Author Topic: Looking for vectors  (Read 7404 times)

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
Looking for vectors
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:47:05 am »
Good day\evening\night\morning

Well, here i am thinking to make to myself and my crew some badges or sumthing-sumthing from GoI, so i fired up my laser graver and starting to look for ideas... and met one big problem. I can't make icons, which i have on my hand, to vectorized graphic. -_- Which is bad to me.
So... is there any way to find, somewhere, and vectorized pics of gunner\pilot\engineer classes? I'm tryed to google it, but with no luck. -_- And i'm not a good artist to make one myself. So i'm asking a community for help - maybe someone has those?

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for vectors
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 05:02:14 am »
You cannot turn a bitmap image such as a paper based icon into a vector.

This is because once a vector image such as an icon is created, it is then printed in a bitmap format due to printers having to paint in every pixel, much like a bitmap graphic.

Vector graphics on the other hand, are made using complex geometry and maths to produce fluid shapes which, are not made of pixels, this means that an image can be increased or decreased and the maths and magic will ensure the image is not distorted or pixelated.

What you will need to do is simply attempt to recreate the image from scratch. What you could do is, use a printer to scan the image onto your computer, open it in your vector based graphics production software and rebuild the icon from scratch in a new layer or group of layers depending on how technical you are.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:04:07 am »
Also, with reference to making graphics, this post may be better off in The Gallery or The lounge.

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:55:23 am »
Well, i 'm know what vectors and bitmap, i'm just lacking the skill to make a good vector out of that bitmap. Mostly because, when art involved, my hands suddenly attaches themself to mah butt.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:58:08 am »
when art involved, my hands suddenly attaches themself to mah butt.

That's called Dancing.  ;D

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:00 am »
Some programs are capable of simply turning bitmaps into vectors, through their own algorithm. Inkscape appears to be capable of such feats http://www.wikihow.com/Trace-an-Image-Using-Inkscape
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:34:23 am by Dementio »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:05:23 pm »
Some programs are capable of simply turning bitmaps into vectors, through their own algorithm. Inkscape appears to be capable of such feats http://www.wikihow.com/Trace-an-Image-Using-Inkscape

I'm no expert on 3d printing, but if this is to use a 3d printer, be careful, as some more complex prints can peel. One of my friends does commission 3d printing and he blabbers about it, but as I said I'm no expert, just passing on things I've heard.