Author Topic: "The Cogs" Week 5 - Brackets  (Read 15655 times)

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
"The Cogs" Week 5 - Brackets
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:13:57 pm »
Aah, and here we are again. Things just got serious, guys. The Cogs are full. All nine active spots are now filled by the brave and the bold, the proud and the plucky... But they're worried, and they're right to be. From this point on, there are no second chances, no lucky breaks. The Newcomer's Proving Ground is now a graveyard, where the unworthy, the unfit or the just plain unlucky will see their loss rewarded with ejection and shame.

That's right, it's all to play for now. Match 1's consequences are now live and the punishment for a loss at this stage is ejection from The Cogs*. To those teams unlucky enough to have either joined late or fallen into the rotation of the Upcomer's Cog, I'll say this: Good Luck.

Here are the brackets for Week 5. (Click to enlarge)

Match 1 sees the stalwart roster of Corvus Marauders facing off against the latest Ducks entry of The Dover around the corroded metallic skeleton of the leviathan in the Battle on the Dunes. Will the practiced and drilled roster of Corvus maintain it's position within The Cogs, or will the unorthodox insanity that is Dover prevail through sheer versatility and willpower? One thing's for sure, Dover are bringing something crazy to the party, and both of us on The Cogs casting team are looking forward to seeing exactly what the latest offering from The Ducks can do.

Match 2 features the dapper excellence that is The Gentlemen sturggling to prove their worth after the humiliating defeat at the hands of the Ducks in their own domain in Week 3. In a cruel twist of fate, however, they must now defend their veteran position against the relative newcomers The Brood, who slaughtered their sister team in the previous week in a serious demonstration of the dangers of Duck-on-Duck violence to earn their shot at the Challenger's Cog. Defeat is not an option for the Gentlemen but with the sheer volume of Ducks within The Cogs at this stage, there's a real chance that the toffs could end up being compeltely overwhelmed by our would-be feathered overlords. In an even crueler twist of fate, guess which map this avian bloodbath rolled? That's right, the Gentlemen are returning once again to the site of their greatest triumph and their most recent loss. Northern Fjords. Excited yet? I am.

Match 3 is going to be a showcase to remember and potentially one of the defining matches within competitive GoIO as we know it. The undefeated champions with of The Cogs with a winning streak of five victories in as many weeks, The Paddling, are the undisputed masters of sniping tactics. Many have tried to take them down at pretty much every range imaginable, and all have failed. Even the pure aggression of Merry Northern Storm was parried and dispatched last week with a metaphorical backhander from the Ducks. They've systematically cut their way through almost every team within The Cogs and seized the top-spot. Now though, they face what could be their greatest challenge so far. Enter Polaris Company, the Russian powerhouse that overwhelmed the Muse team and sent the illustrious Pastafarians back down to the Upcomer's Cog with one of the most unorthadox and meta-breaking builds we've seen so far, the BlenderSpire. Now, they smell blood. The Russians are so close to the topspot and so close to doing what Pastafarians couldn't and rising to the champion spot in a single brutal combo. But to do that, Polaris will have to do what the entire community has so far been unable to do; bring down the Ducks. It's gonna be a brutal and unforgiving match for both teams as they're sent into the murky mists that surround the rubble and wreckage of Duel at Dawn. Will the Ducks be able to keep their bills firmly clamped around the Champion Cog, or will the merciless Russian onslaught prove too much for the community favourites?

Match 4(!?) is something of a special event. Veteran forum-goers will by now be familiar with the Museosaurs's regular and futile attempts to defeat a community-selected organised team. Picked by an open vote on the official Guns of Icarus Online Facebook page, Muse will thrown down the gauntlet to whomever the community deems worthy of the dev's fury... And this week, it just so happens that Muse have gotten desperate. You heard me, they've gotten bored of picking on their superiors within The Cogs, and have conspired to come up with an opponent that they feel might prove their equal, or even their lesser. Us. Yes, us. Occasionally Effective, the Casters. Set over a monsterous Best of Three, with the loser picking the maps after an initial coin toss, we here are Occasionally Effective would like to wish our counterparts within the Muse team the best of luck with the maps they will inevitably be picking.

Tune into the Occasionally Effective stream on Saturday, 4pm EST to follow all the action with our resident caster, Qwerty2Jam, and don't forget to stick around to watch us attempt to curbstomp the Muse team. How hard can it be? We'll see.

That's all for now. But enough from me, what's your view? With three Duck teams in the three matches of today, who are you rooting for? Will you clap for their rivals, the Russians, the Gentlemen and Corvus, or are you quacking for the Ducks all the way?

Either way, that's all you get until Saturday.

Good luck, and stay safe.

-Swallow

*Quick note for those of you who are worried about this: Teams are eligible to sign up for a newcomer spot immediately after their ejection. They're not permanently removed... They just have to prove themselves again.

Offline zitruskiller

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" Week 5 - Brackets
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:01 pm »
oh duel at dawn, thats cool, i was worried about Dunes will be the map for us, now im sure that would be an interesting match.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:29:50 pm by Fluitaire »

Offline nedsvart

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 1
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 03:04:12 pm »
Oh, Duel at Dawn. This is the map that I was expecting to see

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »
duel at dawn?

rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rable rabel rabel

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:22:58 pm »
I don't think there will be any shortage of action in our match.  Looking forward to an amazing game against some very skilled opponents on Saturday.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:36:35 pm »
The Brood didn't really slaughter us... It was 5-4...

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:03 pm »

don't worry you'll get used to it.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »

In other news, Skrimskraw still hoping for that elusive first win.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:44 pm »

Sorry, sometimes I get carried away when writing these... And "Slaughter" is a fun word. Plus Ducks are livestock, so it makes sense... Well, not really, but it's an excuse.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 03:48:11 pm »

In other news, Skrimskraw still hoping for that elusive first win.

well that was taken like an insult.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:19:47 pm »
Wow duel at dawn again? Swallow you evil bastard.
I was hoping for Canyon Ambush. I love me some Canyon Ambush.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:41:16 pm »
Wow duel at dawn again? Swallow you evil bastard.
I was hoping for Canyon Ambush. I love me some Canyon Ambush.

He's rigging it so that we don't have any more matches with the first 28 minutes free of kills.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:37:57 pm »
Hah I'd be happy to never go back to Fjords again. I don't care about sniper alley. I just want some Canyon Ambush :p

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 04:03:44 pm »
How am I feeling about the Dover finally getting its feet wet. Well I had five different phases of feelings.

1. Well, Corvus can't that good right? I mean they haven't won a game yet. We might pull through. Right? RIGHT?
2. I hate Squash so much right now. Why did he make me a captain of a cogs team. Gagh I hate everyone right now.
3. Please just let us play a different team, or perhaps another map in a few weeks? Please I can compromise.
4. I am so unloved. I don't want to play this game anymore, I find no more enjoyment in it.
5. Fine, lets just get it over with.

So yeah, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. You know I bet understanding these phases might be helpful for other people in similar situations. I should write an article on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

Offline FightBoyVash

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Redstone Rampaga
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54:05 pm »

That was all part of the plan!! which means we had no idea what was going on and how we won is beyond me