Author Topic: Idle lobby entertainments  (Read 22741 times)

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Idle lobby entertainments
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:03 pm »
In a recent match i overheard the crew of my allied ship proposing to resolve a double gunner situation by paper-scissors-rock. This proved somewhat impractical over voice chat but it got me thinking about the idea of adding such minigames to the lobby. As we all know the lobbies can drag on a bit on occasion, adding something mildly distracting could help mitigate the boredom with some conditions:
-It would have to be small enough to fit into the main lobby screen somewhere so you could still see whats happening & any text chat. (this is where using things outside the game fails for the most part)
-It can't too entertaining or it will contribute to slowing down the lobby more than it would make it seem shorter.
-It should be something easily cut off mid way when the match starts.

Paper-Scissors-Rock
It meets the above conditions and additionaly could be used to resolve petty disputes. It does bear some risk that people would use its existence to justify starting disputes then claiming the 50:50 chance to have it go thier way (ex unwanted gunner joins ship, claims they should get to paper scissors rock to decide, wins: uses that to justify thier behavior, loses: pretends it never happened and continues, this may or may not be outweighed by its use to solve disputes).

Betting
A simple system to bet on the match outcome (betting against your own team prohibited for obvious reasons)
Possible stakes
-Small amounts of exp, transferred from loser to winner. Winning bets has some correlation to skill so wouldnt be a total distortion and could be capped per level or per amount of normal exp gain.
-Hats (might be problematic as far as hurting store revenue)
-Smug hat and loser hat, special hats that become available for one game after the bet, loser hat is automatically worn for that time
-Progress towards special achievements
-A separate and entirely arbitrary score system

There is also the possibility of including the rules for some games that can be done with the current lobby (over voice or text) in some of the hints and splash texts around the game, this way players would become familar with the rules for those games (whatever they are, i don't actually know any off the top of my head).

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions for games of either kind?

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Idle lobby entertainments
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 11:06:47 pm »
I did think about betting on matches today actually

Like whose ally will be better?

Will the level 4 gunner understand commands?

But before the lobby you could maybe say which team you think will win and you could maybe get a little bit of extra xp.
Or something idk.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 05:07:01 am »
I did think about betting on matches today actually

Like whose ally will be better?

Will the level 4 gunner understand commands?

But before the lobby you could maybe say which team you think will win and you could maybe get a little bit of extra xp.
Or something idk.

I'm not sure about betting at the current state of the game. We have an Underdog system, which is either given to whoever has the least crew or the least amount of MMR. Betters might easily gravitate away from them.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 05:14:04 am »
I think that the idea of betting would be really good. But if you won/lost what would be the thing that you win? Maybe some points to unlocking a random item.

EG

Win=5
Lose = -5
if 100 then you get a random or say 100XP.

Something like that would be interesting. I would say betting on the score, and not the winner.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:10:28 am »
Dice poker!!!
Texas Hold 'em poker!!!

Lobbies would never end...

It used to be on Puzzle Pirates, you could put side game tables on your ship, and basically for those of us trying to fill big ships, we would have to wait while loading up with crew, so while waiting people would play poker, sword fights, coin drop etc while waiting..
But then again filling a ship with anything between 5 (small to medium small ships) to 50 (large to huge ships) could take anything from 2 minutes to an hour...
So the waiting games were needed!

However this is something I would love to see if Guns made it to full adventure mode...

Hell I'd sit in a lobby for ages if there were mini games to play with the others in the lobby...

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 02:47:13 pm »
Not gonna happen, Devs didn't made everything to cut off the waiting time in order to now instal mini-games in lobbies. Would be cool, though. I really like the idea of minigames in a bar/lobby in Adventure Mode, perhaps some kind of DLC around 2025ish?

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 02:58:58 pm »
 WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR MINIGAMES! WHAT WITH MATCHMAKING ALL GAMES START SO QUICKLY.......  :P

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 03:57:19 pm »
Not gonna happen, Devs didn't made everything to cut off the waiting time in order to now instal mini-games in lobbies. Would be cool, though. I really like the idea of minigames in a bar/lobby in Adventure Mode, perhaps some kind of DLC around 2025ish?

So basically, who can chug the most Hellfire, in The Burning Skies?

Offline Daft Loon

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 04:50:24 pm »

I'm not sure about betting at the current state of the game. We have an Underdog system, which is either given to whoever has the least crew or the least amount of MMR. Betters might easily gravitate away from them.

I hadn't thought about underdog, it would rather limit any binary betting system. However including odds would help that ex someone offers odds of 10:3 on blue team while red is underdog, anyone thinking of betting would have to decide if those odds were better or worse than thier prediction of the outcome. This would need the rewards to scale with the odds ex you win with 3:1 odds you get the winners hat for 1 game and you opponent gets the loser hat for 1, if you lose you wear the loser hat for 3.

That is true although i think something like paper-scissors-rock would be enough to entertain for a minute or two while still having everyone want to start. Realisticly I'll have to try remember this if we hear anything about changes to the lobby UI being in consideration since that would be the main work to add it.

It is starting to seem like it will be compulsory for muse to make whatever kind of lobby system Adventure mode needs represented by a bar.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »

2025? That's a pretty good time scale! ;)
(if only it were not half serious lol)

Offline DJ Tipz N Trix

• Salutes: 20
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 09:53:37 pm »
I thought we solved this problem already.

And by we...

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 10:00:27 pm »

And by we...

You have any idea of the probabilities of an entire lobby agreeing to a song?

Offline DJ Tipz N Trix

• Salutes: 20
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:44 pm »

And by we...

You have any idea of the probabilities of an entire lobby agreeing to a song?

I do.

uwahahaha

Offline Daft Loon

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:15 pm »

And by we...

But what about the lobbies full of quiet boring people with not a bard in sight  :-\

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 11:29:45 pm »
you know whats an entertaining read?

enemy loadouts and the manual.

in the old lobby wen you needed most of the lobby ready for the timer to start. sure entertaining mini games would work.

right now... I barely got time to even look up enemy loadouts and min max every freaking new noob gunner to change class and get the right tools and ammo.

and by the time I sort that out. I realise too late I got hard countered in the time I got distracted by my crew.