Author Topic: Flying around workaround  (Read 17670 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Flying around workaround
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:01:19 pm »
There are some maps where many times people can just float around not meeting each other for a long time. Many times people annoyed with this just say on match chat "We're on B3, come one", although this doesn't work all the time because some people are trolling, others try to put enemy team into a trap and some just don't believe.

So my solution would be a set timer (like a minute) after which the game would show us the general direction of the enemy on the compass (and only on the compass). It can be as vague as basic direction like North, North-West etc.

Possible problem could be limiting sealth play, so perhaps after set time there could be a vote for captains. If more than 50% (or whatever) captains agree then directions would be revealed.

There are also some technical issues that need to be adressed (what if in 3v3 map 2 ships are together and other is on the other side of the map? show "the average" direction? Or show two directions for each group of ships?) but overall I think this is a good idea.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Flying around workaround
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:15:27 pm »
Here's an idea. I always thought the birds should play a minor role in indicating where ships are. After a certain time of no spots (ex 6 mins), the birds start subtly flying to and from the direction of ships. Tutorial text and the tip box in crew form could give a hint like if you're looking for the enemy watch for the birds.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:25:06 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:44:44 pm »
Ive had an idea for a while that the weather could conveniently change:
-Track a 'score' that slowly decays over time
-Spots increase the score slightly
-Hits increase the score significantly
-As the score drops further below a threshold the cloud cover becomes thinner and thinner

It could be exploitable but mostly those situations are bad already ex- one team wins by cloudless sniping or the same team wins by gradual attrition just slower because of the clouds.

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:05:32 pm »
I'd prefer not. I've waited for ambushes for great periods of time. This would also hose VIP mode.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 12:15:50 am »
Not spotting for 5 or so minutes is more than enough to position. Taking longer is wasting time and the match needs to move along.

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:23:51 am »
Guide to make the enemy come to you:
Step 1: Fly as high as you can
Step 2: Shoot medium ranged and easily spottable guns randomly into the map/sky like the Hades, some Flaks and the Banshee
Step 3: Repeat step 2 until enemy decides to attack from a predictable direction

(Optional) Step 4: Kill enemy and camp their spawn before they manage to respawn for immediate victory

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 02:21:56 pm »
spam muse to implement foghorn

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »
This is why kiting is a standard tactic for pub stomping.

You get your scout ship ahead and fly really obvious. Shooting shots wildly. You get spotted and immediately retreat back to teammate but don't quite hurry about it as you wanna reveal your ally just at the last second.

Most scrubs will chase you. In a vet/scrub team, this forces the vet teammate to commit as well. But seeing as the scrub ship is prolly about 500m ahead. Thats plenty of time to either severely hurt or kill the scrub ship to force a 2 v 1.

thus resulting in 2 easy kills. If consistently stupid. rinse and repeat.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 06:00:41 pm »
This is why kiting is a standard tactic for pub stomping.

You get your scout ship ahead and fly really obvious. Shooting shots wildly. You get spotted and immediately retreat back to teammate but don't quite hurry about it as you wanna reveal your ally just at the last second.

Most scrubs will chase you. In a vet/scrub team, this forces the vet teammate to commit as well. But seeing as the scrub ship is prolly about 500m ahead. Thats plenty of time to either severely hurt or kill the scrub ship to force a 2 v 1.

thus resulting in 2 easy kills. If consistently stupid. rinse and repeat.
no

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:25 pm »
Didn't you just make a meme accusing Grox clan of that strategy?

You guys are doing it wrong. Go alone and get focused, maneuver and buff till ally gets there, kill everyone. It works so blame the ally.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:54:58 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 07:59:47 pm »
Didn't you just make a meme accusing Grox clan of that strategy?

You guys are doing it wrong. Go alone and get focused, maneuver and buff till ally gets there, kill everyone. It works so blame the ally.

No because I only get close enough to be seen.

Not be actually shot. A Grox will fly right in the face of a enemy formation to get chewed out and spat out.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 08:06:24 pm »
Mine ally, continue to mine ally, realise both enemy ships are watching you mine kill ally...

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 08:20:30 pm »
Mine ally, continue to mine ally, realise both enemy ships are watching you mine kill ally...

>fly a munker
>score is 3:2 against your team
>you got 3 kills
>2 of them were ally kills
>9/11, would kill allies again

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 08:30:45 pm »
Ear trumpets would help greatly in the area of long time no-spots. It is an extra tool to consider, but allows one crew member to gradually tune into the location of an enemy.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 08:09:08 pm »
Ear trumpets would help greatly in the area of long time no-spots. It is an extra tool to consider, but allows one crew member to gradually tune into the location of an enemy.

errr... there's way too much noise pollution for that to work.

People nag about the range finder's uselessness (because it is seeing as the map screen does the job well enough) but lore wise it makes sense to exist.