Author Topic: Novice mode  (Read 14006 times)

Offline Megabear

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Novice mode
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 07:58:16 pm »
So far so good.  No teacher and winning more than I lose.  I've had success with sniping Spire and Goldfish so far, more with Goldfish.  As mentioned in previous posts I was mindful of terrain and game mechanics.  With Goldfish I go in heavy and fast, first run is usually a strafe.  I try to flank as much as I can and also rotate front gun with port/starboard guns depending on whether I want to take out the shield of disable them.  If I'm the focus of firepower I run and blow out the engines to halfway or 3/4 and use terrain/cloud as cover to lose spotting or simply block enemy attacks.  I can't always run but I usually do.  While I run my allies are attacking them from behind and depending on the situation I'd turn around and join the fight all of sudden.  Against Spires I fly high and attack their balloons first, against others I try to fly low and encircle them.  Against Mobula I try to flank/disable them.  I know how annoying that can be, having been inside Mobula many times as an engineer.  With Spire I ask teammates to let the enemies come to us, rather than us to them and snipe away.  I did lose when enemies came through cover and somehow ended up flanking us.  I can't believe no one spotted them until they were in our face.  Anyway this game is turning out to be a lot easier than I had anticipated.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:00:23 pm by Megabear »

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Novice mode
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:27 pm »
Few pointers I like to share that I took during playing time:

Anyone can jump on the helm and fly a ship around. The other task of a captain is communicating with your crew mates on where they need to direct their efforts during the fight and to communicate with your fellow ally ships so you both can come up with a plan of attack or to help each other out when things don't go your way.

Half the battle is the preparation in the lobby. Know your ship and what it can do, know your weapons and which ones work well together and load out accordingly. Examining enemy ships by clicking on its name. It tells you a lot on what they will do when the game begins. Communicate how you plan on playing and get your crew mates to gear up the appropriate kit. Ships and weapons aren't perfect and they have weaknesses. You'll know them as you get more experience or when you make contact with a experienced opponent. Seeing an experienced opponent captain only shows half the picture. It is the experience of the opponent crew members that determine how effectively they will execute their captains plan. So make good use of the time in the lobby. You don't want to lose before the game even started.

While you may graduate from novice matches at lvl8 I suggest you stick with engineer or gunner till you do 50 games with the kit. Because you can learn a lot while crewing for both good and bad captains. Also because we always need better engineers in the player base. Gunners who can shoot straight are also an asset too. Good captains will put the ship in a good position for gunners to shine while keeping relatively out of harms way so engineers don't become overwhelmed with repairs.

One more thing tho, don't give up. a lot of good captains out there will be tenacious and will fight to the bitter end or find an advantage in a dire situation and turn things around