Author Topic: Squid = 0g  (Read 11324 times)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Squid = 0g
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:19:12 am »
Vertical Acceleration: 9.8 m/s²

Aka, a squid going down as fast as possible should create a feeling of 0g.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
Re: Squid = 0g
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:37 am »
I never noticed this before, but shouldn't ALL the ships drop at the same speed?  The only thing keeping them up is the balloon, if it's deflated then they'll drop like a rock.  There's no up or down engines, it's just a matter of balloon capacity to bring the ship up.  It shouldn't be physically possible for the squid to drop faster than any other falling object (at least without leaving its crew behind who aren't going to go towards the earth any faster without being strapped down) because there's nothing there to speed up gravity.

I can't help but imagine people using chute vents are just being slammed against their own balloons and rolling off the sides as their ship defies physics to crash into the ground.

Offline ATeddyBear

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 12
    • [HRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:24:14 am »
Gravity's effects on objects is constant in a vacuum. So for example, If your drop a bowling ball and a piece of paper they would hit the ground at the same time assuming all other variables were the same.

Aerodyamic resistance/drag is what makes objects fall faster or slower. For a Squid I would assume it would have the most aerodynamic profile of all the ships in the game. It is built for speed after all. This would give it the least amount of air resistance resulting in it falling the fastest. 

In regards to feeling weightless I would assume you would get a similar feeling as if you were riding a roller coaster.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:39:02 pm by ATeddyBear »

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:48:03 am »
Gravity's effects on objects is constant in a vacuum. So for example, If your drop a bowling ball and a piece of paper they would hit the ground at the same time assuming all other variables were the same.

Aerodyamic resistance/drag is what makes objects fall faster or slower. For a Squid I would assume it would have this most aerodynamic profile of all the ships in the game. It is built for speed after all. This would give it the least amount of air resistance resulting in it falling the fastest. 

In regards to feeling weightless I would assume you would get a similar feeling as if you were riding a roller coaster.

I don't know a Squid's terminal velocity, but I think it would be higher than a human, so a squid going down for too long would mean you would be flung off.

Offline ATeddyBear

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 12
    • [HRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:39 am »
But your on the Squid. You have no drag, in theory, so you will always be falling at the same speed as the Squid.

Here is a example to try out at home. Take a piece of paper and a book that is larger then the piece of paper then drop them both. The book hits the floor first. Then set the piece of paper on top of the book so none of the paper is hanging off the edge of the book. Drop them. Both the paper and the book will hit the ground at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:13:25 am by ATeddyBear »

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:03:05 pm »
But your on the Squid. You have no drag, in theory, so you will always be falling at the same speed as the Squid.

Here is a example to try out at home. Take a piece of paper and a book that is larger then the piece of paper then drop them both. The book hits the floor first. Then set the piece of paper on top of the book so none of the paper is hanging off the edge of the book. Drop them. Both the paper and the book will hit the ground at the same time.

That's true, if you were in the middle of the squid. (It would also create a slight vacuum, right?) But if you went to the side of the squid you would get flung off.

Offline luchelibre

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:06:13 pm »
I don't know a Squid's terminal velocity, but I think it would be higher than a human, so a squid going down for too long would mean you would be flung off.

No, the Squid has a much greater surface area for air resistance, so its terminal velocity will be much lower. A human will slice through the air like a knife (relatively). This is also why a falcon falls at 200mph while a human falls at about 125-150mph.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 01:26:01 am »
we must also take into account the theory that this is indeed a game, where people with absolutely no resources have managed to make 150,000 pound hunks of scrap metal fly and shoot guns at each other

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 09:42:32 pm »
we must also take into account the theory that this is indeed a game, where people with absolutely no resources have managed to make 150,000 pound hunks of scrap metal fly and shoot guns at each other

It's one thing to accept that airships aren't a real thing because of a multitude of engineering problems.  The balloons are way too small relative to the hulls they're carrying.  The rigging is suspiciously unguarded despite the fact that any of the cables snapping could dump the whole crew overboard.  The ships don't look like they can actually land, so a constant supply of hot air is needed just to dock and get repaired.  The crew would be in constant fear of running into birds, who would slap into their faces at lethal speeds and seriously damage the ship.  IRL we gave up on the idea of airships for a reason, but we hand wave it so we can have useless exposed gears turning and powering nothing.

It's another to defy the common man's understanding of gravity and momentum.  We can accept that Batman has some fairly impossible technology, but just silly when he's in space without at least a helmet.

No, the Squid has a much greater surface area for air resistance, so its terminal velocity will be much lower. A human will slice through the air like a knife (relatively). This is also why a falcon falls at 200mph while a human falls at about 125-150mph.

Right, but this squid is falling faster than what's possible with just the force of gravity, it looks like a lifeboat which is designed to not be aerodynamic so as to float easier.  It behaves like there's an invisible engine on top that's pushing it down so damn fast beyond its terminal velocity, that should be flinging people off like fleas in a flea bath.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:44:38 pm by Helmic »

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 10:18:28 pm »
Also, with chute vent, it falls faster than gravity. Rockets pushing it down?

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 10:23:51 pm »
And don't forget how everyone somehow survives a ship falling to the ground.  Yeah, the ship might magically keep together but it's like an elevator whose cable just snapped, everyone inside is going to go splat just the same.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »
Also going high speeds that high up in the air would be
1.Freezing Cold
2.Your ears would always be popping .-.
3.So windy you couldn't hear each other speak (Personal experience, you'll know if you've ever been on a boat before)

but it is of course, a game, so, I'll shut up now

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 10:52:29 pm »
But is okay, because we can train astronauts there.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:49:27 pm »
Hey now we gave up on balloon technology because of a slight explosion that might have involved the Hindenburg. Balloons can actually be more efficient than a jumbo jet when you're talking about fuel consumption and sustainability. Some pioneering companies have actually started re-exploring balloons for transatlantic flights.

As to the chute vent forcing the squid down faster than gravity..... Here comes some serious rationalization gymnastics.

The balloon is maintained by a type of generator that is constantly chugging away, so when you activate chute vent it sends this generator into overdrive and the air is forced straight out the top of the balloon.
OR
When you use chute vent something constricts the balloon and forces all the air/gas out of the balloon causing extra thrust in the downward direction.
OR
A combination of the two.