Author Topic: Ship Building for Dummies  (Read 13896 times)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Ship Building for Dummies
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:38:37 pm »
One of the most interesting aspects of Guns of Icarus is the rich variety ship builds. There are a lot of viable weapon combinations that can be used and need to be played entirely differently. However randomly mixing guns will barely ever yield an acceptable build. Hence I'd like to provide some guidelines how to find good ship-loadouts.

Use guns with a similar effective Range!
What's better than guns?- right more guns! Most ships in GoI have got a Layout which allows a relatively easy establishment of a bifecta or even trifecta (that's the GoIO terminologie for bringing two or three weapons in a gun arc which allows them to shoot at the same target). Make sure that your guns can actually shoot at the same target at the same time. In order to do so, your weapons need to have a similar effective range which can be looked up in the table below:

(++) Ideal range for the weapon, (+) The weapon can be used efficiently but is somehow restricted to operate like it should (e.g. special ammunition may be needed, or it's hard to aim with the weapon), (-) the weapon can operate in this range, but it's clearly not at home. It's not recommended to avoid this range with this weapon (special ammunition might be required, dps might be reduced, aiming might be very hard, etc), (--) The weapon can't operate (efficiently) at this range.

Know your guns!
Guns are usually specialized on taking out a specific set of components. Experience is probably the best way to find out how a gun can be used for what properly. Use the gun and toy around with it! Try different ammo types, pair it with different weapons and see how it handles what tasks. However this process takes time and it's really not necessary to find out that some builds can't work out by dieing over and over again. So here's a Chart which rates the efficiency of guns at taking out specific components. It can't really substitute ingame-experience, but it's something that can get you started:

Performance of guns against components: (++)excellent - get the job done alone in a short time; (+) decent - can do the job alone but needs a long time to do so. Better pair it up with an additional damage-source of this type if you want to do the job properly; (o) poor - the damage can be out-repaired by an engineer. Still it might make sense to point the gun into the general direction of this component if you can still hit your main target while doing so; (-) very poor - if you've got anything better to do, don't shoot your gun at this target. reloading your gun or just waiting for a better target are better things to do in most situations; (--) useless - the gun either can't inflict any damage on this component or it can be ignored. Point it at something else or leave it alone!

For further information regarding specific guns, take a look at this thread!

Think of a Strategy!
The game starts in the match lobby. Take a look at your enemies build and discuss with your co-captain how to counter it. On death match your goal is to destroy the enemy ships more often than they do. To kill ships you need to get rid of their hull and then inflict damage on their permanent hull. Whether you do so straight forward with a piercing dmg + explosive damage weapon-pair or if you want to pop your enemies balloon to crash them into ground is up to you. You could also choose a painful and prolonged disabler-death for your foes if you're a meanie. Just make sure to discuss your strategy and build with your ally. Your builds need to fit together and should synergyze well together.
As a rule of thumb: If you and your team mate can point and shoot weapons at your enemy at the same time which sum up a total of 3-5 plus-signs against the Armor and 3-4 plus-signs against the hull if looked up in the Gun-Performance table, your setup is likely viable. Remember the arcs of the guns and their effective range!
In addition to keeping an eye on a sufficient total team-killing power, you might also want to be able to kill an enemy on your own in a 1vs1 situation, as Allies have the bad habit to die occasionally. In order to do so you need roughly 2 plus-signs in armor and hull damage each. Alternatively, if you fly a relatively quick ship (squid, goldie, pyra) you could likely just run away from your enemies and rejoin your ally once he respawns.
Remarks regarding the weapon "Terrain (crash)": Your enemies will likely crash into the ground or collide with terrain, if your team uses a balloon-popper-heavy loadout (either 3 or more plus-signs against balloons in the performance chart or if one of you brings a lumberjack or heavy carronade as a main weapon). Crashes with Terrain help to get rid of your enemies hull-armor and to finish the permanent hull as well. Feel free to add this "weapon" to your calculation if you fly a balloon-popper build!
Remarks regarding the weapon "Ship (rams)": if you fly a close range pyramideon or a close range goldfish you can harrass your enemies by poking them around during your engagements, inflicting damage to the component you hit. If this fits your play style, feel free to add this "weapon" to your calculation. Piloting tip: use moonshine or kerosene to ram your enemies! Not only do these increase the velocity of your ship (and hence the impact damage of your rams), but it also prevents your ship from bouncing out of your gun-arcs during the rams due to the reduced angular drag perk of these steering tools.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:42:23 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Building for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:16:11 pm »
For me the Hades is much more of a o against guns than --. It can light fires on guns on AoE, which can severely impact the DPS of whatever's on the receiving end.

Really great guide overall though. This is a far better reference than the gun stats chart.

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »
Thanks!
I agree with you on the Hades efficiency on guns. I didn't have the 40% AoE fire chance of the hades in mind when I created that table. I might update it later - I'm not entirely happy with it anyway. E.g I feel uncomfortable with putting weapons like the banshee on par with hull-killers like the mortar or the heavy flak which clearly declass it. Maybe I'll add a +++ rating for those.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:21:21 pm »
...Harpoon isn't useless, it's a tactical gun, and very situational. (Like dragging an enemy with their hull down straight towards your moonshining pyramidion)

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »
this guide has been updated, extended and is now integrated as a guide section (Shiploadouts) in the Muse in Arms Guide.

...Harpoon isn't useless, it's a tactical gun, and very situational. (Like dragging an enemy with their hull down straight towards your moonshining pyramidion)
Only the damage-output of the guns is reflected by the chart. Utility functionality is not included.

Offline Neithrantulre

• Salutes: 8
    • [KNEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:58:31 pm »
I made a spreadsheet that shows damage to each component per shot to each component (calculated by primary + secondary damage) and DPS to each component (including reload). Also color coded them my effectiveness and fire arc. I did not yet add damage values for utility guns, and I did not consider fire chance, so Hades Banshee and Dragonsbreath are more effective than listed.

I use this to build ships. It's interesting and easy to see in this graph that the light carronade actually does more overall armor damage per second than the Mercury. Several other non-intuitive thing have been utilised from this graph to make interesting and useful ships.

Keep in mind that the Mobula lower deck guns are offset by 35 degrees and the side guns by 45. The Spire side guns seem to be at 45.

I hope this is useful to someone. Tell me if there is anything incorrect or if the base assumptions behind using a chart like this are misleading.