Author Topic: A not-SCS idea.  (Read 8477 times)

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
A not-SCS idea.
« on: November 12, 2015, 11:26:32 am »
I figured this deserved it's own thread.

Make a tournament specifically designed to try out quirky features for use in tournaments ie. random ship pairings, blindpicks

Put it in a vacant time where it doest coincide with any important events or life stuff for teams.

Only organize it when there are ideas worth testing, ie in the course of 6 weeks, you organize it for the 2nd and 5th week because you have a lump of tournament ideas by then. Or continously test the same ideas week-by-week and add in new ones as you go along.

And afterwards, make sure SCS is purified of any of this. There never was a set direction for SCS, during competitive events, it was an experimental tournament, between competitive events it was the closest you could get to competitive. The one trait it had was that it was there every week and you didnt have to commit to it for a long time like the bigger tournaments. It's time we started making a spin off of SCS that defines it's purpose better and lets players know what they're going into.

Ideally, it should be encouraged to have a limited amount of teams going in rather than it being public- if not forcing a quota of max 4 teams. This is to make sure it doesnt last too long and doesnt drain teams from playing more competitive events.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: A not-SCS idea.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 11:53:49 am »
People barely sign up for scs... I highly doubt anyone would sign up for a similar but less official one. Similar tests have been done in the past, and if not done in an actual event people just don't show up - that is solely the reason it is done in scs rather than an "on-the-side" event.

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:09 pm »
People barely sign up for SCS because SCS is just a joke right now. SCS used to be a good place to practice, but not anymore. Now it's just too full of itself. If something like this idea is what it takes to get SCS back on track, I say try it. I miss being able to use SCS to practice for real competitive events. Also, if no one showed up in events where silly ideas were tried, perhaps that's because no one wants them?

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 12:27:46 pm »
SCS is super serious guys. Really. Gotta try hard for those imaginary points.

Well, I suppose with the leaderboard the points are no longer imaginary, but these whole past few posts about SCS have distinctly felt like a lot of the people act like it's supposed to be anything other than a high-skilled scrimmage to keep teams sharp, and have fun. It's good to put effort, and work into building a solid team, but this feels pretty damn silly. Save it for the next Blood and Brass.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 12:37:18 pm »
SCS is super serious guys. Really. Gotta try hard for those imaginary points.

Well, I suppose with the leaderboard the points are no longer imaginary, but these whole past few posts about SCS have distinctly felt like a lot of the people act like it's supposed to be anything other than a high-skilled scrimmage to keep teams sharp, and have fun. It's good to put effort, and work into building a solid team, but this feels pretty damn silly. Save it for the next Blood and Brass.

Technically, back in blood and brass we tried hard for imaginary hats and badges (Which we still havent gotten as of yet by the way), so really the only thing that differs it from SCS is that it's psychologically percieved as a more serious tournament.

And you can't keep teams sharp in an enviroment with distractions like blind picks, the point we've been making all along infact is for SCS to be nothing more than high level scrimmage.

And a leaderboard might just make teams work more for those "imaginary points", which is yet again another gimmick that was added to SCS a month before blood and brass' announcement.

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 01:00:44 pm »
Of course. You're not getting paid for being competitive. This isn't Dota or Starcraft or LoL. The only thing that distinguishes SCS from a vet match are signups and brackets. It's all psychological.

Traditionally, however, SCS has been a place to experiment, and keep sharp. It feels like it's taking a decidedly...I don't want to say "Try hard" attitude, because I'm of the view that if you're playing a game, you should always be playing to win, but something along those lines.

(I also really like the leaderboard in theory--I think good clans should have a place to prove they're good in the public eye, but if it leads to people being less willing to experiment, teach, and play around, that's a recipe for a stale metagame, and boring, over-serious matches in a very, very tiny community.)

Offline SteamyNoodle

• Salutes: 17
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 11:25:58 pm »
I think a large part of the reason the SCS has been taken more seriously recently is down to the relative infrequency of any other events.  3/4 weeks it's the most serious event running, because there's just nothing else on.  We had the Blood and Brass, but unless I'm wrong that was the first non-SCS or Aerodrome event since... the Blossoming Coliseum?  In April?

6 months is a hell of a lot of downtime with no other place for more experienced teams to go for more organized play, seems perfectly natural to me that people would start taking it more seriously.  The idea that it's supposed to be used to train for other events when those other events literally don't exist seems kind of odd to me.

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:55:42 am »
Make a tournament specifically designed to try out quirky features for use in tournaments ie. random ship pairings, blindpicks

Put it in a vacant time where it doest coincide with any important events or life stuff for teams.

You mean this?

Technically, back in blood and brass we tried hard for imaginary hats and badges (Which we still havent gotten as of yet by the way), ...

These are also on the way, I'm working with the artists on finishing up the badges.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:58:40 am by Ayetach »