile
    • Steel Meridian
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2016, 01:10:46 am »
Just played a few matches with novice pilots - put up with more than a few awful builds, but they were communicative enough to be taught a decent layout (for a Galleon, at least).
I find it really fun giving the newbies encouragement and feedback. Even though we'll end up getting steamrollered, they'll learn a valuable lesson.

give this man a silver dollar.  i enjoy it for the most part as well.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2016, 08:25:49 am »

I feel you man. I totally do. Aaaaaaaand then assholes come...

Offline Lu Lu

• Salutes: 12
    • [zl0t]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2016, 05:33:02 pm »
Everyone needs to start somewhere.  Personally, one of the biggest problems I see in this game is the various attitudes held by certain players on the game.  Yes, there are some annoying new people who end up ruining some matches, but the thing is, those who do it intentionally are in the minority.  New players are incompetent, and we all were when we started playing this game, but when we let the idiotcy of the few taint the entire group that's a problem.  Just yesterday I was playing, and I met some very rude arrogant players.  These, however, weren't novices, nor where they low to mid level, these were veterans with thousands if not tens of thousands of matches under their belt, throwing hissy fits in text chat and captain's chat.  I could just as easily point out that due to the poor behavior of the veterans (I actually think almost all of the vets are awesome.  I really hope this doesn't offend any one) that we should kick them all from captaining because they bully lower level pilots/crew.  This is of course ridiculous, but it uses the very same logic that most experienced players use:  Novices are bad, some people who are bad tend to be arrogant, therefore, all novices are  bad and therefore arrogant. Instead of punishing all because of the errors of the few, we as a community must take it upon ourselves to educate this new addition to our player base.

Also, muse, if you happen to read this, please make the tutorials mandatory before actual online gameplay for each class, and please, also make the tutorials more comprehensive.

Offline Hypnopotamus Rex

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2016, 04:25:46 am »
Just yesterday I was playing, and I met some very rude arrogant players.  These, however, weren't novices, nor where they low to mid level, these were veterans with thousands if not tens of thousands of matches under their belt, throwing hissy fits in text chat and captain's chat.  I could just as easily point out that due to the poor behavior of the veterans (I actually think almost all of the vets are awesome.  I really hope this doesn't offend any one) that we should kick them all from captaining because they bully lower level pilots/crew.  This is of course ridiculous, but it uses the very same logic that most experienced players use:  Novices are bad, some people who are bad tend to be arrogant, therefore, all novices are  bad and therefore arrogant. Instead of punishing all because of the errors of the few, we as a community must take it upon ourselves to educate this new addition to our player base.

Similar thing happened a couple of days ago after a novice's first time in Labyrinth - one of the allied crew members was just tearing into them, "Why didn't you-" this, and "You were supposed to-" that. Way too aggressive to make people want to stay in the game.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2016, 05:59:52 am »
Now that you mention it CP does need a level requirement.

King of the hill and especially crazy king new pilots are literally dead weight unless the opposite team is just as bad.
even with giant captions on crazy king now, they still don't get it. Trying to grind cp wins as a non pilot is just a frustrating process (hence why I did it as a gunner pilot or engie pilot).

You got shiny big lights, a prompt in your face on every point change, the FACT that there is no kill count because its not DM. In CP you REALLY need to know how to fly and  have precise positioning. No novice has that so it becomes a matter of a semi intelligent play to just come in stealthily on point and cap and wait for gg (so much lab... so much lab that the game thinks its my favourite map).

On the in game prompts I think the press m for map will be useful if its just spammed over and over. Since that holds the match information like the mode rules and conditions for winning.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:02:11 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Hypnopotamus Rex

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2016, 06:26:18 am »
Now that you mention it CP does need a level requirement.

That's not what I was trying to get across - regardless of level, they're going to be a bit naff at CP the first time. The problem is the vets' attitude toward them.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2016, 06:42:19 am »
I don't consider someone that takes 5 or so signals before you get a reaction attentive. I also don't consider a gunner that keeps loading inci after being told not to attentive. Nor do I consider an engie told to not rebuild with mallet continue to rebuild with mallet attentive. Neither do I consider a pilot that chute suicides attentive. Nor bumper spams thinking they make you bullet proof vs a merc art, or hades carousel.

Those are nearly every single novice I encounter. The contempt is justifiable.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:45:30 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2016, 07:24:27 am »
I feel you Ceresbane, but goddammit, as you said: this is every novice YOU encounter.
You just somehow have more bad luck than I do.

And this is fucking awkward.

And as Hypnopotamus said: no matter the level requirement, first CP game is always a kick in balls for anyone: the newish pilot, and his allies. No matter whether the newish captain is lvl 2 or 25, or - whatever. The only difference might only be in that, as Disaster says, that lower players might not have unlocked some vital components yet, like: chats, voice chats, maps...

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2016, 08:23:56 am »
I guess I'm the very rare exception that got it first go.

Because I read the rules. I also read the mode name and got the gist beforehand.

Though my memory of king of the hill (the term) is a literal hill where kids beat the crap out of each other as they held a hill for themselves only to be rugby tackled off the perch, pretty much just kept going till someone cried or got too tired.

King of the hill. Ok its in the name I guess I defend some sort of area of which is constantly contested. Ok then so naturally there is some location I must find and defend. Naturally I look at the map and see the point star (because logic would indicate the map would show the location). I compare the map and what I see in game and see a light in the same direction.

"oh I guess thats the area"

bam-king of the hill learned.

Then I read the rules of points limits and contesting points and etc. And instantly got the mechanics based on games that use the same style. e.g. dawn of war where you contested points or cod dominion mode.

I definitely did what it said on the tin, be king of that hill. I went straight for that thing on the map and killed anyone that got near (by which point I knew what meta was because unlike most scrubs I spent all of my novice time in novice grinding every class-and dont forget it was ALL achieve based so I graduated way later than today's pansy ass standards).

In fact one of my earlier crazy kings involved me playing a full hour or so stalemate because there was a blue team capture zone bug on anglean where blues wouldn't start capping until they were inside the damn point balloon for x seconds before capping activates (this is after the point activates-I wasn't a moron). This was where red team capped but blue team did not. So the only way to maintain the stale mate was kill ships as they got near. Of course we eventually lost since kill points weren't a thing back then.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2016, 09:21:50 am »
(most of the rant)

What are trying to tell us? How special and unique you are? You are not. But to actually succeed, you have to know how some things work. And I don't mean rules, I mean actual mechanics.

(by which point I knew what meta was because unlike most scrubs I spent all of my novice time in novice grinding every class-and dont forget it was ALL achieve based so I graduated way later than today's pansy ass standards).

It's not like I was whining about the fact, it took me 100+ matches to earn my 3-3-3, learn basics and practice with a sort of... obvious handicap... and then suddenly with one fucking update I was out of novice, for like - 6 months. But I got over it, which I too suggest.
Though none can deny - how little time novices stay in the novice matches due to the current system, and seeing that they actually advice each other to tick-out the certain checkbox in matchfucker's options - is outrageous. Contrary to some opinions, staying in the fucking novice shows you - if not things you should know - at least things THAT SHOULD NOT FUCKING HAPPEN.

So the only way to maintain the stale mate was kill ships as they got near. Of course we eventually lost since kill points weren't a thing back then.

(which is probably the only fucking thing that should stay the same considering CP rules and mechanics)

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2016, 09:34:14 am »
Though none can deny - how little time novices stay in the novice matches due to the current system, and seeing that they actually advice each other to tick-out the certain checkbox in matchfucker's options - is outrageous. Contrary to some opinions, staying in the fucking novice shows you - if not things you should know - at least things THAT SHOULD NOT FUCKING HAPPEN.

This. So this. Novices are not playing in novices matches (for whatever reasons) and are gaming the system to achievement farm and level up incredibly quickly. When offered advice, I'd say a third ignore you, a third listen, and a third are vehemently opposed to listening to anything you say because they're "just playing for fun." But it isn't fun to lose for your crew and team over and over again. I've met so many players that are levels 10+ (and even 20+!) who don't know even basic mechanics, like damage types, repair tool uses, ammunition types, use of the F buttons for rudimentary AI commands, the eyeball near the compass indicating visibility status for spots, and bringing spyglass as a pilot (yes, this is well-known to be my biggest pet peeve  >:(). Last night I think I received the same amount of reports as I did applause (three each IIRC). Something has to be done. ANYTHING has to be done...

Amusing anecdote: Last night poor MyklGuul crewed for at least two matches with a group of new players* who refused all advice, even from him, their stalwart engineer. Their hwacha Goldfish had a gunner with lesmok, greased, and lochnager ammunition (nearly all players "in the know" would not bring these ammo types for hwacha; spread that burst ammo gospel!) and his repair tool was a MALLET. Their engineer had a buff kit, chem spray, spanner, and kerosene. Their pilot had a spyglass, rangefinder, and moonshine. Needless to say, I applauded Mkyl for his plucky bravery. He was the only person capable of keeping the ship afloat. He failed, but not because of lack of effort.

Contrast that with Mazzic, who also deserves a shout-out, but while operating in completely different circumstances. He was blessed with a crew of three nubs who actually LISTENED and they performed incredibly well! They were on a flak Spire killing it! Von Stroker was the gunner and it was truly impressive to witness good scrubs at work. We all congratulated him and his crew... as they destroyed the previously described enemy flying with the thankless Mkyl...  :'(

*Pretty sure these were the people reporting me, even after their racial slurs and bro-ing
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:44:47 am by Atruejedi »

Offline FranckM

• Salutes: 2
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2016, 09:39:00 am »
One of the main problem I had with novices was that they had voice chat off. Would it be possible to just put a small symbol near the name of people who don't have voice chat activated. By this I mean cannot hear me at all, I don't really mind if they don't have a microphone as long as I know if I need to communicate with text chat or voice chat.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2016, 09:41:20 am »
One of the main problem I had with novices was that they had voice chat off. Would it be possible to just put a small symbol near the name of people who don't have voice chat activated. By this I mean cannot hear me at all, I don't really mind if they don't have a microphone as long as I know if I need to communicate with text chat or voice chat.

Oh God, yes, please, immediately, screw the adventure mode or whatever bullshit they're working on. Now. Now. NOW.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2016, 11:14:33 am »
First KoTH game doesn't have to be a kick in the crotch. I once flew with a novice four pack whose first game was a KoTH. Asked me what they should bring and do and I told them bring a hwachagalleon fly to the middle of the map and point the big guns at ships coming in and shoot them. They did exactly that while I defended them, win or lose I'd have congratulated them because they acted in a community minded spirit and wanted to play the game. Was my ship carrying a bit? Sure, but most folk aren't frustrated by players being crap, of course players are going to be crap, they are frustrated by players who don't care. Of course if we are going to be grumpy with them it would help if players were aware what their responsibilities were, hence me wanting folks informed when they are de facto taking on responsibility for other peoples entertainment.

Turning off chat is another thing that should come with a warning informing players basically not to do it. In fact if it were possible to bury this eight submenus deep under twelve different ways to adjust the brightness of cloud edges from grey to slightly less dark grey that would be ideal. "I turned off voice chat so I could listen to the TV" makes as much sense to me as apologizing because you are playing the game with your feet so you can practice your juggling. If you want to juggle, juggle, if you want to play video games, play video games.