Author Topic: Explain your Username!  (Read 42809 times)

Offline Zelda.

• Salutes: 10
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Explain your Username!
« on: June 27, 2015, 06:57:42 am »
I checked through the other topics in this section and saw that no one has done this yet.

So for those of you like me who are super curious, explain your username and if you've had any name changes and why :)

I'll start.

So my original username used to be MissZeldaCraft (yes it makes me cringe so much) which is a mash up of Legend of Zelda and Minecraft, if you couldn't tell :P This name was very quickly made up after I fell in love with Minecraft and my obsession for Zelda games.

But after a while I got bored of it and used my first name change! I then became what most people know me as: Welsh Zelda.

I am Welsh, and totally proud of it, but boy did I underestimated how many sheep jokes I'd be getting. So, after a good half year of being the Welsh Zelda, I finally used my last name change and changed it to just - Zelda -

Your turn :D

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Explain your Username!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:23:02 am »
The Mann.

Need I say more?  :P

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 07:51:28 am »
Many many (oh so many!) years ago, back when I started to get involved with Ultima Online Roleplay, I needed a character name for a young fencer training to be a guardsman, one of my favourite films at the time was the Princess Bride, I didn't want to pick Westley or Roberts outright as I knew the connection would be too easily seen, so I tried to think of the names listed by Westley as pirates names who were once the Dread Pirate Roberts..
One of the names being Cummerbund, I mis-heard as Kamoba and thus Kamoba was born.
Raising through the ranks in the Brittanian guard from recruit to man at arms, guardsman, sergeant and then Recruitment officer and trainer (which made me recruitment officer and events organiser ooc too) before Kamoba's in character disappearance. He travelled through a magical black moongate while chasing a rival factions swordsman the gate was then shut behind him, many presumed Kamoba dead, but all this story line did was allow me to use the same character in various other games.

Since then Kamoba has made appearances in other Roleplay games, and larp events, either with the above acted out back story and with different back stories.
He was a mischievous orphan in a short story which inspired the creation of a "sim" on Second Life, the forest of Chackryn.
He was a cowardly alchemist in Skullduggery Larp who met a very heroic end, sacrificing himself to save many others.
And currently he is a Guns of Icarus pilot, formally a Fjord Baronies pilot, his galleon "The Cealum Lumbus was shot down by Anglean raiders during a routine border patrol, Kamoba and his crew survived and from the wreckage they rebuilt the Cealum Lumbus into The Sky Slicer. Much more inbetween stories happened and now the Sky Slicer is piloted by Kamoba, but with much Lovcraftion Mythos inspiration. (the story is a WIP still :) )

Other characters I've been known as:
Groar Bearbreaker, orc Shaman of the Gor Angir clan ar LARP, banisher of the pretender dopplegangers and general bad ass, fathered Half Goblin half Orcs with a Goblin who still RPs the goblin and even has two people playing the Gob Orcs now, years after the RP which led to this took place.
Groar Bearbreaker was also the name I used for my pvp orc in Lord of the rings online, and world of Warcraft.

Kaldaka, the word Kaldaka is the Drow (dark elf) word for Wolf, Kaldaka was a wolf beastkin at larp who, at roughly 220 years old, completed a suicidal rescue mission to save a fellow beastkin from an uncountable amount of undead, the mission was a complete success as the beastkin comrade was saved and Kaldaka also died, winning a most heroic death award that year.
However later on I played the part of a character named Vilk (Polish translation for Wolf but using V instead of W) Vilk was a human who was raised in the woods by a group of druids/beastkin/fae. He was socially awkward but very loyal and knew how to fight and do rituals. One event led Vilk and the other larpers characters to a time machine, Vilk and two other mages followed the plot pretty intently.. At one point when about 200 years to the playerbase past, the time machine (a ritualistic time machine, don't think tardis) was not performing too well with undead about, so Vilk locked the player base inside the ritual circle and created a distraction against the attackers, the players travelled onto their present leaving Vilk in the past.
So games of chance with the ref team led to the final story of Vilk surviving his mission and escaping the undead, he then performed a ritual to make himself immortal, but also unrecognisable from the people he would meet up with again in the future, turning himself into an un-aging wolf beastkin, because his loyalty to one player made him determined to see her again and keep her safe, and that was the birth of Kaldaka, see above..

One last character I played at Larp, Juri Pashalsta, he started as a character just for one event, a Russian experimental mage, went on to survive many events until one day he performed a ritual which went wrong, he managed to travel between various dimensions in the span of a few seconds and then a magical boom happened, lots of plot stuff came from the damage he had done in this experiment, but all the players ever found were his boots, which thanks to the help of pyrotechnic friend, were smoking.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:14:22 am »
I like to be the one on the offensive in most games. I like creating Carnage, so minus the last three letters and you have Carn. Plus I read that name in a book and liked the sound of it.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:23:16 am »
Was BlackenedSkies when I was stoned and couldn't think of a name. Changed to BlackenedPies 3500 matches later when I was baked because it's a better name.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:36:17 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:29:24 am »
I am known as Underthemoon in other places, or simply as Moon. I was a writer (considered one of the best), and wrote "all things under the moon". I chopped off Under, reduced 'the' to 'Le', and dropped on my real name.

Pretty simple story.

Offline Steve CZ

• Salutes: 21
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 06:31:25 pm »
My name is Štěpán, Steve in English. Hooray for my originality \o/ (and CZ is Czech national tag for those who can't tell)

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 07:10:08 pm »
I wanted something close to my steam name at the time, which was Ranger Ulman, and somehow I wound up with this name. I sincerely don't know where it came from. It is not a form of pasta, and I had never heard the Mr. Roboto song, I still haven't.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 07:16:48 pm »
It sounded cool, works for many genres, and keeps my shadowy theme.

Offline DaOrks

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 07:21:28 pm »
Cause Orks. Der aint no betta reason!

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 07:39:49 pm »
I decided to make myself a helmet once from some aluminium sheets and bits of iron from an old chair i think. Because of that helmet and as a pun on Dark Helmet from spaceballs i named myself Daft Helmet in minecraft. While playing minecraft with a mod that let you build movable airships (because of implementation etc not as awesome as it sounds) i built one and named it the Daftloon I - Daft + balloon. When i started playing Guns of Icarus i used Daft Helmsman as my name and named my ships all Daftloon (V through to XI, guessing how many times i had built the Daftloon in minecraft and starting after that). After playing for a while i decided to rename my ships to something more interesting and changed my name to Daft Loon in honor of the old names.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »
My last name is Niederberger. First one to build the logic chain wins internet cookies.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 08:08:10 pm »
My name is Sparky and my DJ name is Anglerfish.  I mushed them together into the portmanteau "sparklerfish".

I can't really explain why it's all lowercase.  I just feel like usernames should be, I guess.  I'm all lowercase on Steam too and everywhere else I have that username.

Offline VomAct

• Salutes: 11
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 09:03:13 pm »
VomAct is a family name that comes up in several of Cordwainer Smith's short stories (if you haven't read any Cordwainer Smith, I highly recommend it).  Characters that carry the name include the last leader of a cybernetically disenhanced race, a malevolent scientist, and three ruthless and despotic sisters that found the largest and longest lasting government in the history of mankind.

I also took my other main online name from another of his stories, this time from a personality scanned into an electronic form, the Lady Panc Ashash.

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 11:23:09 pm »
My name stems from a player in game joke that started with the tabletop role-playing game 7th Sea. One of my players characters was named Jeffery Marlowe, a wisecracking swashbuckling thief with a terrifyingly bad cockney accent. Easily one of the best characters we had in a game, so from there my significant other has taken it as a default last name for many characters, I myself keeping with the trend. There is now a family tree of Marlowes that span from 7th Sea to d20 Starwars to D&D to various video games on top of that. So being in a steam punk game, we kept with it.

Sarabelle comes from a combo of some of my favorite characters growing up, Belle from Beauty and the Beast (if anyone tries to make a Twilight reference I will impale you with a loch round and shoot you from my heavy flack as an example to others) and Seras Victoria from the anime Hellsing. The spelling is tweaked, but all together just seemed to flow nicely.