Author Topic: Fixed day  (Read 14188 times)

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Fixed day
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:10 am »
Hey Guys,

I want your input on how we are doing these training days. Currently, we are on a rotating day each week. For example:

Week #1 = Monday
Week #2 = Tuesday
Week #3 = Wednesday

and so on. This is making organizing enough experienced players to help difficult. I'm toying with the idea of just making a static day for simplicity.

Thoughts?

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed day
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:26:32 am »
we should probaly do this for EU too.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:36:46 am »
seems a nice idea

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
If you pick the right day, I can actually schedule it and show up regularly. Currently I just forget and then get busy on the day of, heh.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:48 am »
lol... so that leads to another question... what's the right day for this? I believe Ataris is thinking about Wednesday....

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:36:13 am »
Wednesday is a bit tangled for me, but I'm from the EU guys. If it's at 8 PM, no chance, that's when my Spanish course ends. (Was moved from Tuesday to Wednesday) If it's at 9 PM, like this week, that's just when I get home from Spanish, so no problem.

Maybe we should set up some Doodles for planning it?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:37:55 am by Kyren »

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:23 pm »
Eh, Wednesday is good for me, as I've got training Tuesdays and Thursdays (EU Guy here). As long as it is around 9PM that would also be beneficial for me. I could do Mondays and perhaps Fridays at that time.

Hmm, I'm unsure about the switching day thing, being as disorganised as I am.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »
Maybe we should set up some Doodles for planning it?

I believe that we do need to get together and plan this out fully... not sure when we could meet

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »
If talking about EU Training then Wednesday-Friday are good for me.
Wednesday is the most comfortable, as i can plan some real-life events freely, but if you decide to set on any other of mentioned days i'll take part too

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »
monday- wednesday best for me, but there is no reason we should limit it to once per week if we get enough tutors.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 11:41:21 pm »
So it sounds like general consensus is Wednesday, but maybe push it back an hour. Also, Skrim is absolutely correct, if this day does not work for you, you can always start something up on the day that you are available :)

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 03:43:43 am »
Yeah, let's work with Wednesday for now. Depending on how many players we get on the Wednesday Trainings, we'll surely be able to judge how many extra days per week we need :P

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 04:03:29 pm »
Agreed. Probably some of us would be able to help on this secound day too, not only on Wednesdays

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:17 pm »
To be blunt, I think just having training whenever the hell someone feels like it will probably do more than a weekly thing.  A bunch of unscheduled and chaotic sessions is going to reach more people than one scheduled weekly session.  Only the most dedicated of new players are actually going to bother researching these training days and be there at the specified time and those players are the ones who would probably learn even without the sessions.  Everyone else is just there because they happened to be online at the time, you're more likely to catch the most unique interested individuals simply by having the sessions at as many different peak hours as possible, they're not going to pencil a training game into their schedule ahead of time.

No harm in having both obviously, but you have to question whether the number of people you're helping is worth the effort you're putting into being there on time for these scheduled games or if it'd be better for you to just coach new players whenever you get a chance in pickup games and just not worry about any commitments.  This is speaking from experience running a similar training program for another game, scheduled training sessions can burn out even the most dedicated instructors very rapidly and there's a high turnover rate over the months.  A "when you can" model with a focus on recruiting instructors from different timezones puts a lot less strain on your very limited human resources.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 05:11:32 am »
To be blunt, I think just having training whenever the hell someone feels like it will probably do more than a weekly thing.  A bunch of unscheduled and chaotic sessions is going to reach more people than one scheduled weekly session.  Only the most dedicated of new players are actually going to bother researching these training days and be there at the specified time and those players are the ones who would probably learn even without the sessions.  Everyone else is just there because they happened to be online at the time, you're more likely to catch the most unique interested individuals simply by having the sessions at as many different peak hours as possible, they're not going to pencil a training game into their schedule ahead of time.

No harm in having both obviously, but you have to question whether the number of people you're helping is worth the effort you're putting into being there on time for these scheduled games or if it'd be better for you to just coach new players whenever you get a chance in pickup games and just not worry about any commitments.  This is speaking from experience running a similar training program for another game, scheduled training sessions can burn out even the most dedicated instructors very rapidly and there's a high turnover rate over the months.  A "when you can" model with a focus on recruiting instructors from different timezones puts a lot less strain on your very limited human resources.

we advertise a lot in the chat when the game goes up, having a fixed day, makes it easier for us to make sure we have at least 2 hours to help the new players.

If a new player approaches me outside the training sessions and asks me to help him, I will.

this is just starting, MUSE started showing a growing interest 1 week ago. We now only need to contact either keyvias or Bubbles and ask them to advertise on their various pages.

At some point if we show them that we can do this, It can be advertised ingame perhaps.