Author Topic: Hull repair tool: Welding Torch  (Read 7615 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Hull repair tool: Welding Torch
« on: November 08, 2015, 02:31:33 pm »
Not for armor. This tool's primary ability is slowly repairing the perma hull. Side effects are a chance of lighting the armor on fire. Perhaps also used to repair or rebuild at about half the rate of a pipe wrench.

The permahull repair might be something like n+(h*.01) per second, n being a flat number, and h being max permahull. Squids would gain the most out of n, while Galleons would gain the most out of (h*.01).

Thoughts?

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Hull repair tool: Welding Torch
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:23:14 pm »
Personally.. I don't think they should add ways to restore hull health at all..

For co-op though? Sure why not.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:27:37 pm »
Thoughts?

I'm not a fan -- it's kind of a trap choice, as it actively weakens your ability to keep your ship alive for a desperate hope that you'll win and have time to heal up. Probably only useful in stomps as a result, but much too strong in them, as it allows a team that's winning hard to be effectively full health every time.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:10:50 am »
Triple engineer meta returns...engage, ultimate tank mode...

In response...Muse buffs heavy flak back to 1.1 flying howitzer levels...massive Galleon flak battles and Flakfish return to the meta...

Alright I'm in...

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 05:34:25 pm »
It's certainly an interesting idea, but how about the tool only works when the armour is down, so you can access the ship's integrity underneath? Using it on the armour component while the armour is up would remove armour.

I mean, that'd make it more balanced in my opinion, but it'd open a floodgate of trolling opportunities. There's the problem with that.

Also, perhaps there is perma-perma? You can only repair the hull to a maximum of 50%, that way you will still die to a single heavy flak or quick enough that tanking is unlikely to save you from the mortar. It might, however, be very useful for ships in the hull-break-equals-guaranteed-death zone.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 06:01:38 pm »
Again it would only be viable for triple engi builds. The second engi is rarely near hull but a third engi can be. It would need to regen hull damn fast in order to be usable and then it would be unbalanced between explosive and everything else. Also you'd just bring a mine to break armor and regen hull. There's no way to balance perma hull regen in this game.

It has no place being a tool. If there were ship abilities/skills then there could be something with passive regen or a guaranteed 50% after combat but not this game.
Quote from: Caprontos
For co-op though? Sure why not.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:05:48 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 06:14:38 pm »
Again it would only be viable for triple engi builds. The second engi is rarely near hull but a third engi can be. It would need to regen hull damn fast in order to be usable and then it would be unbalanced between explosive and everything else. Also you'd just bring a mine to break armor and regen hull. There's no way to balance perma hull regen in this game.

It has no place being a tool. If there were ship abilities/skills then there could be something with passive regen or a guaranteed 50% after combat but not this game.

I agree with you. Given the choice, I'd see no way for this to exist and improve the game in any way. However, I just wanted to humour the idea. It's more interesting to think about what it could be than just say "no".

As for co-op. I've yet to experience that, so I can't really feed much back with regards to that. It definitely seems better suited to PvE.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 06:22:07 pm »
If they had a version of PvE that had lulls between waves, I could see it working. As co-op is now, not really. No time to sit and repair.

The idea of making it a pilot tool is interesting, though. Use it on the helm to slowly repair the entire ship (but not permahull), or as crew to repair only permahull.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:21:41 am »
Like the scrub that rushes to hull during a carro attack.

y you fix what ain't broken?