Author Topic: Sunday Community Skirmish #58 (Signups for Sunday July 5th)  (Read 23424 times)

Offline -Anakin-

• Salutes: 47
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday Community Skirmish #58 (Signups for Sunday July 5th)
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 05:48:04 pm »
Having played a few fact finding matches with Ayetach and others earlier, there are a significant number of bugs and balance issues on this map - especially for the blue team. Invisible tar, invisible heavy guns and hit markers on those guns, flare issues...

I strongly advocate that it be left out of the rolls this week until muse can address these problems.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

Bracket:http://goiocommunity.challonge.com/SCS58
Map Rolls:http://pastebin.com/mvvPsE8B

We will be keeping Clash at Blackcliff in the rotation, and if any bugs occur that make either team feel that the match should be throw out and restarted, then we'll move the match to a different map. I'm hoping that won't happen, but we're prepared to make the proper accommodations if need be.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 06:12:30 pm »
Having played a few fact finding matches with Ayetach and others earlier, there are a significant number of bugs and balance issues on this map - especially for the blue team. Invisible tar, invisible heavy guns and hit markers on those guns, flare issues...

I strongly advocate that it be left out of the rolls this week until muse can address these problems.

Surely these don't show up only in the new map, it hardly sounds like a map specific problem. If it is, that is extremely odd.

Offline -Anakin-

• Salutes: 47
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 06:29:52 pm »
I'm hoping that won't happen, but we're prepared to make the proper accommodations if need be.

How about instead of making accommodations in the event something happens, you avoid the risk of something happening at all? A lot of the bugs I've seen are pretty minor, but added together they could give a team a serious disadvantage. We have a ton of maps that work, let's just use those. Especially as in the rolls, we're on the previously mentioned buggy blue team. I strongly, strongly object.

Offline SteamyNoodle

• Salutes: 17
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 06:44:14 pm »
I fail to understand the logic behind including a map with multiple reported bugs, before they have had a chance to be addressed, on the understanding that matches may have to be thrown out.  It seems like infinitely less headache for everyone involved to just re-do the map rolls with blackcliff thrown out for now.  I'm not aware of any other competitive game where major content patches are included in tournament play 3 days after going live.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:46:49 pm by SteamyNoodle »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 07:16:45 pm »
'Cause it's fun. I like new maps, you guys like new maps, the community as a whole like new maps. We want to see it get some play. We had some people do some testing this afternoon and we couldn't replicate any game breaking bugs, so hopefully that means the reports are over exaggerated or they're rare enough to not be an issue (hopefully). I see no issue in including it in the rotation and seeing what happens

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 07:55:58 pm »
I agree and I'd like to see it in competitive play. They're friendly matches.

Offline Tfaltys

• Salutes: 10
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 08:03:52 pm »
Considering the recent SCS signup trends I also think round robin sounds like an interesting idea but as for the new map... Even though the developers should have addressed all major issues by now it still seems more reasonable to allow for some post-release feedback because clearly there's always a chance for bugs to make it through. Indeed why not just eliminate the possibility of "Something happening" until we're certain. Whilst it's true that we like new maps, the new map is being played in pub matches very often already (for the overall "getting play" factor) and it just doesn't seem like a big effort to give it some more time before bringing it to competitive.

Offline SteamyNoodle

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 10:21:53 pm »
After losing a match by 7 seconds on a time technicality I'm not sure I have the same laissez faire approach to the rules :P.

But if it's what we're gonna play it's what we're gonna play.  If it's buggy hopefully it will at least be equitably buggy.

Offline Mysterious Medic

• Salutes: 35
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 12:00:19 am »
I think it's also kind of important to understand the original purpose of the Sunday Rumble (and the SCS) was to have a casual and slightly competitive tournament and experiment on things. The new format for double elimination was an experiment, and in the SCS you don't have to be super serious and only take predictable builds. Trust me, I understand that the SCS (and Sunday Rumble) can become extremely competitive and the idea of "casual" can and inevitably will lose focus in your mind while crewing or piloting, but we do have to remember that one of the important reasons for the Sunday Rumble's existence was to have a less serious event than the Saturday Box Social. Granted, when the SCS came about there was no weekly Saturday event besides the occasional tournaments, still the purpose of the SCS was never really to be the most supreme hardcore and official competitive icarus tournament there ever was. For that reason I see it as a good tournament to use for testing of new maps like Clash at Blackcliff. However, the lack of any serious tournament in the foreseeable future makes the whole "testing" of such a map pointless as we're not really "testing" for anything. I've wanted to post and maybe even help concerning the making of another more serious Saturday tournament, but considering the drought in teams lately I was kind of dreading the negative feedback for such an event as many would probably prefer getting the SCS to a comfortable team pool before starting another tournament that would need more responsibilities for casters, referees, and teams which seems to be a problem lately. Regardless, I hope things go well and the new map brings some interesting things into play.

Offline SteamyNoodle

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 01:33:37 am »
the most supreme hardcore and official competitive icarus tournament there ever was.

I mean at his point it's literally the only one left, so it kind of is.

But yeah I get that it's not supposed to be super serious, I still don't get why that means we should include maps that are known to have substantial issues.  We're not testing anything, we know that the map is bugged.  I don't have more fun playing on bugged maps.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:47:28 am by SteamyNoodle »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 05:01:32 am »
if any bugs occur that make either team feel that the match should be throw out and restarted, then we'll move the match to a different map.

obviously if your team feels like muse fucked you up, then the match will be restarted on  a different map :)

and no you havent played in a hardcore competitive event yet. SCS is not on the same level of hephaestus that was a proper tournament, compared to weekly signup and play while being drunk.

Offline SteamyNoodle

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 10:44:13 am »
and no you havent played in a hardcore competitive event yet. SCS is not on the same level of hephaestus that was a proper tournament, compared to weekly signup and play while being drunk.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that.  My point was, mostly jokingly, that it is the most super srs bsns try hard competitive event in virtue of being at this point the only one left.  It's also the least hardcore event, the most purple event, and the event that listens to the most frank sinatra, so.  /shrug

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 11:32:03 am »
http://youtu.be/SLC5AGGHLz0

nout wrong with a bit o' Franky!

Offline Lueosi

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »
The stream will be on http://twitch.tv/gotcow with Gorgon and Brick Hardcastle.

I will referee todays matches.