Author Topic: Ballons, Harpoons  (Read 5692 times)

Offline npckill

• Salutes: 1
    • [HEXY]
    • View Profile
Ballons, Harpoons
« on: December 30, 2015, 05:03:38 pm »
I got the idea, what if we can have multiple ballons (or separated ballons) on the ships? example: squid why not have 3 separated ballon? or the pyramidion 2?
and what if the helping for the falling teammate's ship with the harpoon? if we got much more lift force than we needed, could we hold them in the air with the harpoon gun?
sorry for grammar mistakes, im from hungary :)

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
Re: Ballons, Harpoons
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:32:12 am »
Interesting ideas, although I feel multiple balloons would severely hurt weapons that pop balloons. It'd be so ridiculously hard to properly drop a ship that no one would want to take guns like the carronade or lumberjack. I like the harpoon idea. Sure, people could troll and harpoon allies that don't need it, but you can already quite easily kill an ally with mines so is that really a problem?

Offline npckill

• [HEXY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:27:48 am »
thanks for reply, im sure, that ballons thing would make gameplay more challenging and with the harpoon we could actually stop teammates falling like a rock  ;)

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 11:48:58 am »
i was wondering about the seperate balloons idea in a seperate context: listing. as those age of sail nerds out there alreay know, listing is when the ship has been hit and is taking on water from one side, and starts to tip over as water rushes in. if you shot out the front or back or side balloon on a ship, wouldnt the lift be unbalanced and tip the ship to a side?

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 07:03:53 am »
IMO

harpoon is a failed experiment.

It should not be reserved for defending an ally. No other gun is meant for that.

Every gun in the game is meant to destroy the enemy ship. We, as players, choose to support our allies with those guns and prevent their death by disabling, destroying, or overwhelming the enemy.

A gun, whose sole purpose is to prevent our allie's death, is a gun that has no versatility.

Either

1) create more guns that defend allies. Which means more true support weapons that extend the life of ally ships or
2) remake the harpoon gun so that it has more versatilty or simply does more damage.

IMO - why should a lochnager carronade one hit a balloon but a harpoon gun with lesmok not be capable of the same thing? Give the stupid gun more range, faster reload, and fix your coding so that it still drags enemies after destroying a component (because I know damn well that is why it hasn't been fixed yet)

Offline Elsid Barrett

• [BAP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 10:57:31 am »
i was wondering about the seperate balloons idea in a seperate context: listing. as those age of sail nerds out there alreay know, listing is when the ship has been hit and is taking on water from one side, and starts to tip over as water rushes in. if you shot out the front or back or side balloon on a ship, wouldnt the lift be unbalanced and tip the ship to a side?

Yes, absolutely, but adding roll to the equation would mean a WHOLE mess of new flight/combat/firing dynamics. I'd be all for it, but it would probably be a physics/balance nightmare.

Edit: Pitch AND roll.