Author Topic: Mark messages in Crew color  (Read 10115 times)

Offline Karotte

• Salutes: 0
    • [SMGS]
    • View Profile
Mark messages in Crew color
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:21:00 am »
Hey,
it would be alot helpful if the messages in the upper left would be marked in your Crew/Ship color.

E.g. If your Ship/Crew kills a ship or destroys/repairs a component etc...

This way we could easier keep track of important messages.
TIA

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Mark messages in Crew color
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:10:26 am »
Here is my input:

get rid of it.

Why should I, as captain of a ship - the center of knowledge, the tactician of the battle, know what happens to my ally halfway across the map based off some text in the top left corner.

That ally of mine should either press C and tell me or type "IM DISABLE BY HWATCHA"

I can see damn well when a Goldfish's Hwacha has been destroyed by one of my Artemis. So can the guy shooting it. If either of us can't - tough luck.

I am not saying that the text is distracting. I am saying it is unnecessary. Some people try to compare it to Rocket League's text. Same thing. I know when the ball was put in the center. I know when someone scored. It is unnecessary text - although it is not necessarily distracting. It is fine the way it is.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:58:47 am »
It can give you great input on how your ally is doing in his fight, for example, wether your ally has managed to destroy stuff on his opponent's ship. In competitive communication is key, but sometimes I manage to ask my ally if he needs help, before he is able to ask me to help him, because I read the text on the top left corner, which leads to quicker reaction and better teamwork.

Your ally may tell you that he is disabled by Hwacha, Artemis or Carronades, but I doubt he will tell you about every little thing that is happening on his side, because you would be required to do the same and it would flood the voice chat and nobody can concentrate on anything anymore.

Offline Fynx

• Salutes: 30
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:15:46 am »
It's far more input that you'll get from your ally in more than half of public matches. And I assure you, quite often you won't know if your artemis destroyed an engine or just damaged it. Or hull. Or balloon. Or even hwacha. And if you're the pilot you need to be flooded with that kind of information and you can't really expect that if you have three people in your crew, two out of them mute and all of them unsure about what's going on.

I think it would be nice to have messages about captains (or players in general) leaving (possibly disconnecting) there too. Upper case. Big upper case.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:28:39 am »
And I assure you, quite often you won't know if your artemis destroyed an engine or just damaged it. Or hull. Or balloon. Or even hwacha. And if you're the pilot you need to be flooded with that kind of information

(...)

I think it would be nice to have messages about captains (or players in general) leaving (possibly disconnecting) there too. Upper case. Big upper case.

Offline lolTSM

• Salutes: 4
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:46:16 am »
If anything, I'd love to make the battle log bigger and just drop the opacity. Maybe special color for just me so a glance can tell you if it was a break or not.

Offline FranckM

• Salutes: 2
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 10:38:34 am »
I wish we could have customizable UI so that everyone could have what they prefer. Kind of like star wars the old republic with some presets like the skirmish UI and the adventure mode UI.

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:08:56 am »
And I assure you, quite often you won't know if your artemis destroyed an engine or just damaged it.

A giant blue thing emits from it. I always see my ally strip our enemy ship's hull. The majority of the time I can tell through clouds which components are destroyed based on the blue flashes location within the spot rectangle.

When I am disabling I very often destroy the main gun, then watch it smoke. When the smoke clears from the gun I shoot it again and watch as it immediately flashes blue and starts smoking again. Sometimes I look at the top left and watch for "so-and-so rebuilt such-and-such's thing-er-thing" but not very often.

Muse did a great job of showing animations. I do not feel the text is a requirement. I also do not feel it is overly distracting or an overpowered system.

Completely agree with this though. Bottom left grey text is not enough.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:12:00 am by Solidusbucket »

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 01:48:21 pm »
Let's be fair: both animations and announcements are very good. Sometimes you want to know, what damage did you do with a hwacha to a broadside of galleon, and especially, which guns are operational, or how easy would it be to get him in front cause you somehow screwed their engines.

In such cases those animations are so stacked on a model, alongisde with hitmarks*, you have no fucking clue what did you get, so announcement texts are quite handy confirmation.

* especially when firing from rather LONG range

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 02:09:41 pm »
You're not always supposed to be looking directly at your enemies as a captain, and if you are doing so under any sort of pressure just to see what you've disabled visually you're going to severely lack the efficiency you otherwise would've had with the logs.

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 03:58:18 pm »
You're not always supposed to be looking directly at your enemies as a captain, and if you are doing so under any sort of pressure just to see what you've disabled visually you're going to severely lack the efficiency you otherwise would've had with the logs.

I was talking to someone yesterday about a type of immersion mode.

Something where there is no hud, no icons, no ammo count, no spotting.

All you have to go on is the animations, the sounds, and communication. I would say same thing for the map. Just a map. Maybe your own location because these maps are somewhat terrible sat maps but nothing beyond that.

thoughts?

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 04:40:16 pm »
Something where there is no hud, no icons, no ammo count, no spotting.
thoughts?

From a while ago, people have mentioned that they would like some sort of "hardcore mode", which includes, or rather excludes, the things you listed, some even wanted to enable friendly fire.

I would like this too, even if I would prefer at least the health of your own components are visible, else it would be a nightmare.

Offline lolTSM

• Salutes: 4
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 05:44:12 am »
Yeah, the idea of your own component health being visible was something we had discussed.

I'd had the idea of only gunners have hud indicators of gun health, and engineers for components, obviously both could see health if they directly walk up to it. And then captain has fully visibility and has to verbally communicate it or compounding with another idea i've been playing around with the concept of is class spots.

I like the idea of certain information being veiled between classes so everyone has to be speaking up and keeping everyone up to date.
My idea was for a 'gunner spot' on enemy ships that lasted for 30 seconds or so, that only he could see that maybe gave a real time range from the ship, or some sort of detailed enemy information, like a health bar, i dunno. Both are reasonably discernible as is without that though, i suppose.

My thoughts for the engineer would be that if the captain saw no component health or anything, the engineer would be able to spot ship components, and have them visible to capt for 45 seconds or whatever. If not that, then maybe something like a buff for components, but is only active as long as the engineer is actually standing on the component slamming away or whatever?