Author Topic: Flare Fun:  (Read 8313 times)

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Flare Fun:
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:53:00 am »
In the greenlight of the bring back the flare protest, I have a proposition.

Different Ammos have different effects right, how bout this,

Standard = green

Incen = red

Loch = Rainbow "its experimental"

Burst = Its current color, black? (maybe a possible cloak weapon) or Normal?

Charged = White

Heatsink = light blue

Lesmok = yellow

Greased = Normal Green

Heavy = Normal Green

The different colours are the different shades made in clouds :D

Your thoughts on this?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:08:05 am by The Mann »

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Re: Flare Fun:
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:22:55 am »
This has my vote.

Some thoughts:
Burst - increased illumination radius

One of them, charged maybe providing glare instead of spotting, making the cloud less transparent

Loch - if rainbow is a bit much maybe having it give a shorter, much more intense burst of light, bigger than burst even

Novel effects for novel guns - currently the way it works is that ammo has the same effect on every gun (excluding effects that themselves have no effect), i think as would be needed for this there should be an exception for unusual guns, the harpoon certainly and maybe the minotaur, flamer or mines (although mines allready get an interesting variety of effect)

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:05:21 am »
Ammo has the same effect on every gun, I think there should be an exception for unusual guns, the harpoon certainly and maybe the minotaur, flamer or mines (although mines already get an interesting variety of effect)

I completely agree with you Daft Loon, I could understand that normal guns, Gatling and Mortars for example should stay with the same effects but unusual guns such as Flares, Harpoons and Flamers could possibly have different affects such as different colours or with the case of the Harpoon, a different type of rope perhaps?.

We already know that the Mine Launch has a few effects such as the Lochnagar shot, it makes the Mine literally spawn in your face.

With other guns, too, placing a loch in a gatling makes cool blue bullets show up which then inevitably break the gun

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 05:49:07 am »
I really don't see Eric agreeing to this, great idea though.

Offline Frostbound

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 4
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:53:32 am »
Colours didn't really seem like a good idea, but having the ammo type affect the flare's lighting is really intriguing.

I agree with Daft Loon here, something like that would give some tactical depth to the flare as well.

Offline Tfaltys

• Salutes: 10
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:08:03 am »
Sounds fascinating, absolutely fascinating. I like some colour variation but perhaps having that many is a bit too much. Still as noted with the alternative to lochnagar (giving a shorter more intense burst) there could be different physical effects other than the standard hovering flare as well - there could be flares that slowly descend eventually illuminating lower parts of the map or flares that leave a smoke trail behind them acting as a bit of player created soft cover.

Loch could infact just be a bit of randomly coloured fireworks (acting as a brief period of very extensive illumination) and charged could be that shorter but more intense standard flare.

It has a lot of potential.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:47:24 am »
I have actually sent them an email a while back, with the introduction of the arming time to the flare to make it so the more arming time the flare has the more illumination radius it has, and the less arming time it has the less illumination it provides. So the result will be somewhat of a break from the heatsink meta to the flare.

The only ammo that increases arming time is lesmok, so you get a really long range, very illuminating one shot.
Non-arming time affecting shots will be like the normal flare of now.
Heatsink would give you 3 medium ranged flares with like 50% less of the illumination.

Just so you have a tad bit more ammo choices for the flares, and make it more interesting.

I am pretty sure I got an email back from Eric saying it would be interesting but a lot of work in the existing code to implement so they wouldn't do it, or something along the lines of that in a more polite manner. and if that is what I got for a less crazy idea from the color variation proposed here, I am sure you'll all get pretty much the same response from the devs sadly.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:51:57 am by Extirminator »

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:02 pm »
I like this idea.. I once suggested somewhere to have vanity slots that change the way tracers  in general looks (color or shape or whatever works).. or the way ships die when you get the kill (like the fireworks kill vs normal kill). (because its the only way to have a gunner specific vanity thing... Like pilot gets vanity ship, engi could have vanity tools)..

Making it so a specific kinda flare shields you from other flares could be a fancy idea.. but might cause issues.. Like make the cloud it effects non-flareable... So if you flare a cloud someone used a cloak flare on.. The flare would still light up like normal but it wouldn't reveal ships so you can't tell its been cloaked..

How often would that actually be useful? idk but it might be fun..

Offline Chmielewski

• Salutes: 19
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 03:04:37 pm »
THIS.
THIS WOULD BE AWESOME.