Author Topic: Aiming marks on Galleon (ode to the sky tour pilot)  (Read 7267 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Aiming marks on Galleon (ode to the sky tour pilot)
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:23:10 pm »
Cue the minstrel music....

The day was new and the sky grew bright.

Excitement filled me to the brim.

I was to have my first mission since a fortnight

But low, boarding the ship, I saw him.

Hair a ruffled, clothes unkempt, a blank stare upon his eye.

Our pilot, our captain, this young bit of scruff

Who put this boy on the helm?

He carried a spyglass in one hand and in the other a buff.

Has insanity fell on this realm?

And what shall we be flying, oh captain of mine?

A Pyramidian, Goldfish, our something of ease?

A Galleon, he says without waste of words or time.

He needs not speak to folks such as these.

We take to the skies with resigned hearts.

We know this battle will likely be our last.

Our fellow ships fly North to the fray, while to the South our pilot departs.

Our pleads fall to deaf ears as he decides to climb the mast.

Minutes or hours pass, we could not tell.

Our intrepid helmsman finally joins the fleet.

Alas, oh alas, we found a fresh hell

This was the fate we expected to meet.

Onward we fly at the foes, straight as an arrow.

'GET RECKED" he shouts in a smug little quip.

Charging with the confidence of a bull, but the brains of a sparrow

He does not know the guns are on the side of the ship.

The splinters fly.

The engines cry.

The ships all die.

We all know why.

It is the fault of the Sky Tour Pilot.

Serious suggestion:

Place aiming marks on the side of the Galleon for easy reference. Paint marks, chalk, pegs, cross-hair stuck in the railing anything to help new pilots instinctively line enemies up with actual guns.

Offline FranckM

• Salutes: 2
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
Re: Aiming marks on Galleon (ode to the sky tour pilot)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 01:28:42 pm »
I would also really enjoy if we could have flag near the bottom gun to know in which direction we are flying.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 02:32:49 am »
Time for you two to message feedback@musegames.com!

Awesome ideas

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:15 am »
I agree flag at the bottom would be nice as projectiles buggering off in the wrong direction really gets on my wick.

I don't necessarily agree with having something like this though. As good as it might be in alleviating the frustration we can feel as more experienced crew with an inexperienced captain, the original point of the game was communication between crew and captains. Stuff like this just gives less reason to speak and buffs the galleon in pub play unnecessarily. Being blind to your arcs gives gunners more reason to communicate with the captain, we even have voice commands for that when we don't have a mic. On a side note, I feel this would just kill the immersion and the satisfaction of working together as multiple people to one goal. This just makes this more a pilot-centric game, meaning the crew can just be silent about their needs.

I'd rather the game not be entirely dictated by four of sixteen people.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 09:56:09 pm »
I would also really enjoy if we could have flag near the bottom gun to know in which direction we are flying.

I've suggested something similar a while ago.

--

Newbluud

Well sometimes the ship is moving/rotating and you can't really see it well, and when you shoot your bullets go in entirely unexpected direction. I don't know whether captain should communicate every turn, and even then that might be insufficient information to try counter the movement and aim well.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 11:46:50 am »

Newbluud

Well sometimes the ship is moving/rotating and you can't really see it well, and when you shoot your bullets go in entirely unexpected direction. I don't know whether captain should communicate every turn, and even then that might be insufficient information to try counter the movement and aim well.

That's not what I'm referring to. I was half asleep when I typed that. By "something like this" I was actually referring to the crosshair on the side of the galleon.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:44 pm »
The idea came about while talking to someone that has actually been on ships. They would often put markings on the ship to indicate where guns would have the best shots on an enemy or as navigation aids. On the point of buffing the Galleon, that is a bit silly since every other ship aside from the Junker is simply point the ship at the enemy and let guns shoot with zero communication required. The Junker is also better since most light guns have better arcs and you can see three guns from the helm. So, it is neither an unrealistic immersion break (as it was done in real life) nor an unfair buff to the Galleon.

How about a compromise. Make it a 'Training Theme' that can be removed. Make one for every ship. Flags can be added in themes as well to help with movement on guns.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:18:55 pm »
The idea came about while talking to someone that has actually been on ships. They would often put markings on the ship to indicate where guns would have the best shots on an enemy or as navigation aids. On the point of buffing the Galleon, that is a bit silly since every other ship aside from the Junker is simply point the ship at the enemy and let guns shoot with zero communication required. The Junker is also better since most light guns have better arcs and you can see three guns from the helm. So, it is neither an unrealistic immersion break (as it was done in real life) nor an unfair buff to the Galleon.

How about a compromise. Make it a 'Training Theme' that can be removed. Make one for every ship. Flags can be added in themes as well to help with movement on guns.

I still believe, in terms of the communication required, that this will just further push ships that require more crew input into being the pilot's toy. Considering I am not a competitive pilot, but instead crew, I may have some biases, but I sincerely dislike the idea of 25% of the players actually mattering. Plus, this "training theme" would just become the default theme for everyone as it provides an objective advantage. For gun arcs and control. I don't think of it as an unfair buff to the galleon, but definitely a removal of what makes it an advanced ship. In short, dumbing the game down.

It was always supposed to be about communication, and not just communication between pilots exclusively. Gun arcs is part of that too, hence the "turn ship x side" voice commands being available only at gunning positions.

Regardless of the actual ship business, perhaps the design irks me more in terms of immersion. A marker that isn't an actual crosshair would certainly be far more pleasing to the eye.

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 01:38:47 am »
there is a board that is slightly a different color i use to line up the perpendicular heavy gun angles. its rough, but i have had some success with it.