Author Topic: The Tip Jar, a collection of community tips  (Read 85129 times)

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: The Tip Jar, a collection of community tips
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2014, 02:19:00 am »
Don't always rely on teammates, sometimes you have new guys who don't listen to what you ask.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2014, 05:05:29 am »
always look around you, there might be another enemy close.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2014, 06:43:46 pm »
5.  Always wack a component with the mallet before using a fire extinguisher! 
This statement is outdated (though it still contains some truth - in combat situations its usually a good idea to rather repair burning components than to extinguish them as the damage dealt by fires tends to be relatively low compared to damage dealt by weapons pointing at your ship).

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2014, 09:51:54 pm »
i still see people turning the arse to the enemy when leaving the battle
also if engines are down use balleon to get away from enemy

Offline Jereven

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2014, 12:56:58 am »
Patience Wins Matches.  I've never seen a team win that had people spamming "Ready up!" (Sadly, this includes when I'm on the other ship of the same team.)

Advice anyone on these forums knows, but I frequently have to share in lobbies.

Offline Ariden

• Salutes: 21
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2014, 08:43:20 pm »
I don't know if these have already been said, but here are my recommendations (how I pilot normally):

Always know the capacities of your ships before charging into battle. Sometimes it is better to be sneaky than to face the enemy head on, depending on your ship.

My recommended standard captain load-outs are: Phoenix claw to boost turn, Moonshine/Kerosine to boost speed, and Hydrogen/Drogue chute to alternate altitude.

Even on the Spire (the fastest turning ship) Phoenix claw is extremely helpful.

I recommend that you put mine launchers on the back of your ships which allow guns there, the Galleon and Squid. This makes running away easier as it is distracting for the enemy.

If you are a squid and you are battling a Pyramidion, Mobula or Galleon, ALWAYS get behind them. Do not use this tactic when battling a Spire, however, because they turn quickly and have their gun on you while you are still flying around them.

If your ally dies and you are stuck in a 2v1, concentrate mostly on repairs and try to standby while your ally comes back. Your ally then can provide a distraction while you fix your ship.

And yes, patience and planning are essential - never underestimate them!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:46:25 pm by Ariden »

Offline Nosgard SilverClaw

• Salutes: 1
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2014, 12:53:06 pm »
Don't join a ship as a gunner that already has a gunner patiently waiting in the lobby, unless you have the express permission of the ships captain. We gunners should at least try to be curteous to one another. :)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2014, 03:03:47 pm »
As a captain, ask your engineer(s) to get ready on the hull and/or balloon a couple of seconds before you ram an enemy. this ensures that your most vital components get maintained right after the impact.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2014, 03:55:49 pm »
@Ariden: Chute Vent is the one that lets you descend quicker, not Drogue Chute. Also the Spire isn't the fastest turning ship. The Squid is.

Offline Cootersneeze

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
    • Cootsy's FB Page
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2014, 04:01:28 pm »
Make sure you choose your class before you join a game that's already happening. You don't wanna be a second steerer on ANY ship.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2014, 11:33:28 am »
Copilot is best tactic.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2014, 06:50:10 pm »
Copilot is best tactic.

Shush geo, you guys probably confuse all the new players with your madness.

Offline Schwerbelastung

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 15
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before. It might seem basic, but it's really important.

When you enter a lobby or a game, let the captain/rest of the crew know that you can communicate with them or at least listen to them/read their messages. A simple "hi" in voice or text will often reassure the captain/crew that you're likely not "dead weight", especially if you are low level. Also, confirming someone else's request / a captain's order doesn't take long. You literally only have to press "L, O, K, <enter>".

Pllease learn to do this. It will be for the best.

You can use in-game crew voice (X) to talk. As a captain, you can also use captain's chat which only works between captains of the same team (C), to communicate.

J, K, and L are for match/team/crew text chat. There is no crew voice button for lobbies. In the lobby, everyone can use C to talk only to their own team.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2014, 01:49:17 pm »
Make sure you set your class in the lobby browser (before clicking on any matches!!!) by clicking on the icons in the upper right corner of the screen. Sometimes the match will start immediately after you join, sometimes the system will glitch out and won't let you change class before dumping you into the match in progress. Don't be that 3rd gunner/4th pilot ;)

If the above happens to you, you can change class by quitting the match, changing your class, and finding the match again in the match browser (NOT THE RESUME BUTTON). If you just want to change your loadout, you can use the resume button.

Did you see that ship's map ion/compass icon turn yellow? Yellow represents "last known position", and it happens because the ship went into a cloud or just died .#TheMoreYouKnow

It is pointless calling for everyone to ready up, because no one cares ;)

Support your teammate! Don't be afraid to play aggressive to save your teammate's bum, but also don't rush into a meat grinder situation where you arrive just as your teammate dies. Also, don't be afraid to run, but know if/when the enemy ship is going to catch up to you anyway-you might as well turn around and try to fight them off before making good on your escape.

Press V, see signal chooser, mind blown. Use it if you have no mic and are a slow typer.

Play on the beginner ships before moving on to the hard ones. The hard ships are hard not just because they're hard to fly, but because it's hard for the engineers to keep it alive. You will be stomped if you fly the Spire on your first flight ;)

If you're the captain, if you're not going to talk or type, at least use the V signals to indicate which guns to use.

As the captain, you can press B(?) to put some extra crosshairs on any ship for your crew to see.

Do you hate Paritan and Canyon Ambush because you keep hitting walls? SLOW DOWN.