Author Topic: Guns of Icarus Cens█rship  (Read 7555 times)

Offline ThePirateBay

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Guns of Icarus Cens█rship
« on: November 17, 2015, 12:29:26 am »
Not sure where to place this but I am being harassed by an administrator about my ship name "gRAPES OF WRATH" This reminds me of such incidents of before, when ignorance and the dominance of 'PC' (politically correct) culture has over-regulated such matters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22
I refer to the following wikipedia article which focuses on similar instances of useless censorship.

This is a great literary book written by one of the greatest American literary authors. Read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath

This also reminds me of a previous supreme court ruling, which again I will cite on wikipedia because this not an academic forum:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it

In short, people will read far too much into whatever they read and place their own experiences and convictions instead of looking at something objectively.
This is precisely why there will never be a filter on a word such as 'grape': just because a certain person sees an offensive word inside of another is something I simply cannot control.

This isn't a thread about freedom of speech for I know that 'freedom of speech' does not apply anywhere but inside of government institutions. This is an issue of over-censorship and just because someone is offended doesn't mean there is something to BE offended about. 

To me, this is such a non-issue. What Guns of Icarus should be focused on is the dwindling player base. I think it's the focus on such trivial matters that has led to its small player community.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus Cens█rship
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:56:03 am »
Ah yes, I've heard a lot of mods talk about you.

Hey PirateBay, if you really love Grapes of Wrath so much, why not pay homage to John Steinbeck by having the correct capitalization? Or just capitalize all the letters. That way these PC SJW Feminazi  mods will leave poor ol you alone?

Your post isn't going to help your case man. It's so blatantly a troll post. If you have a serious issue with the way our middling team handles censorship, feel free to send an email to abuse@musegames.com
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:57:37 am by DJ Logicalia »

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 01:04:10 am »
There was recently a thread started, just to report your behavior.

At the time, I disregarded it as an overreaction to "newb-ish" flying. I now stand corrected, you are clearly a troll.

You can act as oppressed as you want. You can link as many articles that you want, pertaining to issues of victims of injustice. It doesn't change the fact that your ship name is a clearly an intentionally, and poorly hidden name of rape.

That is a poor joke if it is meant to be, but judging by your clear cries for attention it is trollish at best and offensive at worst. No one in this community is going to support you.

The admins in this game are hard-working, fair and just people who give their own time to make this game better. You are a $hit stain upon this community that will be better without you. In the three years of GOIO's life I have seen a lot of trolls try to make their mark. This community is small and grown up enough to ostracize them with great conviction.

There's the door....go play CoD you pathetic worm.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:37:52 am »
Yup, troll post.

On the subject, how about those other ship names I see of yours:

gRAPESEED OIL for example...  :'(

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 04:27:07 am »
Ya know that kid that claimed this guy and another were trolling...yeah...gotta love it when the troll convicts himself and does it in public. Maestro mods, Ban Hammer Concierto if you please.

Offline Hilary Briss

• Salutes: 22
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:26 am »
Hi.

Firstly. Fair play for changing the ship and your players name. Good match other night. Now lets keep that ethos going. Be sociable and kill the enemy. No need to act like you had your toys taken away because you were naughty. Realize you made an error and correct it and be a part of the community not one who rails against it.

However. Can i ask you to Just think for a moment. Imagine that your Gf had been "Raped" (or you had been raped) and you saw that ship name gRAPESOFWRATH et cetera there have been 3 by my count with the word RAPE involved.... Would it not conjure up images of your Gf being abused by the hands of an other man or maybe your boyfriend was violently assaulted. Then surely you would report the ship name and the players involved.

Secondly. There is a CoC "Code of Conduct" you sign when making your account. You agree not to be a fool or try to be clever and circumvent the Code of Conduct with regard to naming ships and yourself.

As this is a private venue, the so called free speech that you hold so dear does not pertain to Private venues. Guns of Icarus is a private venue so you must abide by the Code of Conduct. Lest you become a "social pariah" with nobody who wants to associate with you. Bear in mind "small community" that is fiercely protected. We like to keep the community as harmonious as possible. Actions like your seek to undo that balance.

A social and moral compass is a great thing.

Offline -Anakin-

• Salutes: 47
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »
Don't feed the troll.

He knows what he's doing.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 02:03:39 pm »
^ That's what's best but here's a few parting thoughts.

You haven't read the links you posted PirateBay. You can use the word niggardly in public but unless you're a professional then it's immature at best- as the article describes. "I know it when I see it" is exactly why you were reported for the ship names. This is not a public setting; you're using the services provided by Muse and have agreed to their Terms and Conditions.

If you like the game you should stop because you're at strike 3. You've infuriated players by trolling and are deliberately being offensive. If you want to play then that's great but be respectful or consider the next incident the last.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:48:15 pm »
YOU tried to start a grASS roots effort and only managed to upset a wHOLE lot of people.