Author Topic: Recommended Movies, Series, Shows and Anime  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Recommended Movies, Series, Shows and Anime
« on: September 15, 2015, 10:03:27 pm »
So I did a quick search and except for some anime threads here and there, there wasn't much about this topic.

Recommend movies, series, shows and anime - or pretty much anything else that entertained you enough to recommend to others.
Provide a short description of the recommendation containing details such as the genre, release years and a short description of the plot - or pretty much anything else you would like to share.

TRY TO KEEP THE THREAD SPOILER FREE PLEASE!

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Movies, Series, Shows and Anime
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 10:04:03 pm »
I'll start by giving some on the fly:

Movies:

Se7en(1995), Thriller - A well-made and elaborate movie about two detectives hunting a serial killer.

Fight Club(1999), Drama - A story of two men forming and underground fight club. Can't say much without spoilers.

The Prestige(2006), Drama, Mystery - Two magicians rival each other in attempt to make the ultimate stage illusion.

Three Kings(1999), Action, Comedy - A satire about the Persian Gulf War.

Saving Private Ryan(1998), Action, Drama, War - After the landing at Normandy a group of soldiers goes on a mission behind enemy lines to save a soldier.(Cried like a newborn baby.)

The X-Men movie series - because X-Men. and explosions.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy(2001-2003), Adventure, Fantasy - waaaay too much stuff happens here for me to sum up. Basically epic quest, fantasy world, forces of evil type-stuff.

Saw(2004-2010), Horror, Thriller - A series of movies following Jigsaw, a murderer that likes to "play games" with people that usually lead to their death or a lot of pain and suffering.(only if you like gory horror movies.)(The early ones were better in my opinion.)

TV Shows:

Game of Thrones - Based on George Martin's series of books set in a fantasy world, complete with blood, sex and dragons(!).
(I don't watch much TV)

Anime:

Death Note(2003-2006), Psychological Thriller, Supernatural - A student finds the book of a god of death, which grants him the ability to kill people simply by writing down their name in the book.(I liked the first season more than the second one)

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion(2006-2007), Alternate history, Drama, Mecha - A former prince receives a power called Geass that using it he strives to obliterate the supreme monarch legion of the empire Britannia.

Steins;Gate(2011), Science Fiction, Mystery, Romance - A scientist accidentally invents a device that allows to send text messages to the past.

Also, I am hesitant to recommend No Game No Life until they actually make that second season :/

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 10:54:45 pm »
I like it
Here's a few

Children of Men (2006) - set in the near future where humans have lost the ability to reproduce. Great story with amazing single-shot sequences. Thriller drama 92% Rotten Tomatoes score

Birdman (2014) - a former superhero actor and his struggle starting a Broadway career. The best movie of 2014, so good I watched it again the next day. Comedy drama 92% Rotten Tomatoes

Rick and Morty - currently season 2 on Comedy Central. Animated show of the adventures of a family and mad scientist grandpa. Witty and wacky, it's the best cartoon I know (besides South Park).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:56:44 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 03:35:24 am »
Ohh, gonna drop these here

Movies:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) Mystery, Thriller, Drama - In the depths of cold war Britain, the conspiracy of a Mole within British Intelligence causes a retired spy to conduct a secret investigation.
(Probably the best Book adaptation I've ever experienced. Its subtle tone as well as sketchy characters practically make this film drip with atmosphere. I'm always re-watching this film and I always learn something new every time. It gets kinda confusing but this film has like every good actor and they do a stellar job.)

Chinatown (1974) Mystery, Thriller, Drama - In Los Angeles, a private investigator tries to uncover the mysteries behind the death of the Chief Engineer of the construction of a new Water reservoir.
(This is a film that just grabs my attention every time with its scary, uncomfortable atmosphere. This is another film that I'm always re-watching and I just can't take my eyes off it. This is probably largely due to the performance of Jack Nicholson who steals the show in every moment he's in as well as the beautiful, almost fairy-tale like soundtrack.)

Sin City (2005) Action, Thriller - Three separate story-lines containing larger-than-life characters that all describe the exciting/ dangerous world of Sin City.
(I watch this film to have a good time and it ticks all of my boxes. Stylized atmosphere, exaggerated comic-booky performances, exciting/quirky tone, and fast/snappy pacing. Everything I'm looking for in an action movie.)

Anime:

Spice and Wolf (2006) Drama, Romance - A traveling Peddler one day meets a pagan wolf god, together they go on a journey to find the North.
(I don't know if all anime is like this but I thought that this was a wonderfully simple show. The melo/ muted tone of this Medieval world makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The romance has enough quirk on both sides to make the characters lovable. I would say that I didn't like the moments it fell into economical banter mainly because it reminded me of how much I hate how Economics seems to over-complicate things.)