Author Topic: Gunner class is a bit underwhelming?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Pomalo D'Estyr

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Gunner class is a bit underwhelming?
« on: July 05, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »
Hi!

I wanted to bring up the fact that on a LOT of ships, gunners are not very useful. They get to carry 3 ammo types and reload a tad faster.

There are a few guns/ships strategy that require multiple ammo type, but on a lot of set up, the benefit of switching ammo type is not as great as having 3 engineers that can chem spray, buff and repair your ship.

A lot of experienced captains fly mostly 3 engineers.

I'd suggest to buff a bit the class to make it appealing again. Maybe a reduction in jitter, a default faster reload time, increased damages, or something?

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Gunner class is a bit underwhelming?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 02:33:24 pm »
Firstly I just want to say, wow, you'll do well in this community with how fast you're learning :)

Secondly, as much as I agree that engineers are more efficient than gunners on most set ups, I wouldn't want to see a gunner buff....

I play mostly novice matches to teach and pub matches now days and very often I find it hard enough to explain why two gunners is a bad idea because so many unexperienced players assume a gunner is better...
If gunners got buffed it would make playing with pubs dangerously annoying...

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »
Firstly I just want to say, wow, you'll do well in this community with how fast you're learning :)

Secondly, as much as I agree that engineers are more efficient than gunners on most set ups, I wouldn't want to see a gunner buff....

I play mostly novice matches to teach and pub matches now days and very often I find it hard enough to explain why two gunners is a bad idea because so many unexperienced players assume a gunner is better...

Why so?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:04:21 pm »
Gunner stamina is the slowest regenerating stamina. Gunner stamina is somewhat balanced compared to buff engi in that it provides extra arcs and faster reload, but it doesn't last long (6.5 seconds) and refills too slowly. The passive regen rate should be increased. Another option is to increase stamina quantity to benefit longer reload guns while keeping the current (or slightly buffed) regen rate. Gunner stamina is good, but the slow regen and quantity make it weak.

Gunners don't need a passive ability when the real issue is gun buffs. There are 3 options for gun buffs: change bonus (ex. 20% to 10%), change duration, and change the time it takes to buff. Right now it's easy to keep perpetual buffs up and to get a gun buffed after it has been destroyed. The simpler and more balanced option is to change gun buffs rather than gunners.

I never bring gunners except for mine launchers and meta galleon. Always spanner mallet buff. Gunners shouldn't be altogether superior to buff engineers because buff engi are higher skill and the next step up. There is however a huge gap that can be reduced. The options are changing gun buffs or increasing gunner stamina.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:14:51 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 05:00:47 pm »

Why so?

"one gunner change to engineer please, you will struggle to keep up with the repairs."
"Yeah but gunners do more damage so screw you bruh!"

Actual quote from many lobbies which normally results to me eventually finding another lobby.

Now imagine gunners get buffed, getting a single engineer on a ship would be tough..

Although pies suggestions are good, stamina balancing still needs a bit of work...

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 05:31:18 pm »

Why so?

"one gunner change to engineer please, you will struggle to keep up with the repairs."
"Yeah but gunners do more damage so screw you bruh!"

Actual quote from many lobbies which normally results to me eventually finding another lobby.

Now imagine gunners get buffed, getting a single engineer on a ship would be tough..

Although pies suggestions are good, stamina balancing still needs a bit of work...

If gunner had more repair power then that wouldnt be such a bad thing unless you were running triple gunners. Then fire damage would have real, guaranteed use.