Author Topic: "Newcomer's" impression of the game  (Read 14217 times)

Offline Mannson

• Salutes: 7
    • [DIKC]
    • View Profile
"Newcomer's" impression of the game
« on: July 13, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
Why the quotes there? I don't really find myself as a newcomer or a newbie, more like just got the wetness out of my ears with 60 something hours logged in the game. I find myself in a spot where my new player memories are quite fresh, not dampened or goldenfied by time. This with rudimentary knowledge on how guns, repairing and piloting every ship works to make me.. able crew or pilot made me think I'm in a good spot just to start a thread because..

..Bananas

Before we start off, I'd like to thank this game for showing me that no matter how bad you are at pronouncing english, as long as people understand atleast a word or two to draw a correct conclusion on the message you try deliver, it's alright.. atleast in this game. NOW on impressions on aspects of the game, starting with the most important feature of them all

Community
Okay, GoIo might not have the biggest player base (ATM), but that works in its advantage in my opinion as there's such a high chance you end up playing with same random people sooner or later. That and poorly behaving crew mate or pilot soon finds out their ship won't operate like it is supposed to due poisoned morale.
 Not to mention steampunk type of games DO draw that certain type of people who know it's better to get along especially when you are with peeps in an airship. So, the results are that while in some MMOs newbies, as in people who are still grasping on the game, don't get badmouthed but given advice
  I ran out of fingers trying to count the times I've been given advice or an actual lecture (in a good, helpful sense). Granted, there's bad blood every then and now, but those are very rare. Infact, I have encountered only one toxic person, but even this one apologized after the match as he/she was just having a bad day and losing the game got to him.

Gameplay
There's is room for balancing, that's for sure. Yet despite there being a meta for certain pyrabuild, you can still do quite well with other loadouts and ships. I don't personally feel anything too OP, except when I get outmaneuvered and stunlocked 1-2 ships with hwachas or there is so many flamers on my butt and then again that's my fault for not either bringing chempsray, heat sink or directing my crew to bring such.
 The teamwork is heavy and I like it that way. A well oiled, skilled crew with dependable pilot can turn even most strangest ship loadouts into fiercesome killing machines. Some of the guns are easy to use, some of them hard. The rewards most of the time correspond the skill required.

I find the default encouraged composition of 1 gunner, 2 engis (and pilot, of course) pretty good even though I recognize the sheer survivability third engineer brings, but as a fan of NOT ENUFF DAKKA, having a crew member with flexible ammo loads is something I want in nearly every ship I fly. I do wish there'd be class-exclusive tools or atleast "Half-lochnagar" ammo which would be less of "Break or win" type of ammo, buut that might just be too good.

Ships and guns
For starters, I wish there'd be more ships, but then again the current roster covers quite wide area. We got lumbering warchamines, agile hit'n'runners, jacks of all stats, Towers of doom, flying bricks. I personally have three favorite ships; Galleon, Mobula and Junker because of the amount of dakka they are capable of bringing. Dakka, as in firepower and they're quite robust ships. Yep, even mobula.. it is just too easy to hit.
 I tend to experiment with loadouts alot, some work nicely, some don't. I just don't feel like flying metamidion or quadrahwacha galleons. Crewing them usually tends to be fun though. I do hope we get to see more weaponry, especially heavy weaponry, but still the current selection of  guns does satisfy my dakkaing needs.

Cosmetics
Hat simulator in sky? WHY NOT! My only gripe with cosmetics is that just the male model itself, looking a bit too lanky. Though that's probably to make unisex items more easily implemented. Fully customizable bodies might be A) At the bottom of to-do list B) Not going to happen due mesh stuff or the possibility of way too.. accented skywomen, so it's alright. Atleast the females get to wear clothing appopriate for harsh winds and battering sandstorms, so that's a plus in my book. (Honestly, if I wanted to stare at half naked girls, I'd use the internet for that).
Oh yeah, also the GoIo workshop people churn out pretty cool looking gadgets there, I end up pressing approve button 99% of the time.

So in conclusion, this is definately game worth the money and some extra because I want my cosmetics and I definately gonna keep playing this. Here's hoping the playerbase keeps growing and maintains the good atmosphere.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: "Newcomer's" impression of the game
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 12:21:36 pm »
Hey, thanks for your insight as a new player, and welcome to the skies!

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:09:19 pm »
Welcome to that game. Glad you're here :D

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 06:12:12 pm »
Great review!  Gunner only ammo's might let awkm implement all the crazy ammos he wants without unbalancing the game.  Also, buff hammer for engi only plz!

P.S. you should totally turn that into a steam review!

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:51:32 pm »
Great review!  Gunner only ammo's might let awkm implement all the crazy ammos he wants without unbalancing the game.  Also, buff hammer for engi only plz!

P.S. you should totally turn that into a steam review!

This ^

Also on your note about Lochnagar: Charged ammo holds similar benefits without the damage done to gun, and guns which benefit charged tend to benefit loch. (low clip size etc)

Offline Mannson

• [DIKC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:58:55 am »
On hindsight, this does look more like a review than "thought outloud" post. Well, "Best CoD in the sky, needs moar brown hues though" -11/10 IGN, I guess?

Also on your note about Lochnagar: Charged ammo holds similar benefits without the damage done to gun, and guns which benefit charged tend to benefit loch. (low clip size etc)

Indeed, one musing I had in my head was if loch did the self-damage proportional to the damage of the gun. Like, shoot merc, flak or any of the heavy hitters, the gun takes heavy damage if not instabreaks, but with gats and flamers, you get to shoot atleast half-clip as each bullet gradually churns away the gun HP?

That might make gat a bit too good, I mean.. my thumb of rule in loadouts is "When in doubt, gat", so such change to loch ammo could make gatling gun capable of stripping every ship's armor without reloading, assuming the target is kept in the gradually decreasing gun arcs.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:31:30 am »
Buffed Gatling with greased ammo strips armour very, very effectively. The Gatling gun does not get benefits from a gunner, but an engineer with a buff hammer and greased ammo will do very well.
Have a read of some of the guides here on the forums or look up gun damage and armour values. :)

Offline Hilary Briss

• Salutes: 22
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 01:24:17 pm »
Why the quotes there? I don't really find myself as a newcomer or a newbie, more like just got the wetness out of my ears with 60 something hours logged in the game. I find myself in a spot where my new player memories are quite fresh, not dampened or goldenfied by time. This with rudimentary knowledge on how guns, repairing and piloting every ship works to make me.. able crew or pilot made me think I'm in a good spot just to start a thread because..

..Bananas

Before we start off, I'd like to thank this game for showing me that no matter how bad you are at pronouncing english, as long as people understand atleast a word or two to draw a correct conclusion on the message you try deliver, it's alright.. atleast in this game. NOW on impressions on aspects of the game, starting with the most important feature of them all

Community
Okay, GoIo might not have the biggest player base (ATM), but that works in its advantage in my opinion as there's such a high chance you end up playing with same random people sooner or later. That and poorly behaving crew mate or pilot soon finds out their ship won't operate like it is supposed to due poisoned morale.
 Not to mention steampunk type of games DO draw that certain type of people who know it's better to get along especially when you are with peeps in an airship. So, the results are that while in some MMOs newbies, as in people who are still grasping on the game, don't get badmouthed but given advice
  I ran out of fingers trying to count the times I've been given advice or an actual lecture (in a good, helpful sense). Granted, there's bad blood every then and now, but those are very rare. Infact, I have encountered only one toxic person, but even this one apologized after the match as he/she was just having a bad day and losing the game got to him.

Gameplay
There's is room for balancing, that's for sure. Yet despite there being a meta for certain pyrabuild, you can still do quite well with other loadouts and ships. I don't personally feel anything too OP, except when I get outmaneuvered and stunlocked 1-2 ships with hwachas or there is so many flamers on my butt and then again that's my fault for not either bringing chempsray, heat sink or directing my crew to bring such.
 The teamwork is heavy and I like it that way. A well oiled, skilled crew with dependable pilot can turn even most strangest ship loadouts into fiercesome killing machines. Some of the guns are easy to use, some of them hard. The rewards most of the time correspond the skill required.

I find the default encouraged composition of 1 gunner, 2 engis (and pilot, of course) pretty good even though I recognize the sheer survivability third engineer brings, but as a fan of NOT ENUFF DAKKA, having a crew member with flexible ammo loads is something I want in nearly every ship I fly. I do wish there'd be class-exclusive tools or atleast "Half-lochnagar" ammo which would be less of "Break or win" type of ammo, buut that might just be too good.

Ships and guns
For starters, I wish there'd be more ships, but then again the current roster covers quite wide area. We got lumbering warchamines, agile hit'n'runners, jacks of all stats, Towers of doom, flying bricks. I personally have three favorite ships; Galleon, Mobula and Junker because of the amount of dakka they are capable of bringing. Dakka, as in firepower and they're quite robust ships. Yep, even mobula.. it is just too easy to hit.
 I tend to experiment with loadouts alot, some work nicely, some don't. I just don't feel like flying metamidion or quadrahwacha galleons. Crewing them usually tends to be fun though. I do hope we get to see more weaponry, especially heavy weaponry, but still the current selection of  guns does satisfy my dakkaing needs.

Cosmetics
Hat simulator in sky? WHY NOT! My only gripe with cosmetics is that just the male model itself, looking a bit too lanky. Though that's probably to make unisex items more easily implemented. Fully customizable bodies might be A) At the bottom of to-do list B) Not going to happen due mesh stuff or the possibility of way too.. accented skywomen, so it's alright. Atleast the females get to wear clothing appopriate for harsh winds and battering sandstorms, so that's a plus in my book. (Honestly, if I wanted to stare at half naked girls, I'd use the internet for that).
Oh yeah, also the GoIo workshop people churn out pretty cool looking gadgets there, I end up pressing approve button 99% of the time.

So in conclusion, this is definately game worth the money and some extra because I want my cosmetics and I definately gonna keep playing this. Here's hoping the playerbase keeps growing and maintains the good atmosphere.

For such great insight of what GOIO can bring to any gamer.

You Sir have been Saluted.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 01:27:27 pm »
Buffed gat breaks buffed galleon armor being repaired with mallet in one clip.
http://ducksoficarus.servegame.com/

Lochnagar is balanced for its current use. It's overly complicated to balance loch for guns that don't benefit from a single shot with reduced arm range without affecting its main use.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:30:35 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline DaOrks

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 01:28:05 pm »
Found the word Dakka had to reply.

Offline Mannson

• [DIKC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:07:37 am »
To Pies and Kamoba,
Aand that's why I'm not in the dev team, I'd break the game. Yeah, my idea of loch tweak would be just an OP buff in the end. My other idea is something involving different repair tools shaving off repair CD. As in, repair with mallet, you can shave bit off the CD with spanner or wrench (or only other engi can do that), then there'd be "CD reduction CD" per tool/engi, but once again, it could, would and will break the game.

To Dem Orks
I had to start use that term all thanks to a fight we had in the canyon. I had to tell my crew quickly that whoever shoots first in galleon vs. galleon fight most often wins. So my advice was "Who dakka first, wins the dakka". Not sure if the galleon was of orkish variety or it's ally

3 minutes later when crew had some time to type, one asked "The **** is dakka?", after brief explanation they got on the jist of my combat doctrine; Dakka first, repair later. Thanks to that match I'm using the word regularly while in game.

What I did forget in the first post is that I am in the position of freely experimenting as I don't have the experience or want to min-max the armor and hull destruction capabilities of my ship. So, here's some of my observations that definately are not most optimal choices, but not too bad either.

Burst ammo in gat
-Unlike charged rounds, this doesn't increase DPS, but keeps the gat firing for longer periods of time. I tend to use this occasionally as I find burst ammo very marginal upgrade to gat, but most importantly it brings longer window of sustained fire or supressive fire if you will. This however means the ship does not rely at the gat for the time being burst rounds are loaded.
Also, I swear.. every 3-4 clips, I believe I have hit two or three components with one bullet due the AoE increase. Must have been a hit to gun's base so AoE was sufficient to graze the hull.

Ramming Mobula and CQC Spire
-While considering squishy, I myself find Mobula almost as sturdy as a galleon, just large target so naturally I had to try a harpoon, gats and scyllas on the machine. It was succesful few games when people weren't expecting to be  bumped by it. Took moonshine and impact bracers to ram effectiely. Fun to play but definately way too easy to counter.
-On same vein, extreme close range spire was fun as well. Loading all the short ranged guns, moonshining close and let the dakka begin requires few things to be semi-succesful: A) Cap leaving the wheel B) Good hits to their guns so they can't return fire C) Lack of alert enemies to help the victim of CQC spire. So, once again.. Superfun

Minogalleon
-Two minos and light flak, with a crew possessing good aim you get to witness hilarious sights of ships bopping and weaving out of control and in the event of armor break, engi gets to put notches in their spanner/mallet/wrench.

Towingsquid
-When I first flew a squid, I decided "Hey, I'll toss a harpoon in the back", my friend was like, "Are you mad?" I thought it was a rhetorical question. So, after spending half of the game to get a clue of its size so I won't hit the scenery. We had fun time with one AI engi hooking galleons with the harpoon.. when their left side was bared to us. Every time.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 06:21:11 am »
Harpoon squids are a legit fun thing to play.
Minotaur galleons are fun to wind up the enemy, but very ineffective..
Also I'd advise Hades instead of light flak, the Hades does a great damage output and puts great pressure on the enemy. A single Hades can be very effective.

Taken from "The book of Dementio" Mobula OP! Ramming Mobula are great, so long as you have a good crew that are aware of what's going on, on the ship. :)

As for burst in Gatling: If sustained fire is what you're after, burst is still a poor choice, Heat sink will give you sustained fire. Burst is more efficient for weapons which will benefit from more AOE (Hwacha and Artemis for example)

Though I do like that you're experimenting :)

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 06:25:29 am »
Taken from "The book of Dementio" Mobula OP! Ramming Mobula are great, so long as you have a good crew that are aware of what's going on, on the ship. :)

O_O WHERE CAN I FIND THIS BOOK!  8)

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 07:00:47 am »
The book of Dementio is similar to the Necronomicon, you must find it..

Maybe you'll find clues to its location in the Dementio wikipedia page?

Offline DaOrks

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 03:19:36 pm »
To Pies and Kamoba,
Aand that's why I'm not in the dev team, I'd break the game. Yeah, my idea of loch tweak would be just an OP buff in the end. My other idea is something involving different repair tools shaving off repair CD. As in, repair with mallet, you can shave bit off the CD with spanner or wrench (or only other engi can do that), then there'd be "CD reduction CD" per tool/engi, but once again, it could, would and will break the game.

To Dem Orks
I had to start use that term all thanks to a fight we had in the canyon. I had to tell my crew quickly that whoever shoots first in galleon vs. galleon fight most often wins. So my advice was "Who dakka first, wins the dakka". Not sure if the galleon was of orkish variety or it's ally

3 minutes later when crew had some time to type, one asked "The **** is dakka?", after brief explanation they got on the jist of my combat doctrine; Dakka first, repair later. Thanks to that match I'm using the word regularly while in game.

What I did forget in the first post is that I am in the position of freely experimenting as I don't have the experience or want to min-max the armor and hull destruction capabilities of my ship. So, here's some of my observations that definately are not most optimal choices, but not too bad either.

Burst ammo in gat
-Unlike charged rounds, this doesn't increase DPS, but keeps the gat firing for longer periods of time. I tend to use this occasionally as I find burst ammo very marginal upgrade to gat, but most importantly it brings longer window of sustained fire or supressive fire if you will. This however means the ship does not rely at the gat for the time being burst rounds are loaded.
Also, I swear.. every 3-4 clips, I believe I have hit two or three components with one bullet due the AoE increase. Must have been a hit to gun's base so AoE was sufficient to graze the hull.

Ramming Mobula and CQC Spire
-While considering squishy, I myself find Mobula almost as sturdy as a galleon, just large target so naturally I had to try a harpoon, gats and scyllas on the machine. It was succesful few games when people weren't expecting to be  bumped by it. Took moonshine and impact bracers to ram effectiely. Fun to play but definately way too easy to counter.
-On same vein, extreme close range spire was fun as well. Loading all the short ranged guns, moonshining close and let the dakka begin requires few things to be semi-succesful: A) Cap leaving the wheel B) Good hits to their guns so they can't return fire C) Lack of alert enemies to help the victim of CQC spire. So, once again.. Superfun

Minogalleon
-Two minos and light flak, with a crew possessing good aim you get to witness hilarious sights of ships bopping and weaving out of control and in the event of armor break, engi gets to put notches in their spanner/mallet/wrench.

Towingsquid
-When I first flew a squid, I decided "Hey, I'll toss a harpoon in the back", my friend was like, "Are you mad?" I thought it was a rhetorical question. So, after spending half of the game to get a clue of its size so I won't hit the scenery. We had fun time with one AI engi hooking galleons with the harpoon.. when their left side was bared to us. Every time.

Good to know the Orkiness is spreading.