Author Topic: So, about the dev matches...  (Read 11442 times)

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
So, about the dev matches...
« on: June 20, 2015, 05:55:59 pm »
It was fun, but I had a few problems with it.

The most obvious one is how starting your three matches (assuming you never win) with a bad captain can completly bone you for every rematch (you'll probably lose each one).
It also didn't help that the first match started with the Muse team loading two full boats. Possibly stacked matches asides, is this whole "stuck with a total donker" issue actually fixable?
Vote out captains between matches? Nope, Muse is strictly against any vote based exclusion. 
Send players to a dev-match specific lobby where they can recrew onto teams? Seems like a lot of effort for it, programming wise.
I guess that condensed, I am finding it disheartening how vs developer matches, a chance for players to tast their SKILL vs the devs, can be screwed from the start by the pure essence of LUCK.

So, is the only solution to join as a pre-made team of competence? With people you know you play well with? Actually, can you even join as a team with one click?
What are ya'all's feelings about this thing? I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or what to think. Just my 2 cents.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: So, about the dev matches...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:55:08 pm »
In my opinion the Dev matches are a place to have fun hang out with and meet the developers of the game which is pretty cool; costumes are just an incidental perk.  Muse do join competitions as Museasours from time to time, so if you want to play muse competitively you should look out for comps with 'Museasours' in it.

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:13 pm »
Okay.
But, let me pitch in my two cents, yet again.
Muse said in their DDOS attack post "This game and our players are our lives and everything we worked for".
That makes me a small part of their lives, and I'd like to think that an honor. So, this little life-part is gonna say his piece, with your blessing.

My only real idea for a fix: for future developer matches, might just wanna splash out the Muse players as evenly across both teams as possible?
Like, 8 them, 2 on every ship in a 2v2? I understand, flying with friends is a lot more fun, but from an image standpoint, warming up to your customers is always a good thing.
It's spicing the work professionalism with a bit of human warmth. It can never be wrong =) We'd all like to fly with you.

But, then again, what exactly are the developer matches? A test of skill? A friendly exchange with the devs? Just a chance at a free hat? A social event for the devs?
There are a lot of answers, and I don't have the best of them, but by god, I'll try to find it. Once I understand exactly what the developer matches are aimed at, I'll have a better peace of mind about the whole thing.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 07:40:15 pm »
Dev matches aren't only for you, muse wants to have fun by flying together, gods know they work quite hard on this game so they deserve a break once in a while :)

They don't play often however and they are pretty terrible at it (no offense), so it's usually not hard to win unless you have troll teammates.

re:luck and getting stuck with trolls. You just have to be quick about it. Get a ship or three of nice people together, then tell muse the situation and ask for lobby password in advance. I'm sure they'll accommodate. In a pinch you don't even need full crews, 3 nice people should suffice to cover the pilot slots and secure most of a win right there.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 12:49:24 am »
My only real idea for a fix: for future developer matches, might just wanna splash out the Muse players as evenly across both teams as possible?
Like, 8 them, 2 on every ship in a 2v2? I understand, flying with friends is a lot more fun, but from an image standpoint, warming up to your customers is always a good thing.
It's spicing the work professionalism with a bit of human warmth. It can never be wrong =) We'd all like to fly with you.

Isn't the point of it to beat the devs?  i.e. they need to all be on one team so that the other team can beat them for a prize?

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 01:05:11 am »

Isn't the point of it to beat the devs?  i.e. they need to all be on one team so that the other team can beat them for a prize?

That's what I thought, I've always found it confuzzling that they let the teams scramble.

Get stuck with a plonker as a pilot, this is unfortunate and only luck, all you can do is try again next week.

The fact people are offered a free gift just for playing against the devs is a real kindness from the devs as they're removing a need for people to pay for items, thus removing a form of income for themselves..

But yeah all I can suggest is try again next dev match.
Watch the dev match on Twitch to get the password earlier and choose which team you'll be on. :)

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 06:24:43 am »
I guess it is what it is.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 06:48:55 am »
The most important thing to make a note of though, is that they host the dev matches! :)
A dev team who want to be involved with their community and want to reward their community in a small way, just for spending time with them.
A bad pilot and loosing the matches is unfortunate, all you can do is advise him better tactics and give him hints and tips during the match.

I once had a dev match with an engineer on my ship, he had some tech issues which caused him to be unable to move in game, while me and Keyvias tried to help him, mid-match he admitted he didn't want the tech help, but did want a win, so I took a screenshot of the mid-match screen to proove his name on my ship, explained I'd email that screenshot to muse as proof he took part, if he'd use esc afk option to give me an AI engineer... The player refused labelling my words as lies while staying on ship, while his character struggled to move, done no repairs..
Two matches we lost like that, maybe he was troll, maybe he was just genuinely unable to trust my word, but it happened and everyone else on my team tried their best for a win, but we still lost, it happens. Three days later I took part in the next dev match and got a win, which I used to get a gift for my friend.

:)

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 08:31:03 am »

The most obvious one is how starting your three matches (assuming you never win) with a bad captain can completly bone you for every rematch (you'll probably lose each one).
It also didn't help that the first match started with the Muse team loading two full boats. Possibly stacked matches asides, is this whole "stuck with a total donker" issue actually fixable?
Vote out captains between matches? Nope, Muse is strictly against any vote based exclusion. 
Send players to a dev-match specific lobby where they can recrew onto teams? Seems like a lot of effort for it, programming wise.
I guess that condensed, I am finding it disheartening how vs developer matches, a chance for players to tast their SKILL vs the devs, can be screwed from the start by the pure essence of LUCK.

So, is the only solution to join as a pre-made team of competence? With people you know you play well with? Actually, can you even join as a team with one click?
What are ya'all's feelings about this thing? I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or what to think. Just my 2 cents.

2 words:

Git

Gud

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 10:58:19 am »

2 words:

Git

Gud

Herdi hehr.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 11:54:24 am »
It would be highly unfair to let people come to DevMatch with whole teams. It would be even harder to get there. I mean, imagine that since DevMatches are 3v3, 2 ships of Devs, so it leaves you with 4 ships to crew by players. So SPQR, Rydr and 2 some other big clans would always get there with their teams and no one other would play.

If you want to be less luck dependent just wait like a month when player count drops back to 500ish during prime-time. Or just suck it up, it happens, and it's completely normal that Devs want to play with each other on their ships rather than playing with randoms. Like every reasonable person playing GOIO.

Someone said well that Muse is playing competetivelly also, so if you want to fight them with your team, look for them in competitions.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 12:11:53 pm »
If muse are joining competitive, I want to see Queso piloting alongside Ayetach doing Galleon Squid combo. Ayetach on Galleon Queso in squid.

8)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 12:28:55 pm »

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 01:15:50 pm »
Ahhh the glory days. I only got to fly cause the usual suspects were out that weekend :P. I oughta start up a team.

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 02:39:50 pm »
Ahhh the glory days. I only got to fly cause the usual suspects were out that weekend :P. I oughta start up a team.

All muse team I wager.