Author Topic: The Tip Jar, a collection of community tips  (Read 85417 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: The Tip Jar, a collection of community tips
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2013, 07:51:04 am »
If you are just starting out, get to rank 2 in all classes/roles before committing to getting lvl 3 in one, thus getting locked out of beginner matches "early." It broadens your perspective on all the classes, and doesn't potentially thrust you into the wild unknown.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2013, 01:51:55 pm »
When in doubt, go engineer (unless you're in the captain's slot, in which case you should definitely be a pilot).

When your captain doesn't ask for any particular engineer tools, don't bring a buff hammer. Go mallet-spanner-extinguisher/chem.

If you don't see the guns that your captain is referring to, look for a ladder (I've solved many problems on my Pyra by saying "there's a ladder right here, near the helm").

Offline Puggerugger

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2013, 05:29:37 pm »
Shatter damage hurts engines and guns, pierce damage hurts armour, explosive hurts permahull and flechette hurts balloons. Fire is good against everything except permahull. Always buff the hull, never buff the balloon.

When playing engie/gunner always bring a spyglass as helm skills are of no use to you. Mark targets when you see them, even in a fight. Take any break in the action you can be it a repair cool down or your gun reloading, this helps everybody, even hull engineers. It especially helps your allies who want to get behind your enemy to surprise them and save your ass.

When using a manticore, unless the target goes out of your arc, don't let go of the trigger.

And remember, never enter a 2v1, unless its a 2v1 in your favor.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »
Fire is good against everything except permahull.

That's not exactly correct. Fire damage is excellent against permahull (1.3, barely lower than explosive), and terrible against guns and engines (0.25).

Always buff the hull, never buff the balloon.

Or rather, never buff it unless asked. Some captains like using balloon buffs to rapidly rise or drop.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:24 pm »
I want my balloon always buffed.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2013, 12:55:00 am »
I want my balloon always buffed.

Same

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2013, 06:28:38 pm »
I don't know if anyone posted these already:

-Don't fire explosive weapons until the armor is stripped. This little bit of patience will get your crew kills much quicker than when you're stuck reloading when your chaingunner just brought down the hull armor.
-When setting up ships, restrict yourself to just 1 explosive gun in attacking position. So on the Mobula, this would be two chainguns and one flak/mortar rather than one chaingun and two flak/mortar, the explosive weapons do extremely high damage when the hull is down, so it's much more important to get the hull down.
-Opponents see your flares and see your ship through clouds you flare, so don't use it when trying to go across a cloud you don't see behind.
-When chasing or having an advantage try to match the speed of your target to prevent you overshooting him.
-When fleeing or having an disadvantage, you can try to force an overshoot, by going right by him; even as a squid.
-When a team deathmatch starts, always fly towards your teammate before taking any further action. Do not under any circumstances charge the opponent head on without support.
-When fleeing, do not herd your opponents to your teammates, unless they explicitly tell you that you can do so. When you herd opponents towards your teammate, your teammate can come under fire, forcing him to drop whatever he was doing, making him even less capable of helping you.
-In CP, do not chase that goldfish/squid that is speeding away from the capture point.
-Always, and I really mean ALWAYS, talk with your crew before readying up.
-Always tell your captain what you are planning to do/doing.
-Always obey the captain's orders; this is imperative, because when you listen it is his fault when things go wrong rather than yours, that means the captain has less variables to deal with and he can learn from his mistakes a lot faster.
-When captains give repair commands, usually the closest engineer to the to be repaired object gets the job. If that engineer is overworked(is firing weapons or has to repair too many things) he needs to inform his crew so that the captain can either shift priorities or assign another engineer to the job.
-If a target is in firing range, first ask your captain if that is your current target; good captains will give explicit orders on who to fire on, it's imperative that you listen to that.
-Report any failures to comply to order to your captain. That means if your gun is reloading,  your gun is out of arc or your gun is out of range you inform your captain so he can take the appropriate decision.
-Understand that while this is just a game, you wouldn't see anyone throwing the ball to the opponents in a basketball game either. Cooperation is imperative for your team to succeed and for you to play and enjoy the game to its fullest.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:31:28 pm by QKO »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2013, 12:27:48 pm »
A corollary to "-When fleeing, do not herd your opponents to your teammates, unless they explicitly tell you that you can do so. When you herd opponents towards your teammate, your teammate can come under fire, forcing him to drop whatever he was doing, making him even less capable of helping you."

If you see your teammate under fire and running tell him where you are in relation to him (compass direction and altitude). A captain under fire has a lot to worry about and may not check the map for the best direction to escape to.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35:11 pm »
I don't know, if I'm in a situation where running actually makes sense, then I always herd them to a teammate.  I tell my teammate to set up shop and let the enemy run into a gun line, now they either have to keep shooting me or shoot at my ally.  If they keep shooting me I won't make my turn until my ally has closer range fire against the enemy than they have to me if they switch targets then I'll turn sooner and get a nice 2v2 going.

Actually this is my favorite tactic when I run squid with an allied Galleon.  Agro the enemy a bit then scamper off like I'm wounded and lead them into a gun line.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2013, 01:26:42 pm »
I don't know, if I'm in a situation where running actually makes sense, then I always herd them to a teammate.  I tell my teammate to set up shop and let the enemy run into a gun line, now they either have to keep shooting me or shoot at my ally.  If they keep shooting me I won't make my turn until my ally has closer range fire against the enemy than they have to me if they switch targets then I'll turn sooner and get a nice 2v2 going.

Actually this is my favorite tactic when I run squid with an allied Galleon.  Agro the enemy a bit then scamper off like I'm wounded and lead them into a gun line.
Good Galleon captains will explicitly tell you that you should herd the opponents past them :P My case is specifically referring to the situations where a squid is drawing fire to a friendly something like a pyramidion or junker while those ships are in the process of killing a target. If these ships get interrupted, that target will live and the ships are stuck doing defensive moves. Ships like Galleons on the contrary can use some entertainment.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2013, 01:59:55 pm »
For such moves u need to understand what ship u have and ur ally has. Draw someone in the firing line of a spire/galleon/mob is a great thing as that are mostly stationary ships who want to kill the enemy on long to modranges. The other ships are mostly brawlers or close to midrange ships which want to get their enemy from their blindspot to get them killed.
So as a goldy/squid its a good move to get the enemy into the fire of a spire/mob or galleon as the enemy may understand to not directly engage the enemy but may fall to ur bait when u offer him sth looking as an easy kill.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2013, 05:14:53 pm »
Nah, lead every enemy to my pyramdion or Junker. I want them all.

Offline Sane Alex

• Salutes: 1
    • [OVWp]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2013, 04:05:47 pm »
Some pilots I've flown with need to think a bit more about basics than strategies. I found some easy-to-remember rules to help them with that.

Basic Flying Rules:

1. Try to stay in the middle of the air.

2. Do not go near the edges of it.

3. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2013, 01:51:30 pm »
Here is a trick for determining if a ship is friendly or not. All friendly ship show up as triangles on the GUI compass as do all marked enemy ships. So if you see a ship that is not marked (does not have a white box), but does show up as a triangle on your compass that ship is friendly. If that ship does not show up on your compass it is hostile. Obviously if it has a white box and show up on your compass it is hostile.

This trick doesn't always work if you are trying to pick out a hostile in an unmarked muti ship melee as which ship lines up with which compass marker isn't always clear. However when a single airship unexpectedly pops out of the clouds a quick glance at the compass will tell you if there are any friendly ships in that direction.

Condensed version:
If you are not sure if a ship without a white box is friendly or not, look at the compass. If there is a triangle ship marker in the ship's direction, it is friendly.

Offline Dresdom

• Salutes: 15
    • [Don]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »
NECROMANCY!!

I really think this thread shouldn't go into oblivion. And I REALLY really think Muse should put all those tips, along with excerpts from the manual, into the loading map and waiting to deploy screens, specially in novice games.