Author Topic: New Lobby system makes the game feel dead  (Read 8426 times)

Offline Al Darkheart

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
New Lobby system makes the game feel dead
« on: September 10, 2015, 06:13:47 am »
Returning player here.

When I fired up GoIO again I looked for 30minutes for the old game list, apparently all we have now is that huge "Play" button that puts you in some sort of queue. Chat was empty, there is no indication how many, if any, other people are online (well, I got response to my question about the lobby, so at least one other player was on) and it's now impossible to simply change role to get a game going (since you can't know what some match is missing) or pick a game based on "known faces" (from previous games), since, well no games to be seen.

I always found that watching the games in the lobby made the game feel "alive", sure the lobby had its problems but a huge chunk of them would have been solved (at least from a player point of view) by remembering the filters between games/sessions.

I also can't find any other information about this change, if there was any resistance to it then I can't find it, or maybe all regulars had already stopped playing PUGs anyway so they don't care or maybe this is actually awesome for most. But personally, as a returning casual player, I find this change to be really off putting, sorry.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: New Lobby system makes the game feel dead
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 07:03:43 am »
There was a big.resistance to it, many vets spoke up.against Match Maker, and some still do.

Some tips that may help you:
Amount of players online is visible in the bottom left of the screen "X" players online will be visible.

If you have friends on your friends list then click the tab "Custom games" and you will see a smalllobby browser which shows friends online.

If the class you're looking to play is not needed and you'd have more luck changing class, Match Maker will promt you to do this after a certain amount of time in the queue, so I guess you didn't have to queue too long before you got a lobby :)

Their are many pros and cons to the old lobby system and the new match maker, but wait time has been hugely, reduced now and lobbies of Icarus is a thing of the past.

There were also changes to the level system, now getting achievements speeds up leveling, but is not a necessity to do, which means less achievement hunters throwing teamwork for the sake of levels, but now levels are by.absolutely no way to.judge a players skill.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 07:14:16 am »
wait time has been hugely, reduced now and lobbies of Icarus is a thing of the past.
This is not true. Lobbies of icarus just happens AFTER the queue.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:44:02 am »
wait time has been hugely, reduced now and lobbies of Icarus is a thing of the past.
This is not true. Lobbies of icarus just happens AFTER the queue.

Only in lobbies with vets, but every pub match, idiots ready up before the map.vote ends while they have double gunner ships... Lobbies of Icarus lobbies are rare.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:33:16 am »
My only complaint is that Mine Madness matches never happen anymore....... That's what helped make Mondays bearable.....

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 09:13:12 am »
Wait time has been significantly reduced. I recommend beefing up your friends list and using that to find matches. If you don't want to queue create a custom lobby and invite to MM. It should immediately fill up with anyone waiting in queue. Stacked lobbies and crew forms take longer to match.

MM was a turn off to most when it first came out, but it has undergone many fixes and is the best thing to happen to the game. Statistically lobbies are more balanced with less wait time. You can create custom lobbies not connected to MM so the system is optional.

Recommended loadouts are the best thing ever.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:25:34 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:29 am »
Feel free to give me an in game add, I rarely of ever hit that play button and find crews and lobbies via my friends list! So joining on me will often give a fun match!

Offline Al Darkheart

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 12:30:25 pm »
I must have been unlucky first few times I had a 10min+ wait (before I bailed), gave it another go and it was short (nearly instant) and once a bunch of games are going it's like old times. Still, I found the old way much more inviting, if that makes any sense.

I kind of doubt this is much faster than the old way though, unless things got really bad in the period where I wasn't playing, of course... But people still jump ship once the match has been made extending the time before you actually get to play etc. etc. Seems pretty samey to me, but that might be the rose coloured goggles of memory speaking.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:31:58 pm by Al Darkheart »

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 12:43:59 pm »
If population drops below 100 it shows all lobbies. Friend everyone who communicates so you can see where they're playing. Creating a custom lobby and clicking Recruit from Queue is often the fastest way to get a lobby as captain.

Stamina is a thing now so press shift to use it. As engi it's often best for running to your gun, broken component, or saving a critical component from dying (or fire). As gunner you reload faster and get extended arcs. Gunner stamina refills slowly so don't waste it during reloads and end up needing it for arcs. Pilot stamina is awesome and is best used to supplement tools.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:49:43 pm by BlackenedPies »