Author Topic: Double XP Weekend?  (Read 21385 times)

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Double XP Weekend?
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:37:36 am »
Just a thought. Would also bring players back online that have been inactive. The technique is used by big game designers, such as the makers or COD, Battlefield and Heroes and Generals. ( Not a big game, but a good example. )

Any thoughts? :D

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Double XP Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:02:45 am »
Poeple are already gainig levels too fast. I see the point of "hey, come in to GOIO, we have something extra" to draw people in, but exp isn't good way to go here. Perhaps some small competition where you can win free items? But then again, you have DevGames.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:15 am »
Poeple are already gainig levels too fast. I see the point of "hey, come in to GOIO, we have something extra" to draw people in, but exp isn't good way to go here. Perhaps some small competition where you can win free items? But then again, you have DevGames.
Gotta agree with disaster here. Noobs are getting out of novice, to fast as it is. Anyways, there isn't much benefit to levels to begin with.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:53 am »
Although levels shouldn't be the focus of the game, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Levels only give cosmetics and bragging rights anyway, and isn't an indicator of skill. I think this is a much better idea and alternative to achievement grinding - currently the fastest way to level and is often detrimental to teamwork. I agree, however, that novices should not benefit from double XP events.

Let's discuss this a little, and if you feel confident of this idea, send Muse a well thought out feedback email.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:42:48 am »
The fastest way to level is to win games, which promotes teamwork.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:29:03 am »
I'm actually on the fence about this....
Because while I agree that levels are, as ZanC said, only beneficial for cosmetics I also agree with Disaster...

Added to this that although Levels are in no way a good indicator of skill, they are the first thing many people look at...
Many times I've heard players complain that the enemy team is stacked with all "high levels!" Shortly before running out of the lobby in fear, even though the "high levels" were no one to be scared of and would have been quite an easy match..

So keeping into account that its only really the forum users who judge skill based on actions, not levels... Outside the forums the "majority" will look at levels, I think its not such a good idea...

The problem being a small player base, all with maxed levels would not help during sale periods... At least now there are still mid level players to fill the gap between novice and level cap...
Without that mid level set of players, the game appears too intimidating to new players...

Also you quoted that its done in COD....
COD markets entirely to the mainstream market, the game which pits teams of people against each other, but rewards the individual. The game which makes people feel good with a pat on the back and an ego stroke any time they manage a lucky shot... The game which if you are actually good at it, you will have a lot of players screaming and shouting and even PMing you you abuse.and calling you a hacker. The entire mentality is that players are rewarded so much when they do very little that they are lulled into a false sense that they're not useless... So when they do meet players who are better than them, the weak minded masses that play the game break down and cry, scream and shout.
That's why I stopped playing, I got sick to death of the sheer volume of abuse I received from idiot sheep who couldn't handle loosing...

Wow that's a rant and half... My overall point..
Guns of Icarus does not sell to the mainstream audience, and the less we look like call of duty the better.

Oh also the games which offer extra exp weekends very often run systems where you can reset your levels (or prestige.)
Guns of Icarus does not do that... So a double exp weekend would lead to a thousand or two thousand people playing during the weekends on exp days, reaching max level then never returning, claiming they "beat the game bruh"

Honestly I would rather see the level cap raised and maybe some more emphasis around Dev matches...

I was on the fence when I started this post but convinced myself I dont think I'd like to see this....

BUT!

I do like your way of thinking, discussing ideas to increase player retention is always good :)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:37:49 am »
You know what...at this point I'm already seeing level 25 pilots that fly into the edge of the map, reverse and full speed their galleon for the remainder on a tour of the birds of the fjords, so whatever, go for it...

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:42:44 am »
You know what...at this point I'm already seeing level 25 pilots that fly into the edge of the map, reverse and full speed their galleon for the remainder on a tour of the birds of the fjords, so whatever, go for it...

I've seen a level 12 go on a Fjords adventure (breaking the map edge) and a level 30 take an all lumberjack Galleon while claiming he could control engagement distance, against a pair of goldfish...
So the best of both worlds... Oh and Ceresbane found the prestige button, so I've seen it all...

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 02:31:02 pm »

I've seen a level 12 go on a Fjords adventure (breaking the map edge) and a level 30 take an all lumberjack Galleon while claiming he could control engagement distance, against a pair of goldfish...
So the best of both worlds... Oh and Ceresbane found the prestige button, so I've seen it all...
He also found the button to only play helm as a gunner. :P

I do agree that it would get peoples levels up to fast, but maybe it should be the novice system that needs to be nerfed.

Nobody agrees with me here, but in my mind, novices are level 30+. Yes, that means I only just got out of novice... with one class xD

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 03:36:52 pm »
My crew did pretty decently in a tournament with all of us as level 20s. There was a skill difference, but not much of a knowledge one. It's anecdotal, and I people's experiences will differ, but I don't think you can really be considered a novice, generally past 20. By then you should know what everything does, generally, or at least have refined one thing really well.

What novice should mean is you're still learning how the game works. What tool to use, what to prioritize, ammo types, arcs, and where to be. That should last until about level 10 or so. After that, you're refining reflexes, skills, and decision making.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:40:27 pm by DrTentacles »

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »
I consider novices below lvl 20. If your lvl is over 20, I expect you to know what your doing.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 03:50:34 pm »
I consider novices below lvl 20. If your lvl is over 20, I expect you to know what your doing.
I have seen many level 30+ gunners ( Rinntaq ) shoot a galleon at 200M using heavy and miss every single bullet. It really does depend on the player, but in the general scheme I judge players level 30 and below to still not know things such as chem loops, when to go on the hull when playing gungineer and so on.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 03:57:37 pm »
I have seen many level 30+ gunners ( Rinntaq ) shoot a galleon at 200M using heavy and miss every single bullet. It really does depend on the player, but in the general scheme I judge players level 30 and below to still not know things such as chem loops, when to go on the hull when playing gungineer and so on.
You have much lower expectations than I. I expect a level 20 to know that. Along with if they know they aren't good on a certain gun.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 03:59:17 pm »
You have much lower expectations than I. I expect a level 20 to know that. Along with if they know they aren't good on a certain gun.
Aye. I am so very kind   :P

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 04:00:19 pm »

Rinn missing? You must have made him miss.

He's lumbered targets 1km away while I hard clawed into arc. from edge of arc to stabilised, 3 hits and pop.

in anycase... double exp is a dumb idea. its not the kind of game that requires levels to matter. its purely aesthetic. hence why the discussion here of non noob level is so arbitrary. but fyi its lvl 30 where noobs become less idiotic and know when to fix parts. Not neccesarily know chem patterns or know when to buff or give arcs. But they can point a meta the right way and maintain an arc.

Why play so basic at a high lvl? because the game has a lvl inflation problem. People do not "earn" the levels like the old system did (it had its flaws yes)

If muse wants more of the inactive players back. more maps. more modes. This game was sold by its gameplay. So play on that strength and give MORE GAME TO PLAY. even considering this a prospect is a  show of clear lack of understanding on what kept players playing.

What do you guys think of a merit leveling system? Not as in achieves where one is locked until they finish that specific achieve.

But instead you only gain exp via wins. and the exp is 500 or below 2 v 2 giving tiny exp like 100 or even 50. Win exp via the following. match type (bigger the scale bigger the reward), cp gives bonus exp for points difference, same with kill death in dm.

2 v 2=100
3 v 3=300
4 v 4=500
bonus
points difference in death match=10 per kill more than deaths
points difference in cp=1 per 10 (to the nearest ten) points more than the other team.

win streak exp bonus. maxing out to 3x only. 2 wins 1x, 3 wins 2x, 4+wins 3x.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:13:44 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »