Author Topic: Questions about the ENGINEER  (Read 37254 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Questions about the ENGINEER
« on: February 23, 2013, 08:46:11 am »
I liked the idea of the gunner questions thread, so I'm starting this one up.

Anyways, ask any questions you may have about the engineer class, and I or another helpful community member shall answer them

Offline SeaMichelle

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about the ENGINEER
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:14:57 am »
I'm going to sign on as a helper in this thread, as a decent engineer myself.

Offline Randus

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:32:03 am »
What is the best loadout on a Galleon?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:44:33 am »
What is the best loadout on a Galleon?

You'd want a mallet for repairs, a spanner for rebuilds, and chemical spray for extinguishing fires. Take the spyglass as a pilot item, and choose your gunner ammo according to the guns on the ship.

Offline Furrymessiah

• Salutes: 3
    • [NAF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:15:17 pm »
You'd want a mallet for repairs, a spanner for rebuilds, and chemical spray for extinguishing fires. Take the spyglass as a pilot item, and choose your gunner ammo according to the guns on the ship.

Always, BUT ALWAYS, ask your pilot first what ammo type he wants you to take. Sometimes he has other plans for you than what you're expecting, and if you take the wrong ammo, it might upset those plans.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:19:49 pm »
Yeah, Furrymessiah is right about that one. But if the captain doesn't respond, just make the best judgement you can.

Offline Furrymessiah

• Salutes: 3
    • [NAF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 07:08:41 pm »
Yeah, Furrymessiah is right about that one. But if the captain doesn't respond, just make the best judgement you can.

Personally, I find it's a good idea to learn about the various damage types each gun has, study which guns the Captain has on his ship, and coordinate accordingly. Guns that have large amounts of ammunition or fire quickly (Gatling, Hwacha, Banshee) will always benefit from reduced recoil IE Heavy Clip.
It's important to analyze your opponent's ships as well. Are they harassing/debilitating builds? Are they bringing lots of flamethrowers? Are they going for the DPS? More often than not, the captain will know which ammo types to bring for which ships, but again, once you get a working knowledge of things, you can play around a bit with your loadout.

Also, don't forget: If you step out of a gun before it finishes its reload, it will return to the default ammo. Likewise, if another player goes into that gun, it will return to default ammo. However, an AI player will NOT reset the ammo type.

Your personal default ammo loadout will be up to you, but as for me, I will always keep Charged Rounds if I'm dropping into a match sight unseen. YMMV.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:16:08 pm »
Personally I like choosing Lesmok by default, since it covers the flamer that the ship will most likely have, and it works well with most guns anyways.

Offline MayorEmanuel

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 01:33:08 pm »
Is there any situation I should use the chemical spray? It seems to be worse than the extinguisher.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 01:51:28 pm »
I'm using it most of the time, I prefer it to the extinguisher.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 02:52:06 pm »
Is there any situation I should use the chemical spray? It seems to be worse than the extinguisher.

Its still a little quirky but I have grown to like it, especially when under banshee rocket fire. It stops more flames from spreading for those precious seconds, and lets you put out fires elsewhere without the thing you just extinguished bursting back into flames as soon as you step away.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 03:52:29 pm »

Always use the chemical spray. It doesn't take much longer than the extinguisher to put fires out, and under a spamming flamer there's nothing much either can do anyways. Chemical spray's fire-limiting ability is extremely useful for keeping guns going against flamers, and that makes it more worthwhile than the extinguisher.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 11:26:30 pm »
the chem spray is better on the galleon, it keeps fire at bay long enouth for you to run to other components since its a big ship. if you took the normal extinguisher by the time you put a fire out and move on to the next component its burst in to flames again

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 04:02:31 am »
Another tip, when your captain doesn't specify ammo, I typically go for heat sinks just because they inhibit fires while the gun is loaded with them. You probably already knew that but it couldn't hurt to say anything.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 08:43:21 am »
Another tip, when your captain doesn't specify ammo, I typically go for heat sinks just because they inhibit fires while the gun is loaded with them. You probably already knew that but it couldn't hurt to say anything.

1.1.4 kind of killed heatsink. Since the chem spray can now be used to prevent fires in advance, and it takes 8 stacks of fire to disable a gun, it just isn't anywhere near as useful as it used to be.