Author Topic: Review My Guns of Icarus Review  (Read 11908 times)

Offline Bios Element

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
    • Bios Elemental
Review My Guns of Icarus Review
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:55:11 am »
Howdy folks. I just finished writing up a short-ish review of the game and would much appreciate vets of the game glance it over for any inaccuracies. Had a bunch of people asking my opinions for a few weeks now so I rather owed it to them to draft up my thoughts. ^_^ I actually re-purposed the site and brought it online special for this review as it wasn't exactly something appropriate for my personal site so of course if anyone needs tweaked, I'd like to know.

Thanks to whoever takes the time to look it over.

http://otakuview.com/2013/guns-of-icarus-online-review/

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Review My Guns of Icarus Review
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:20:00 am »
Oh hey! We played together today on the Lucky Duck.
Good review, glad you liked the game. Look forward to seeing you around more.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:23:58 am »
That was a nice read. Always helps to get more pages on the internet boasting what we all know is a fantastic game backed by an even better company.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:11:32 am »
Great review. I think it captures nicely the passion so many of us feel for this game.

Offline Bios Element

• View Profile
    • Bios Elemental
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 05:11:19 pm »
Great to hear folks. I was hoping I could try to capture the actual spirit of the game rather then simply another clinical write-up. ^_^

And yes, I'm fairly addicted so I'll be around and probably capturing some footage as well.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:15:04 pm »
Reviews like these are a breath of fresh air. Back in the beta there were reviews that criticized the game for being incomplete. I mean, really?

Offline Bios Element

• View Profile
    • Bios Elemental
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 05:36:38 pm »
Reviews like these are a breath of fresh air. Back in the beta there were reviews that criticized the game for being incomplete. I mean, really?
I'm of the opinion that reviewing games in beta is fine if it's a long-running kind of thing, however if you do then it's required that you take missing features and most bugs with a grain of salt. Sure they're notable, but at the end of the day you're reviewing an incomplete project.

And with that said, I'm taking suggestions for other games to review since this seems well received so if you've got any ideas, let me know folks. ^_^

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:28:30 pm »
No, if the game's up for sale and taking money it deserves to be reviewed in its current state, ready or not.  A reviewer's job is to give you an idea of whether something is worth your money now, not to coddle the game.  Too many games are in a state of perpetual beta to make that sort of approach feasible.  If the game later makes a marked improvement, which GoI obviously has, then there should be an update but most sites aren't going to bother and that is a shame.  It highlights one of the big issues with Metacritic, which doesn't do too well with disposing of reviews that are no longer applicable to the current version of a game.  Once a game takes off that "beta" label though that's their own fault for not being ready for a review.

As for the review itself, it's pretty soft.  There's no mention of the limited and sometimes poorly designed maps (Duel at Dawn and Desert Scrap, anyone?) or the occasional difficulty in actually finding a game much less one that doesn't end in a curbstomp.  There's also the somewhat steep learning curve, almost necessitating another player to explain everything to you as the game lacks a tutorial, instead asking you to read a multipage manual to even get a clue of what's going on (though at least the sandbox mode and on-screen tutorial messages somewhat makes up for this).   Little attention is paid to the currently existing bugs or performance issues.  Major perks like its cross-platform nature and low price also don't get a mention.

As long as that review is, you'd think it'd be a bit more complete with its criticism.

It pretty accurately captures what draws so many people to the game, though, so overall it's a pretty decent review even if it barely mentions its flaws.  The games strengths DO overshadow its flaws, after all.  It'd be something you'd show your friends to get them excited about the game rather than something that'd actually belong on a review site, and that's fine because that's exactly what I'd use it for.  I'm mostly focusing on what's wrong with the review since it seems like you're wanting to make this a hobby, if it's just a one-off thing it doesn't really matter.

Offline Bios Element

• View Profile
    • Bios Elemental
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:28:51 am »
As for the review itself, it's pretty soft.  There's no mention of the limited and sometimes poorly designed maps (Duel at Dawn and Desert Scrap, anyone?) or the occasional difficulty in actually finding a game much less one that doesn't end in a curbstomp.  There's also the somewhat steep learning curve, almost necessitating another player to explain everything to you as the game lacks a tutorial, instead asking you to read a multipage manual to even get a clue of what's going on (though at least the sandbox mode and on-screen tutorial messages somewhat makes up for this).   Little attention is paid to the currently existing bugs or performance issues.  Major perks like its cross-platform nature and low price also don't get a mention.

As long as that review is, you'd think it'd be a bit more complete with its criticism.

It pretty accurately captures what draws so many people to the game, though, so overall it's a pretty decent review even if it barely mentions its flaws.  The games strengths DO overshadow its flaws, after all.  It'd be something you'd show your friends to get them excited about the game rather than something that'd actually belong on a review site, and that's fine because that's exactly what I'd use it for.  I'm mostly focusing on what's wrong with the review since it seems like you're wanting to make this a hobby, if it's just a one-off thing it doesn't really matter.

That's totally fair criticism. I'm attempting to actually capture the game experiences it provided rather then a clinical review. There are already plenty of 'professional' reviews which did fine jobs of dissecting it to this level but typically failed to capture much, if any, of the games spirit. In writing this, I'm working to not simply have 'another' review, but as others have said, capture some of the spirit of the game. I probably was soft, however I feel that stating that it was a buggy mess on launch that has improved, with some issues remaining, is fair. As long as there is solid efforts to improve things, I feel it's only reasonable to take that into account as there are so many games which don't even make this effort.

As for a hard time finding games, actually that surprised me. I've been playing mostly between 12-5am Eastern time and have always been able to find a game within a couple minutes. Again, that's perhaps not the norm and if that's unusual I'd love to know, but it's what I've been seeing the past week or so. Re: Curbstomps, again, can't really say I've seen these too often. Maybe this is offset by having a fun team, but at least the past 5-ish games I've played were really close one point finishers.

Regarding map issues, that's actually a point and probably warrants a followup 'review update' to note these and this would actually be a pretty fun unique aspect for the reviews as it would make more sense then a review of a 3 year old game that was never again updated. Games change very rapidly and it makes sense that a reviewer should re-review games, especially ones they enjoy.

While I perhaps didn't make the learning curve very clear, and I'll see what I can squeeze in regarding this, really I feel if you have a mic you'll do just fine. Maybe that's just what I've seen so far but most folks are happy to teach a new player the ropes and with the improved tool-tips and in-game messages, It was vastly easier for me to play then it was originally.

In summary, I'm going to see about adding a Pros/Cons footer in to list some of the things that don't quite fit into the prose but are of special note such as the continued performance issues, and in the meantime I slightly strengthened the wording of continued issues to be somewhat more clear.

I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to so clearly explain the issues you saw, as there are indeed weaknesses and it is the first 'serious' review I've yet written. I'm trying to do something a bit different which to be fair may not be to everyone taste, but I also wouldn't want to mis-represent or gloss over truly major issues.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:43:23 am by Bios Element »