Author Topic: Flying around workaround  (Read 17652 times)

Offline michael.hauda

• Salutes: 5
    • [MisF]
    • View Profile
Re: Flying around workaround
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 12:08:59 pm »
What if we need to hide? I don't always want to find Lueosi on Firnfeld, must find arch to cower..

In all seriousness though I don't experience an inability to find my enemy all that often; I do like Pie's creative idea with the birds, I just don't feel there is a problem to begin with. fire a hades into the air, usually does the trick as does turning around  (often my ally and I are both going clockwise or counterclockwise xD)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 08:06:17 pm »
Ear trumpets would help greatly in the area of long time no-spots. It is an extra tool to consider, but allows one crew member to gradually tune into the location of an enemy.

errr... there's way too much noise pollution for that to work.

People nag about the range finder's uselessness (because it is seeing as the map screen does the job well enough) but lore wise it makes sense to exist.

Which is why they never used acoustic locators in real life. Way too much noise pollution.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 08:55:08 am »
Which is why they never used acoustic locators in real life. Way too much noise pollution.

In fact, they were even specifically used to find Zeppelins!

Of course, I'm not sure of the effectiveness one of these would have mounted TO a Zeppelin -- I imagine the vibrations and the constant noise would make incoming similar noises much harder to detect. Images of actual acoustic locators all seem to be ground-based in relatively quiet areas like fields...

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 09:29:19 am »
How about a new tool - a compass?

something like that one from Pirates of the Caribbean

It shakes alot but pauses for like a second every so often to indicate which direction the enemy is?

A Golden Compass  8)#

To make it fair, add an effect to it, holder is slowed down by like 15% or Stamina Drain or something to make it less cheaty
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:32:10 am by The Mann »

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 11:32:01 am »
Mine ally, continue to mine ally, realise both enemy ships are watching you mine kill ally...

>fly a munker
>score is 3:2 against your team
>you got 3 kills
>2 of them were ally kills
>9/11, would kill allies again

Dis, it was 7:2, if we're talking about the same match. :p

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 12:40:33 pm »
I like the idea of adding another pilot tool for locating hidden ships, but don't think it should be as easy as a compass or anything else that says "ship this way" with no player input. That is why I keep bringing up ear trumpets. In fact, I just cobbled a tool concept together to illustrate what one could look like.

The concept starts in with this. Which is pretty silly looking.

I tore apart a gramophone model and made this. Video link.

The tool would work like the spyglass and range finder, being handheld and raised to the head when in use. You would be able to hear enemy engines and ambient sounds like guns reloading. Perhaps even muffled voices from voicechat. An experienced user could tell the difference between different ship types just by the sound. Standing near your own engines would diminish the tool's effective range. It could not mark enemies, and would rely on the user to convey location information.

Would it work in real life? Likely not. But neither would 100 ton ships supported by party balloons. Is it believable within the reality of GOIO? Yup. Looks like it would work, so it would.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 01:47:49 pm »
I like the idea of adding another pilot tool for locating hidden ships, but don't think it should be as easy as a compass or anything else that says "ship this way" with no player input. That is why I keep bringing up ear trumpets. In fact, I just cobbled a tool concept together to illustrate what one could look like.

The concept starts in with this. Which is pretty silly looking.

I tore apart a gramophone model and made this. Video link.

The tool would work like the spyglass and range finder, being handheld and raised to the head when in use. You would be able to hear enemy engines and ambient sounds like guns reloading. Perhaps even muffled voices from voicechat. An experienced user could tell the difference between different ship types just by the sound. Standing near your own engines would diminish the tool's effective range. It could not mark enemies, and would rely on the user to convey location information.

Would it work in real life? Likely not. But neither would 100 ton ships supported by party balloons. Is it believable within the reality of GOIO? Yup. Looks like it would work, so it would.

Can I email this to Muse, or would you like to diy matey?

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 02:38:10 pm »
I just sent them a long Minotaur critique, and like to space them out a bit, so be my guest. I hate to personally add too much to their "Great ideas to look into" mountain.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 03:08:49 pm »
I love this

I need this