Author Topic: "The Cogs" Week 6 - Brackets  (Read 25991 times)

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
"The Cogs" Week 6 - Brackets
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:50:32 am »
Well, Week 6 is certainly a week of change. With the new patch fast approaching and Qwerty locked back up on the farmstead, things are certainly going to get interesting for everyone involved this time around.

Of course, this means that I needed to find a replacement for my hopelessly cheerful and chipper companion for the stream this week... But I couldn't, so we just asked Papa Paradox to help out. He'll be streaming live this week and commentating on the action, so be sure to thank him for stepping in. Trust me, if I had to stream The Cogs myself, it'd be more unwatchable than four field gun squids in a paddling vs gents match.

So, what've we got this week then? Let's take a look (Click to enlarge)

Match 1 looks set to be a true tragedy. It's unfortunate, but no matter what they do it seems that Museosaurs end up rolled against some of the most hardcore newcomer teams. We're rooting for them though, hoping all the practice and patience has paid off for the devs as they face yet another tough team. Of course, the newcomers themselves certainly aren't going to roll over and give the devs that elusive first Cogs victory. Black Flight Squadron are here to play, and as the first team of The Bully Boys, the name really does say it all. Our prayers are with you, Muse... But our money is on the Bullies. They'll be facing off in the Northern Fjords, a personal favourite of the casting team as you all know. Of course, time will tell whether this truly is Muse's last stand, or the site where our battered world-builders finally blossom in battle.

In Match 2 we see two of the most aggressive teams remaining within The Cogs duking it out. Sitting proud in the Challenger's Cog, Merry Northern Storm is one of the more established teams in The Cogs roster, having previously held the Champion spot before the Ducks set off on their current rampage. On the other side of Canyon Ambush, the Corvus Marauders ships lie low, waiting for their chance. Sound familiar? It should, this match is essentially a complete repeat of Match 2 from Week 3, where the Storm successfully defended their position against the Corvus menace while the Mercs struggled to break through the Storm's defences to return to the Challenger's Cog. With one victory already, can Merry Northern Storm maintain their position, or will Corvus be able to recover their honour by smacking down the Storm and evening the score? Same map, same teams, same stakes. Déjà vu!

Match 3 is going to be fun. We've seen The Paddling and The Gentlemen face off before. We all know what to expect from one of these matches by now. Twenty minutes of sniping followed by Smollett rushing forward and obliterating the Gents... But this time, things are going to be a little different. Very different in fact. A special thanks to the Muse team for letting us run this one on the Test Server, both of these talented teams are in for a true Surprise! Versatility and confidence are what both teams need, and what both teams have. I'm personally really looking forward to this one. It's incredible that the Muse Team are letting us do it at all, so thank you Bubbles!

A quick reminder for all participating teams. Week 6 is going to be held on the Test Server. A tutorial on how to gain access to the server'll be posted up later on, but make sure that your team representative has collected a list of your roster's player names and sent it on to Muse-Bubbles. If you still need to get this sorted, please hurry. This one is logistically tricky, but the end result'll be well worth it.

Yes, this means that the matches will be played with the new patch. Excited yet?

As always, The Cogs will be streamed on the official Cogs stream, Occasionally Effective. Since Qwerty's spending the next couple of weeks with the yokels and his favourite chickens, Papa Paradox has agreed to step in and help out. Thanks Para! We'll be on-hand to observe and commentate on the action.

That's all for now. Be sure to stop by this Saturday at 4pm EST to see all of the action. Once again, a huge thanks to the Muse team for letting us muck around on their Test Server. Those guys are awesome.

See you then and good luck. Stay safe.

-Swallow

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" Week 6 - Brackets
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:22 pm »
how is it possible for us to play on the test server when we have to pull in replacements?
+3 days practice with new patch?

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 01:25:18 pm »
Feel free to add a reserve or two into the list you give to bubbles, and as for the practice... Well, you'd best get to it, no?

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:26:40 pm »
well it seem that i cant practice since i cant get on to the test servers, or at least i cant at the moment

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 01:28:07 pm »
Feel free to add a reserve or two into the list you give to bubbles, and as for the practice... Well, you'd best get to it, no?

the deadline for this was like 2 weeks ago?

Offline AquaMac

• Salutes: 7
    • View Profile
    • Winter Moon Entertaiment
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:34:42 pm »
Swallow, I can not speak for everyone, but our team at least is pretty international. It is actually pretty hard to get us all on as it is, and now this? Frankly I did not know this was being forced on us, but was a volunteer opportunity. As well this is the first time that I know of that you mentioned this in forums. Not everything was really explained to us, even though we did our best to get info about it.

Than of course lies the other problems such as subs, or even last minute subs, which everyone gets at last minute for Cogs, which there are no rules against, except that they are not playing that week on another team.

I am not sure this was well thought out or planned properly.

Just voicing my concerns.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »
the team name is not the flying dutchmen, its "the whalers"

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 05:21:35 pm »
Hello;

I personally am not very happy that I am basically forced to play on a test server with a different built than saturdays current just to participate in the Cogs Tournament this coming saturday.

I will volunteer in playtesting changes made to the game and provide feedback on those changes - that's what a test server is supposed to be.  I am not alright with having to forfeit a loss in a competitive tournament because I can't be present doing this.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 06:28:54 pm »
I can't be present doing this.

What does that have to do with it being a test server?

Offline AquaMac

• Salutes: 7
    • View Profile
    • Winter Moon Entertaiment
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »
Because this was sprung on us at last minute, and none of us knew Swallow was going to force us, with no prep work etc, plus the server is very laggy. We were told this was a volunteer opportunity, not something that we were gonna be forced to do. There seems to be a lot of variables, like subs. You know as well as i do that we are always subbing. Seems others also have concerns about this. Not sure why it has to be Cogs? Why can it not be any match to test it out or a friendly scrimmage? I will play with any of you anytime on test server for scrimmage.

We are already having problems right now getting everyone on the teams to commit to this and get in. What do you think will happen on Saturday during Cogs? We already get some commotion with just regular Cogs.

I just find this really hard to do, to get everyone on board. I did what i needed to do and got onboard, and even went in today to help test it out, but I am not everyone.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:15:01 pm »
I completely agree with what Corvus is saying. This is ridiculous.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 09:32:25 pm »
I'm confused, the patch takes effect on Saturday doesn't it? So Cogs will be on the standard servers right?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 09:40:30 pm »
The patch is being released on Tuesday, and therefore Cogs will be on test servers.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 10:03:40 pm »
Ohhh, oh well, servers didn't seem too bad.

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:48:57 pm »
Must be the new map, thats my guess :P

And it's going to be Crazy King...