Author Topic: PAX Alliance Streamed Content  (Read 17948 times)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
PAX Alliance Streamed Content
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:38:27 pm »
For those that saw it, or those that didn't go here, what are you thoughts and opinions on everything you saw?

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
Re: PAX Alliance Streamed Content
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:44:03 pm »
I'm liking how hard hard mode looks. I was worried it wasn't going to be a challenge. The Magnate looks awesome, I can see myself flying it a lot. It feels like a Goldfish made love to a Galleon. The Crusader looks incredibly vulnerable to being flanked-I'm going to be curious to see it's role.

Attack mode appears to be the most difficult game mode. I'm wondering about the potential for sniping ships if any of the modes except defense.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:03:09 pm by DrTentacles »

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:27:23 am »
Hell mode was... Hell...  :'(

Also, I feel that Defence mode was the Hardest. There are a lot of attackers and the Boss ship is intense.

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 10:36:58 am »
I love how the gameplay looks so far, but I'm a little iffy on the design of the Magnate. It's pretty but feels over-designed.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 12:19:14 pm »
Well, since the new ships were officially shown off, I guess these pictures can be released now

Offline DJ Logicalia

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:21:32 pm »
I got to fly both of these ships for a reasonable amount of time. If anyone has any questions, let me know

Offline Keiran Gold

• Salutes: 4
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 01:06:09 pm »
...does the Magnate only look like it doesn't have any fencing or...

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 01:10:44 pm »
I got to fly both of these ships for a reasonable amount of time. If anyone has any questions, let me know

How many times did you want to give up while trying to turn or stop these damn things?!

Offline DrTentacles

• [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 01:11:56 pm »
Turn speed, and armor, past what's on the ships graphs?

Can you get a trifecta on the Magnate? (It looks like it's pretty easy to get on the Crusader?)

How hard are repair/chem cycles?

Vertical acceleration for both ships?

Is there a way to get someone, like, say, a blenderfish out of your blindspot as the Crusader?

How badly does the upward tilt of the Heavy Gun mounts hose Close-Range guns. It looks like the ship, as a whole, might be designed as a "ground skimmer." Am I correct?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 01:17:05 pm »
As I told Muse

People don't like the armor break indicator. A partial solution may be changing from smooth curves to jagged lines to stimulate cracks.

I'm concerned about the role of ranged and disable weapons. Ranged doesn't work if there are many brawl enemies and is best against fewer stronger enemies. Disable (flechette/shatter) is a strong commitment to sacrifice dps in favor of locking down one enemy. If there are many weak enemies you need to kill as fast as possible. I'm concerned of strong metas favoring kill guns.

I dislike the design of the small AI aircraft. They move slowly and mechanically without flight physics. Flight behavior can be fixed with program tweaks.

The twin-boom fighter closely resembles the specialized multi-role fighter model P-38 Thunderbolt used in WW2. Instead I would recommend removing the center cockpit to transform it into a twin-fuselage aircraft. This was often created by simply joining together two existing fuselages and reduced design and production costs. It capitalized on existing designs to create a heavy fighter version such as the F-82 or Bf-109Z. The twin-boom fighter looks too much like the iconic  P-38, and switching to a twin-fuselage design would make it more unique and practical.

The other fighter I saw had long curved swept back wings. This suggests it's designed for high speed high attitude. Swept back wings weren't necessary until the introduction of jet and rocket power, and long wings are for lift at high altitude. The current design would have poor low speed low attitude performance. If this is the fast fighter in the game I'd recommend shortening the wings.

The bomber is also designed for speed at high altitude with its long thin wings and fuselage resembling the B-29. I'd recommend a 2 engine medium bomber for the game instead of 4 engine heavy bomber, but if 4 are necessary I'd recommend a stocky design with wider wings and shorter fuselage like the Avro Lancaster.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:39:26 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 01:49:53 pm »
As I told Muse

People don't like the armor break indicator. A partial solution may be changing from smooth curves to jagged lines to stimulate cracks.

I'm concerned about the role of ranged and disable weapons. Ranged doesn't work if there are many brawl enemies and is best against fewer stronger enemies. Disable (flechette/shatter) is a strong commitment to sacrifice dps in favor of locking down one enemy. If there are many weak enemies you need to kill as fast as possible. I'm concerned of strong metas favoring kill guns.

I dislike the design of the small AI aircraft. They move slowly and mechanically without flight physics. Flight behavior can be fixed with program tweaks.

The twin-boom fighter closely resembles the specialized multi-role fighter model P-38 Thunderbolt used in WW2. Instead I would recommend removing the center cockpit to transform it into a twin-fuselage aircraft. This was often created by simply joining together two existing fuselages and reduced design and production costs. It capitalized on existing designs to create a heavy fighter version such as the F-82 or Bf-109Z. The twin-boom fighter looks too much like the iconic  P-38, and switching to a twin-fuselage design would make it more unique and practical.

The other fighter I saw had long curved swept back wings. This suggests it's designed for high speed high attitude. Swept back wings weren't necessary until the introduction of jet and rocket power, and long wings are for lift at high altitude. The current design would have poor low speed low attitude performance. If this is the fast fighter in the game I'd recommend shortening the wings.

The bomber is also designed for speed at high altitude with its long thin wings and fuselage resembling the B-29. I'd recommend a 2 engine medium bomber for the game instead of 4 engine heavy bomber, but if 4 are necessary I'd recommend a stocky design with wider wings and shorter fuselage like the Avro Lancaster.

Nothing gets past you! :)

Offline DJ Logicalia

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »
Turn speed, and armor, past what's on the ships graphs?

Can you get a trifecta on the Magnate? (It looks like it's pretty easy to get on the Crusader?)

How hard are repair/chem cycles?

Vertical acceleration for both ships?

Is there a way to get someone, like, say, a blenderfish out of your blindspot as the Crusader?

How badly does the upward tilt of the Heavy Gun mounts hose Close-Range guns. It looks like the ship, as a whole, might be designed as a "ground skimmer." Am I correct?

Magnate basically flies like a goldfish. I had to engi pilot since a Muse guy had to be at the helm in order to access the ship, so I only brought kerosene and it was fine. Armour is basically pyra armour, and the hull is junker hull. It's a more mobile glass cannon than the spire is.

Crusader is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. So bad. It's like a mega galleon. I had to bring phoenix claw and even then it turned like a beast. So slow. It is really tanky, even more so than the galleon from what I could tell. More perma and armour.

Magnate trifecta is pretty easy. You can also get a bifecta with the front guns. Crusader is a bit more difficult actually. I'm sure you could get it down with practice, but the arcs are so unique from any other ship, I had a hard time getting it down right away.

Hard. I assume a good engineer could get it with practice, but I wouldn't put a new player on the Crusader. Magnate is a little easier, but not much more. Both ships have very odd component placement, especially in regards to the engines. I'd imagine eventually crews will find a way to divide it up into halves like people do with the Goldfish and the Squid, but I didn't see a pattern straight away.

Sadly, with the hecticness of co-op, I wasn't really able to observe vertical movement. That, and I didn't have pilot stamina or hydro really sort of hindered my ability to test it. I'd love to be able to test them in a less wild environment.

Not really, in my opinion. It's parts are concealed and protected pretty well, and it has a lot of guns, but it's gonna be like a galleon with a squid.

The upward tilt is really weird to say the least. Hypothetically, one could get used to it, but it'd take some serious practice

Offline DJ Logicalia

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 03:03:55 pm »
...does the Magnate only look like it doesn't have any fencing or...

The Magnate and the Crusader both are missing a lot of railing that make crewing it pretty risky. I assume more rails are gonna be added at some point, but I don't know for sure

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 05:57:05 pm »
Does the crusader at least have good acceleration? It seems fast-ish and I'm sorta getting the impression of it being a heavy pyramidion

Offline DrTentacles

• [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 06:56:21 pm »
I actually liked the Red Glow, so put me in as the voice of dissent. Either that, or massive billowing clouds of smoke from the ship would be my recommendation.