Author Topic: Competitive Concept - Single Ship Teams  (Read 16075 times)

Offline Dryykon

• Salutes: 10
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Concept - Single Ship Teams
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 05:37:55 pm »
This would basically make the tournament blind pick, but the benefits could be very fun, building ships which can cope in various maps and against multiple opponent loadouts, which chances are means less meta and more disable (control) or reactive (mix of kill and disable) builds and play styles. :)

Given, teams could conspire with each other because they would be able to see who their next teammate would be. I'm not saying people would, but it would be quite easy to.

Perhaps the table/scoreboard should be released after the team's next ship selections... but that's a short amount of time, and not all team leaders may respond with next week/round's ship. Plus, figuring out the scores wouldn't be that difficult, it would just be time consuming. A solution is giving the table itself a degree of randomness in picking teammates.

Substitutions are something that comes up a lot.

Something I've seen work in other tournaments is this (language adapted for GOIO):

Each ship/team will have an unlimited roster. Anyone currently in that roster may play on that team's ship. Anyone on a different roster may not join that ship, even if they are of the same clan. A player not in any roster may play for any team at any time, however, must be added to the roster after doing so. The Ref should take a screenshot of players in the server at the beginning of a match in order to determine who is on a roster and who isn't. After a match starts, no subs are allowed mid game, even in the case of disconnect.

Teams will have unlimited "adds" for two weeks. After that, they may add 2 people to their roster per week. Teams always have unlimited removals. A team captain or the player themselves may ask for removal.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:41:44 pm by Dryykon »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 11:29:13 am »
This would basically make the tournament blind pick, but the benefits could be very fun, building ships which can cope in various maps and against multiple opponent loadouts, which chances are means less meta and more disable (control) or reactive (mix of kill and disable) builds and play styles. :)

Given, teams could conspire with each other because they would be able to see who their next teammate would be. I'm not saying people would, but it would be quite easy to.

I think it is expected of teams to "conspire" with their team mates as much as possible, but considering the brackets for a single ship event would be done after sign ups, I think it would be very hard to abuse the sort of system where single ships sign up and PM their build..

Unless I am missing your point?...

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 01:08:06 pm »
I think it's encouraged for paired teams to work together and communicate as much as possible with each other before their matches. Or are you talking about say a clan or group or friends who are on separate teams working together (who aren't paired up)? While it's possible, I don't think it's that easy or beneficial. You can't be too obvious about it, or the refs/organizers are going to catch on and take action (Such as getting paired with a team you want to lose, so you just charge straight at the enemy alone over and over again. But do more practical things in matches you want to win). Then you can't really pick out who your next opponent or team mate is going to be, even if you try to win or lose. You can't control the other teams and with how the point system is structured, it's difficult to predict, especially for real teams.

For blindpicking, I've been trying to think of a way to get this in without it being a hassle for those involved. My original thought was to have teams enter in at roughly the same time, and not be able to change their ships once they enter. In this manner, they don't have to take extra steps to communicate with the ref each and every week. This has it's own problems, in that the ref has a very short time to go around and confirm ships and gun positions and make sure those don't change, which is a lot of pressure on them. Then it's also extremely difficult to get each team in at roughly the same time, even if it's just the pilots. Players have a habit of trying to get in as soon as possible. Trying to control that would be like herding cats.

We could have teams submit their ships to an individual prior to their matches. They would need to have time work it out with their ally, so the deadline would be probably be a Wednesday or even up to Friday. Then that person has to communicate that information to all the refs of all the matches. There's a bit less stress on the refs, but then there's a lot more on the teams. Since they have a limited time to work together, pick their ships, and submit them. And they'd have to do that each and every week, which would be a straight up pain. The person receiving all the build information would have to keep it all organized and distribute it to all the individual refs, which can be a lot of work for them.

What can also be done is having teams submit their builds by a deadline, then having that information publicly displayed. All team ships are currently locked in, but they'll know what their enemy is bringing and teams won't have to scramble last second to come up with a strategy. They still can't change their builds, but even if they feel hard countered, they have the potential to come up with a game plan.

I don't really like having to force people each and every week to submit their ship choices, since that feels like a significant use of their time they could be doing other things (such as practicing their builds to see what works and what doesn't), but if we want a blind pick system in, it's something that might have to be done. Realistically I'd like a system that didn't put too many responsibilities on those participating or reffing and such. 

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 01:48:28 pm »
I like the idea of weekly blind pick though, it means if first week ship didn't work for X reason then week two "Bob" can take a different ship and not be stuck with the ship he chose :)

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 02:28:27 pm »
It's just that a lot of people aren't particularly fond of jumping on the forums (or skyping/emailing, etc)and filling out a form each and every week for an event they already signed up for. It's not as big of a deal for those of us that jump onto the forums anyways, but we're actually the minority of GoIO players.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »
It's just that a lot of people aren't particularly fond of jumping on the forums (or skyping/emailing, etc)and filling out a form each and every week for an event they already signed up for. It's not as big of a deal for those of us that jump onto the forums anyways, but we're actually the minority of GoIO players.

That is very true... I guess it also makes it harder for new teams who may find player implemented rules daunting as well...

If only there were a blind lobby option on custom games.....

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 04:14:07 pm »
Might have to take the snark to Muse to get something put into the game. Not much I can do about myself. =P