Author Topic: "The Cogs" Week 6 - Brackets  (Read 26545 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" Week 6 - Brackets
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 10:51:24 pm »
Must be the new map, thats my guess :P

And it's going to be Crazy King...

King of the Hill, actually. So the same general format as Scrap.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 05:33:39 am »
i dislike that we are getting forced on a test server.

this means that it doesnt matter how hard we train, we dont know the changes of the newest patches and we dont know if the weapons set-up on the ship actually work.

i dont see the problem in using the normal GoIo server.

i hope you think again about putting us on a test server.

i will be waiting for your answer,
Coldcurse.

(the cogs is a tournament, not a testlab)

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 05:49:42 am »
Are the Dutchmen even playing this week? Do you not have access to the dev app?

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 05:51:49 am »
we are fighting in week 7

Offline KillstreaKs

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 06:05:01 am »
i wonder when the brood will fight again. That was my first time in a cogs match, and that was some real fun!

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 06:18:15 am »

So, not this week, the week that this whole test server thing is actually taking place?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:25:30 am by Morblitz »

Offline Veyka

• Salutes: 12
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Just a site
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 06:33:26 am »

This won't affect you then, as by week 7 this patch will hit main servers.

As far as test servers or not, I am not playing this week, but even then I don't see the problem, meta changes, patches happen, the patch is going to hit next week anyway, all you have to do is deal with it a week earlier than you would have had to regardless.

With regards to servers themselves, I didn't notice any issues, if anything the lack of a general population mean less likelihood of issues.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 08:12:00 am »
As far as test servers or not, I am not playing this week, but even then I don't see the problem, meta changes, patches happen, the patch is going to hit next week anyway, all you have to do is deal with it a week earlier than you would have had to regardless.
Asking the entire base of competitors to download, register, and get organized in a separate client with a total of three days notice, when some of the teams are putting in a lot of effort just to get everyone to the Cogs in the first place. There's also the key fact that it's a development test build with some pretty serious bugs currently (ships freezing in place), and I definitely noticed performance issues. How it could be considered a stable platform for a competitive tournament is unfathomable.

On the other hand, this is exactly the kind of thing I've come to expect. ::)

Offline AquaMac

• Salutes: 7
    • View Profile
    • Winter Moon Entertaiment
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:07 am »
The point Veyka and Morblitz is that we were not even asked. It is not ok, and as Urz said there are a lot of bugs, not to mention a lot of lag. How was this even thought up? Who's idea was this? I know this is a dictatorship, and I also know this is for show, but we are not monkeys. At the same time I also know you would want the teams participation in this, and I do think that at least a conscientious could of been reached.

I have put this up in my teams personal forum, and thus far none of them are for this. I wanted to make sure it was not just my opinion, but the conscientious of my team. We will play on regular server, but they do not like that we are being forced on the test server. Not everyone is on or has tried it out, and just not enough time to practice.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 08:59:50 am »
I've discussed this with my boyfriend a couple of times since yesterday and we did give it some thought;- but our opinion didn't change in favor of getting us all prepared to play on a test server.

This means that if it's going to be the only solution to this problem;- we are more than happy to take a forfeit loss and call it a day.   Me and Aqua have strong opinions about it and seeing we already have some problems getting all of our 8 people online Corvus simply won't be able to play without the two of us missing.

We're up against Zill;- I don't know what his thoughts are or if he understands where we're coming from - but Urz is part of his team as our enemy this week and he also thinks this is just rediculous - and I'm fairly certain RearAdmiralZill wouldn't feel good about accepting a forfeit in this situation.

I get what you're trying to do but you're creating a lot of logistical problems and leave your doors wide open for delays and problems this weekend - additionally as already has been stated we simply don't want to be forced to play on a test server - however we are more than happy to VOLUNTEER to TEST balance changes and then provide feedback on it.

If needed I can make a list with a bunch of bullet points of possible problems that may or WILL arise;- but I'm sure you've come up with some of your own throughout this debate.

Mind you that we really want to play.  We're excited for it - we've been practising a ton - but something hit us in the wrong spot when we were reading that we're expected to be on the Test Server saturday.   We discussed this internally in Corvus - none of us wants to do this;- we're all on the same page.   I personally can't even get on the Test Server because I'm not flagged for it.  None of us has been asked personally by anyone - just Skrim who had communications with Bubbles and relayed information about sending in our Steam Account ID's.

In short and final;-

We are not accepting to play a tournament game on a test server with balance changes that are not live yet.  We have our reasons;- I hope you can respect those reasons.  I hope we can come up with a solution before Saturday;- if we can't - well... then we lost I guess.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:07:26 am by Phoebe »

Offline Veyka

• Salutes: 12
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Just a site
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 09:16:11 am »
Asking the entire base of competitors to download, register, and get organized in a separate client with a total of three days notice, when some of the teams are putting in a lot of effort just to get everyone to the Cogs in the first place. There's also the key fact that it's a development test build with some pretty serious bugs currently (ships freezing in place), and I definitely noticed performance issues. How it could be considered a stable platform for a competitive tournament is unfathomable.

On the other hand, this is exactly the kind of thing I've come to expect. ::)

Pressing the install button in steam is a huge effort! Steam says I spent about 5 hours messing about on it yesterday, and I didn't experience any game breaking bugs, I hope you sent muse your output log :p

I was somewhat surprised that the matches are to be played on the test server, but I suppose some people find this to be a bigger deal for them than others, I hope this gets resolved without turning into a total mess heh.

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 11:27:24 am »
Hi everyone, I have returned! 
Firstly, thanks everyone for testing the build!  You guys report, and we are fixing the bugs.  It's been really awesome, as you all know the game inside out. 

With the Cogs, I definitely understand both sides of the argument.  I personally don't mind it, maybe because we are expected to lose anyways.  I think everyone's battling under the same conditions, as are we actually.  I've been having so much fun using the spire, I barely tested anything else, hahahaha.  I'm actually pretty hopeful, especially on the new map.  When I flew against the ducks, I still lost every match, but I was taking them down!  LOL.  I do think that with the new build, sine the incumbents have to learn the new build as well, it presents a challenge for every team, but that challenge doesn't benefit the incumbents.  Just my 2 cents. 

For performance, the test server was running ok for me in my matches yesterday, but if anyone's seeing performance issues, please report them asap, and we'll get them fixed up. 

Lastly, Skrim and Aqua, if you guys need to add more people in, let me know asap, and I can add them in. 

And Phoebe, can you help me check your account again?  Remember, it's the name you used to sign up to steam with.  If you can get that to me, I'll fix you up asap. 

So far out of about 120 people, only 3 have the wrong steam name, everyone else should be good to go. 

Thanks!  Howard

Offline KillstreaKs

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »
Hi everyone, I have returned! 
Firstly, thanks everyone for testing the build!  You guys report, and we are fixing the bugs.  It's been really awesome, as you all know the game inside out. 

With the Cogs, I definitely understand both sides of the argument.  I personally don't mind it, maybe because we are expected to lose anyways.  I think everyone's battling under the same conditions, as are we actually.  I've been having so much fun using the spire, I barely tested anything else, hahahaha.  I'm actually pretty hopeful, especially on the new map.  When I flew against the ducks, I still lost every match, but I was taking them down!  LOL.  I do think that with the new build, sine the incumbents have to learn the new build as well, it presents a challenge for every team, but that challenge doesn't benefit the incumbents.  Just my 2 cents. 

For performance, the test server was running ok for me in my matches yesterday, but if anyone's seeing performance issues, please report them asap, and we'll get them fixed up. 

Lastly, Skrim and Aqua, if you guys need to add more people in, let me know asap, and I can add them in. 

And Phoebe, can you help me check your account again?  Remember, it's the name you used to sign up to steam with.  If you can get that to me, I'll fix you up asap. 

So far out of about 120 people, only 3 have the wrong steam name, everyone else should be good to go. 

Thanks!  Howard
So, is the beta still open? Because i can´t figure out how to get it. I´ve been looking for "Guns of icarus dev app" in my steam library, but i don´t see it anywhere.

Offline AquaMac

• Salutes: 7
    • View Profile
    • Winter Moon Entertaiment
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 12:17:39 pm »
The current Cogs' teams playing this Saturday were invited that I know of. Not everyone was invited to test it out.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 01:37:30 pm »
In short and final;-

We are not accepting to play a tournament game on a test server with balance changes that are not live yet.  We have our reasons;- I hope you can respect those reasons.  I hope we can come up with a solution before Saturday;- if we can't - well... then we lost I guess.

If this is the case, Corvus will drop Match 2 and The Brood will be given another chance instead. Is this a full team decision? If you're certain that Corvus want to forfeit, we need to get things sorted as soon as possible, to give Brood a fighting chance to prepare under the new patch.