Author Topic: Utility Ammos  (Read 19172 times)

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
Utility Ammos
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:57 pm »
After watching a lot of Splatoon play I thought of an idea
I thought that having Weird, Quirky ammo would make the gunner a more utility focused class
I searching up some existing ammo and came up with these

Tracer Ammo
Ammo that causes Flare light to be emitted on shots that make impact. Shots would have a limited radius of emitted light meaning less lag and less effective than the flare (More effective for enemy ships trying to run way from a short range load out).
--------
Easier alternative - make the spots last for longer after the enemy has taken cover

Stealth Shot
Ammo that eliminates the sound of the shot as well as make the projectile invisible to make it harder for the enemy to detect where the shots are coming from. (I have no Idea how this with mines would work, I guess you would just have mines popping out of nowhere)

Smoke Shot
Ammo that causes a cloud to be emitted around the radius of the shots decreasing the target's visibility. It would, however, make it easier for the target to shake off spots.

Piercing Shot
Ammo that penetrates through a ship causing it to hit multiple components. Would have to have a significant clip reduction for this one.

Acid Shot
Ammo that makes it easier to break components by decreasing component health to a fixed decreased number. Major rate of fire reduction for this.

What about you guys? Can you think of any weird ammunition that might make the gunner a utility focused class?

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Utility Ammos
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:03:45 pm »
Stealth mines............beautiful........ Acid ammo sounds a lot like incendiary though.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:07:57 pm »
There are 4 ammos in Dev App: Injection, Dragon Ash, Dense Slug, and Armed.

More ammos would help make the gunner useful. Fix incendiary first
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:23:28 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:07:38 pm »
stealth shot makes no sense from a lore perspective. And its not like call of duty where a person shooting makes the ship blip on the map screen revealing them.

Acid=pretty much does the job of proper dps ammo hence pointless.

flare and smoke=lag gun and makes the use of utility guns and pilot tools that have ALWAYS done the job in the fine balanced way useless.

The role of guns is to control enemy movement, whether to force a ship to go down, retreat, be blocked off or forced to die and spawn out of its effective combat zone and of course gun arcs.

The role of ammo is to support these actions. To either prevent the above actions used against you or to amplify the ability. Either by increasing accuracy, aoe or dps.

With that in mind. Every ammo type thus far has its utility.

Here's something to consider.

High piercing ammo-gives even explosive guns like flak an increase in pierce dmg but decreases explosive. Increased rate of fire, lower clip. Hence cannot replace greased.
High Explosive ammo-decreases pierce but increases explosive. lower rate of fire, bigger clip.

Flechette, impact and shatter ammo. I considered but nah. Way to OP. Impact mines, flechette lumber, and shatter on any gun with AOE...

maybe a nerf like inci with a chance of increased x-dmg. where x is the type of dmg.

This is of course me thinking about me suffering noob builds and me as a vet finally having some degree of control of the situation... like old crazy king....

@pie

some info on the ammo types beyond the names would be nice.

but by the names, I don't like them already as they seem to imply to be very very gun specific.

Liked armed probably being related to arming time (hence what happens to guns with no arming time)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:13:22 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 09:33:21 pm »
@Ceres

Stealth shot mutes the sound and cloaks the projectile, preventing the enemy from tracing its path back to your ship and helping you stay somewhat hidden.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:09 pm »
What happens in Dev App stays in dev app until it is actually released into the live version of this game.

If you want to find out more about dev app stuff, you can easily become a tester, play the dev app version of this game to see what may or may not be coming in the next patch and check the dev app forum about what happened previously in dev app.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 12:36:29 am »
I had originally decided to make this thread somewhat serious
With various types of ammo relating to visibility and manipulating enemy information/ positioning
But I gave up after realizing that I ran out of ideas

More Ammos!!

Nerve Gas shot
Ammo that has a chance to disable or limit the use of player stamina bar

Decoy shot
Make whatever the projectile impacts (Wall, ground, ally, etc) look like hit markers to the enemy

Light weight shot
Ammo that decreases projectile drop but still keeps projectile speed

Gilder shot
Ammo that makes the gun react as it did pre-patch normal Ammo

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:12:26 am »
@Ceres

Stealth shot mutes the sound and cloaks the projectile, preventing the enemy from tracing its path back to your ship and helping you stay somewhat hidden.

"cloaks the projectile", "mutes the shot"

these guns aren't piddly little rifles. These are huge ass anti-airship weapons. You can't just put a suppressor on a cannon that shoots explosive shells or a gatling gun that fires high calibre armour piercing bullets.

How can you say this stuff with a straight face?

If you had cloaking technology in guns why the hell would you just have it on ammo?

@noir

besides the nerve gas (because players don't have a hit box in regards to shots hitting them)

You're going in the right direction. Stay in the vein of technology thats around the 2nd world war, look into warfare around that time.

In fact here's an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eht0sGmiyBM

gonna send this to muse to update the mines to act like this. because the technology existed and would have been discovered by he age of air.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:23:56 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:33:10 am »
That's why it's a special ammo! Some crazy gunner put weird stuff in a flak shell, resulting in weird properties!

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »
That's why it's a special ammo! Some crazy gunner put weird stuff in a flak shell, resulting in weird properties!

next you'll be suggesting radar and stingers and nukes.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 03:48:36 pm »
Smokeless powder and suppressors were developed before the first World War. An ammo that shoots a clear projectile could be difficult to visually detect. It might be a crystalline material at the cost of damage.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:52:19 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 04:44:30 pm »
Smokeless powder and suppressors were developed before the first World War. An ammo that shoots a clear projectile could be difficult to visually detect. It might be a crystalline material at the cost of damage.

You're suggesting we shoot glass bullets and shells?

And suppressors were never put on flak cannon and anti aircraft gatling guns.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 04:54:51 pm »

Why does that matter in this game?

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 05:33:33 pm »

Why not?

Indeed, they never were. But there also weren't airships of the type we see in-game.

There's a first time for everything, including suppressed flak cannons.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:15 pm »

Why does that matter in this game?

There's suspension of disbelief and there's the flying graysons kind of suspension.