Author Topic: Alliance-inspired pvp modes?  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
Alliance-inspired pvp modes?
« on: August 29, 2015, 10:35:49 am »
Has the thought occured to muse? And I'm not talking about reusing assets, guns or ships, but rather about integrating the AI into a new PvP gamemode.

There's many possible ways I think this could work;
The AI could act as a 3rd 'team' of sorts- like for example, the gamemode where players attempt to intercept and bring home those balloon-thing resources, could easily translate into PvP. Teams compete for resources which they steal from AI and each other, until a certain limit is reached. Another example would be a variation of the usual CK/CP, with AI ships contesting player-held points and defending neutral ones(I'm pretty sure someone has already suggested that in the past).
The AI could alternatively be part of each team- e.g. , similarly to mobas, a gamemode could revolve around progressively pushing into the enemy team's territory, destroying enemy defensive structures and AI ships while defending your own, until a team is left with no more structures, at which point it loses the ability to respawn (kinda like some sort of last man standing/tower defense combination or something).

ps: I'm sure there was a similar thread made somewhere somewhen but I can't seem to find it

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance-inspired pvp modes?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:05:12 am »
GoIO - the moba. A new influence in the moba genre or the end of the GoIO Community as we know it?

Coop Moba would be a nice thing to see though. Also, let's face it. We'd all like to blow masses of smaller airships as well as player controlled ships to kingdom come .

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:01:51 am »
GoIO - the moba. A new influence in the moba genre or the end of the GoIO Community as we know it?

Coop Moba would be a nice thing to see though. Also, let's face it. We'd all like to blow masses of smaller airships as well as player controlled ships to kingdom come .

Moba generally only works with combat based around melee mmo-rpg style attacks.

It does not work with shootie style game play. It just becomes heavy on brawlers and becomes very repetitive as it falls for dominant strategy syndrome (the symptom for poor game design).

Much better to use modes that uses more mobile style game play. Like tag or CTF.

But yes PVP AI pilots might be neat to have as it can fix the issue of pilots leaving and generally speeding up lobbies. Plus with AI you are guaranteed to have a decent teammate buildwise, it uses the novice presets.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:05:10 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Dryykon

• Salutes: 10
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 06:50:19 pm »
No MOBA.

Please

Spare the resistance from that contamination.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:07:52 pm »
I've been playing a lot of Heroes of the Storm lately. Sounds exciting.

Also, oh man, is that Sprayer? Haven't seen him in ages

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 04:26:55 am »
A super threatening Hunter Killer Mega ship what will roam the map and try to destroy any ship within it's patrol path
(A relic from the old past, no one knows who built it or when it was built, but it still survives and those who survived are not the same)

Any kills it pulls off on you, count towards the kill count
Players from both teams can decide to kill it together or just fight in areas where it can't see you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dead zone
A labyrinth that has nasty traps (Basically a Labyrinth type map with a Dust/Tar Cloud layer). Mine laying Sentries, Towers that shoot fire when you get near them, Heat-seeking Lumberjack shots. 5 of your ships have to make it to the enemy spawn before 5 of the enemy's ships make it to yours. Once a ship makes it to the enemy spawn point, it will re-spawn at their own spawn to bring another ship to the enemy spawn point.
(We just want to go home and we're ordered to not let them escape, this is a really bad day)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armageddon remake - Cargo delivery
Teams fight to deliver one cargo to enemy base. Once 1 cargo is deployed, it will destroy a spawn point. Match is finished when all spawn points are depleted and no enemy ships remain.
(The only thing tough enough to destroy a "Faction" Supply depot is a "Insert Ridiculous steampunk inspired mega bomb", only problem is there's only one at a time and we don't like sharing)
Clash of the Titans
Two mega ships on either team fight. Which ever ship dies, the killing team wins the match.
(They've hired us for a battle between "Faction" flag ship and the "Faction" Flag ship. I guess they really want the recognition. I don't see why they haven't just gone to war yet?)