Author Topic: AI spots  (Read 21294 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
AI spots
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:00 am »
Basically when a captain uses captain spot.

AI will lock spyglasses on it and spot it.

Not asking for someting OP like AI spotting like spyglass aimbots. They spot when the captain orders them to spot/target it.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Re: AI spots
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:17:14 am »
Good idea, tying it to the captain spot sidesteps the aimbot issue rather neatly.

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:20:09 am »
Good idea, tying it to the captain spot sidesteps the aimbot issue rather neatly.
Also, if a ship cannot be captain spotted the AI should not be able to fire on it through a cloud. Surely there's a way to tie the parameters in which a ship can be spotted to those in which the AI can fire?

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 10:56:00 am »
Also, if a ship cannot be captain spotted the AI should not be able to fire on it through a cloud. Surely there's a way to tie the parameters in which a ship can be spotted to those in which the AI can fire?

AI have been nerfed enough in the shooting department.

AI cannot snipe or even shoot mid range for crap now. As is I can only use gat mortar builds because thats all they can actually handle now.

even if they aimbot a target from afar (by far I mean 400-500m since thats their max detection range). they will MISS because they suck at shooting.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 11:18:30 am »

AI cannot snipe or even shoot mid range for crap now. As is I can only use gat mortar builds because thats all they can actually handle now.

even if they aimbot a target from afar (by far I mean 400-500m since thats their max detection range). they will MISS because they suck at shooting.
I suppose you're right, but I'm not fan of the apparent upside of them is the ability to psychically predict a sneak attack and ruin planned ambushes.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 11:23:00 am »
I suppose you're right, but I'm not fan of the apparent upside of them is the ability to psychically predict a sneak attack and ruin planned ambushes.

The point is they only spot what the captain uses the captain target (B) command. If captain can target you can spot.

Not asking for someting OP like AI spotting like spyglass aimbots. They spot when the captain orders them to spot/target it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:26:56 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 11:45:10 am »

The point is they only spot what the captain uses the captain target (B) command. If captain can target you can spot.

I thought that was only in reference to their ability to mark ships. Actually firing the weapons when the ship should not be visible is bull IMO.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 12:04:02 pm »
Humans can shoot ships behind clouds that aren't visible, especially when spotted. Spots don't affect AI so shooting non-visible ships is fair, especially due to the handicap.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:07:38 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 12:12:16 pm »
Humans can shoot ships behind clouds that aren't visible, especially when spotted. Spots don't affect AI so shooting non-visible ships is fair, especially due to the handicap.
Yes, but humans cannot fire accurately into a cloud where an ambush in waiting is without first being tipped off to that ship's presence. The AI can. Even with the nerf that the AI bring to a ship, stuff like that irks me.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 12:18:31 pm »
If AI were unable to shoot a ship spotted behind a cloud but technically not visible it would be a bad handicap. AI radar alerts both ships to their presence. It's perfectly reasonable.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 12:48:01 pm »
If AI were unable to shoot a ship spotted behind a cloud but technically not visible it would be a bad handicap. AI radar alerts both ships to their presence. It's perfectly reasonable.
I'm talking about an unspotted ship being fired upon too early, before any human player would possibly know it was there.

Sorta like this:

Ship is in cloud/unspotted: AI cannot fire.
Ship is in cloud/spotted: AI can fire.
Ship is out of cloud/unspotted: AI can fire.
Ship is out of cloud/spotted: AI can fire.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 01:20:59 pm »
And if an unspotted ship moves into a cloud the AI would cease fire whereas a human would keep following the tracers. AI radar doesn't break balance and is a useful feature, especially if both teams have AI. It's simpler and more balanced to have AI always shot.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 01:32:16 pm »
And if an unspotted ship moves into a cloud the AI would cease fire whereas a human would keep following the tracers. AI radar doesn't break balance and is a useful feature, especially if both teams have AI. It's simpler and more balanced to have AI always shot.
You got me there, but it still feels like it's a toss up between two negatives. I know muse has no interest in making anything remotely complex about AI behaviour, they stated that they should never stand to be a replacement for humans, but sometimes I feel that it also means they'll never program them with more than a basic level of similarity to human players. In a perfect world, AI's would retain knowledge of unspotted enemies that flee into clouds as long as hits on them are consistent. Once they are not, the AI forgets them. That'd probably take a little more coding than just "if they're within this distance, shoot at them". Additionally, enemy weapons fire would trigger an AI response too, but that won't happen either because again, no time to update something that, if the game is being played as it is meant to be, shouldn't even be part of it.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 01:38:25 pm »
You got me there, but it still feels like it's a toss up between two negatives. I know muse has no interest in making anything remotely complex about AI behaviour, they stated that they should never stand to be a replacement for humans, but sometimes I feel that it also means they'll never program them with more than a basic level of similarity to human players. In a perfect world, AI's would retain knowledge of unspotted enemies that flee into clouds as long as hits on them are consistent. Once they are not, the AI forgets them. That'd probably take a little more coding than just "if they're within this distance, shoot at them". Additionally, enemy weapons fire would trigger an AI response too, but that won't happen either because again, no time to update something that, if the game is being played as it is meant to be, shouldn't even be part of it.

To be fair, if the AI reacted like that, they'd have better reactions than many pub match crews. 8)

I understand the point that AI shoot at ships that can't  be seen is a pain in the arse, but equally, chem spray and buffs are very often visible through clouds, which they should not be, there's a lot of minor details we sometimes have to dismiss for our own sanity.

On topic: Love the idea! It's painful enough having AI on a ship, but adding this to the "gunner" coded AI would be great. This way if you have one human filling the ship, you have to rely on the human. :)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 01:57:41 pm »

I've never seen a successful ambush that's so slow that the few seconds of being shot stops it dead in its tracks.

Ambushes involve kero, ram and losing of arcs and completely out of control of ambushee to counter unless countered by setting up their own trap (common AI clan tactic is something we like to call tag eight).
By the time a target has reached 500m of you, the ambush is already in motion.

and if that "ambush" is in direct arcs of the ship's primary guns (AI dont shoot targets not in arc), then that my boy is called an idiot calling his suicide an "ambush."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:08:09 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »