Author Topic: To The Movies!  (Read 12676 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
To The Movies!
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:31:50 pm »
So besides GOIO, which games do you think would make awesome movies? Don't pick one that has already been done, unless you write an essay along with it about how Uwe Boll or Paul WS Anderson deserve to be stranded on some tiny little island the size of a VW, never to return or make movies again.

Me, I've been really thinking for some time that Metal Slug would make a great movie series. Granted it keeps in tact that humor and randomness of the games. If it went all serious, it would be just terrible. Kinda make it in a Sky Captain style where it has a little campy feel to it but is endearing.

Why it would work is because the canon is flexible. Fans wouldn't get pissy over it if Hollywood decided to go somewhere else with. As long as the base characters were in tact, you'd have freedom to take any of the plot ideas from the games (which get all sorts of bizarre), and make something unique.

Probably the biggest failing of all the game based movies has been the departure from the original story lines. Directors (Anderson) deciding to completely make their own story based on the original, yet fans really wanting to see the story they know and love in a live action. Metal Slug can avoid this pitfall. As long as Morden is involved in it in someway, it'll succeed.

The only way it would really fail is if the script tried to be too much like everyone else. Which is a problem with hollywood right now. They don't churn out a lot of original scripts because they don't want to risk what might not sell. Metal Slug would be a potentially risky venture. While it could really work well, if it pulled a Spiderman and kept killing off all the villains (which don't really die in the games), it would fail. But hey, it has a lore with zombies, aliens, mummies, and just about any thing you could think up so they could be killed off and cloned and it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:33:45 pm by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Re: To The Movies!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 06:37:27 pm »
YES

SO MUCH YES

I grew up with the Metal Slug games and would love to see a movie, preferable full of gratuitous fanservice shots of the tank.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:13:32 pm »
Space Engineers, it would be like a cross over of cast away and lost on space (but with less time travel and mutation and Matt Le Blanc.) but that could just be because I've been playing it...

Also the Elder Scrolls series ignoring ESO... Good potential for a fairy tale.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:58:54 pm »
Any S.T.A.L.K.E.R game
Papers, Please (Jorji Costava is the best)
Star Wars: Republic Commando (I want a remake of this game so bad...)
All Witcher games (there was a polish movie based on books but PFFFFFFFFF is the most positive thing I can say about it)
Spec Ops: The Line

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:50:14 am »
Any S.T.A.L.K.E.R game
All Witcher games (there was a polish movie based on books but PFFFFFFFFF is the most positive thing I can say about it)

I thought the Polish version was a fan fic when I saw it... Butnyes the Witcher would be amazing given good cast and costume design. I am waiting on delivery of the book.funnily enough. :)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 02:36:04 pm »
Any S.T.A.L.K.E.R game

I thought the Polish version was a fan fic when I saw it... Butnyes the Witcher would be amazing given good cast and costume design. I am waiting on delivery of the book.funnily enough. :)

OH FUCK ME WITH A TEN FOOT LONG POLE

OH MY GOD

DYING
DYING
DYYYYYYING XD

No. It was NOT a fan fic. That's the fuckin worst thing about it.

About the topic.
I'd love to see... maybe not a film, more a TV series, even if short... based on Arcanum Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura, Planescape: Torment and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Though I feel it would be nigh to impossible to film them right...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:43:31 pm by Schwalbe »

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 06:10:15 pm »
I'd like to see a live action of Panzer Dragoon.

CG technology is finally to a point where it would make it really good. There was an anime that was made that was very so-so.

Trouble is, I think Hollywood would ruin it by overly westernizing the movie. Probably get some bleached blonde bimbo as the love interest and Transformer it. For Panzer Dragoon to remain true to it's roots and lore, it would need to be done by an independent studio. One which can't afford the bimbos and has to rely on newer actors.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 06:51:31 pm »
Bastion - I still cry at the last level.. every time.. I've never even seen the 2nd ending because I don't have it in my heart to not save Zulf :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlfUcnSbKDA

BibleThump, a true masterpiece.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 06:58:54 pm »
Crimson Skies.

It's got everything to make for an interesting crime adventure thriller. We've got airships, sky pirates, German Scientists, a culture heavily inspired by 1930's America because it is 1930's America. It'd be a movie in the same vein as Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow which I quite enjoyed.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 07:03:07 pm »
Bastion - I still cry at the last level.. every time.. I've never even seen the 2nd ending because I don't have it in my heart to not save Zulf :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlfUcnSbKDA

BibleThump, a true masterpiece.

Just watch it instead, it's what I did with the Bioshock games.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 12:58:41 am »
See I'd love Crimson Skies too but I don't think Hollywood could do it without ticking off all the fans. The lore in CS is too set in stone which means Hollywood would decide they have to reinvent it. Then it would be horrid.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 06:25:00 am »
You see Gilder, the problem is: Hollywood would screw any of our propositions, cause they wouldn't hear all the fans crying over all of the MONEY...

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 06:10:31 pm »
Well for sure the ones that have an established canon. Ones that are inflexible to new ideas.

Why Metal Slug would probably be one of the best that they'd have to really screw up to cause it to fail. There is canon but the series is flexible.

Crimson Skies would work only if Nathan Zachary's character is left in tact and they didn't really try to change the entire world. Making a side story based on the world would work. But reinventing it, nah. Trouble is that is what guys like Anderson and Boll try to do.

I'm both glad and sad that Halo was canceled. Glad because it would likely bomb but sad because it could really be a good movie series. Trouble with that was, it was a victim of it's own success. Studios clearly wanted to go off on a tangent away from the game's lore, but then realized if they did that they'd be royally shooting themselves in the foot. They don't think they can follow the original lore and be a success with it. "People already played that, they want something new!" is the mindset. Then when they cater to that, they wonder why the movie bombed and people are mad it wasn't true to the game's lore.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 04:23:43 am »
What I'd love to see but I just know Hollywood would ruin it completely...

This one has some potential since the story itself is mostly only really set in stone around Nightmare/Siegfried. So there is flexibility in the other characters. But come on, you'd have undead pirates, samurai, and monsters battling it out over two swords of power.

If it was made in the 80s during the Conan fantasy era, it would have likely been fantastic. Soul Calibur would have fit right into that and likely been approved by studios who wanted to ride the success of Conan. Probably would have cast Arnold as Nightmare/Siegfried too.

Sadly today...I think the movie would be just like the games have gotten. 5 minutes of fighting, 1:55 minutes of Ivy fan service. It would also likely be done by a Japan studio who would butcher it as bad as they butchered the Attack on Titan movie. If the West did it, it would probably turn into baywatch with swords depending on what director got it.